Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 08-15-2006, 01:59 PM   #1
zogo

Default The War in the West

I've been thinking about running IN in the Old West. Looking over the timeline I see that Fleurity isn't a prince, Nybass's status will depend on my exact year, Kahlid isn't in good standing, Eli is, Kobal's activity level is still High, and Mammon is still a major prince. I can't tell when Christopher becomes an Archangel, does anyone know when?

Vapula and Jean need different attunements than Corebook, for Vapula that's no problem, they are in Rogues to Riches, but does anyone have any for Jean?

Anyone have any cool Wild West War ideas?
zogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:12 PM   #2
alexondria

Default Re: The War in the West

Here's my first instincts for Jean in the few minutes before I have to leave:

Serephim: The same- producing a floating display out of no where isn't any more belivable now than it was then.

Cherubim: Perhaps just have it relate to a telegraph machine instead of a phone.

Ofanim: Again their were telagraph wires that they could use- their were railroads w/ metal tracks ect.

Elohim: Perhaps they could have something like a notebook that conviently has that information that they are looking for- they just have to figure out where they wrote it- Notes from other servitors could appear as just envelopes with a letter in the book- thus simulating internet information availabilty and e-mail.

Malakim: Don't see a reason to change- they had technology then- just not the same.

Kyriotates: Don't see a reason to change

Mercurians: Don't see a reason to change

Generator: Don't see a reason to change

Remote Control: Don't see a reason to change

Most of these don't seem like the lack of today's tech would really limit them that much.
alexondria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:11 AM   #3
zogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexondria
Here's my first instincts for Jean in the few minutes before I have to leave:

Cherubim: Perhaps just have it relate to a telegraph machine instead of a phone.

Elohim: Perhaps they could have something like a notebook that conviently has that information that they are looking for- they just have to figure out where they wrote it- Notes from other servitors could appear as just envelopes with a letter in the book- thus simulating internet information availabilty and e-mail.

Most of these don't seem like the lack of today's tech would really limit them that much.
I don't know about Cherubim I'll have to think on it.

Hmm... Elohim maybe have to think about that too.

One thing I am ready for is my fast-draw house rule.
Fast Draw duels precede firing with a Contest of Agility. (yes this can be boosted by Ofanite resonance). Winner goes first. yeah it's pretty simple.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:09 PM   #4
Sagitta

Default a darker West

In a darker picture, Jordi would be the single most powerful Superior, supported by some of the few people in the world who still give him due respect. However, he knows he's fighting a losing battle against the relentless westward encroachment of a tide of humanity spurred on by so many of the aristocracy of Hell:
  • Baal foresees the greatest military power in the world, and strives to teach it the glories of imperialism and genocide.
  • Haagenti has a taste for passenger pigeon this week. And, mmm, buffalo.
  • Lilith calls on the desperate to escape westwards, forsaking their debts and their dependants in a place where shady characters can leave behind the consequences of their misdeeds.
  • Malphas also encourages people to reject their communities and strike out on their own. Besides that, he promises every religious cult its own valley, free from the conventions of society. Just remember you can't trust them Indians - or them Mexicans - or them Chinese. Oh yes, and this is a fine place and time for feudin'.
  • Mammon is at the height of his power. Robber barons, with their hired guns and political mastery, delight him even more than the plutocrats back east.
  • Valefor is the champion of all robbers, from card-sharp to claim-jumper, cattle-rustler to conman, bandit to corrupt lawman. Greatest of all are those who use force and guile to steal entire countries from their inhabitants.
  • Vapula urges the iron horse across the land, bringing the miracles of technology to a backward corner of the globe. Is it simply the gleam of madness, or, do we already see visions of Los Alamos and Silicon Valley shining in his eyes?
The thing that hurts the Archangel of Animals most, though, is Heaven's betrayal of his cause. Dominc and Khalid, Jean and Janus, Marc and Michael have united against him, and even Yves seems to see more potential in expanding civilisation than resisting it. Jordi can sometimes persuade Eli or Novalis to lend a hand, and he makes common cause with some of the strongest surviving ethereals, but only David is steadfast in his support - and that is more from personal honour than from conviction in the Kyriotate's rightness.

Last edited by Sagitta; 08-16-2006 at 03:11 PM. Reason: copyedit
Sagitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:20 AM   #5
timespike

You might want to come up with something different for Marc's Head of a PIN attunement. ATMs didn't exist back then.

"May you never meet a truly good man, he'll kill you without a word." -Sam Vimes from Men at Arms by Terry Pratchett
timespike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 12:14 PM   #6
zogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by timespike
You might want to come up with something different for Marc's Head of a PIN attunement. ATMs didn't exist back then.
Good point hadn't thought of that.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:30 PM   #7
tylrlsaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by timespike

Letter of Credit, maybe? You activate the ability as you walk into the bank, and you find a letter of credit in your pocket. You go to the teller, and you get the funds.
tylrlsaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:49 PM   #8
zogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylrlsaa
Letter of Credit, maybe? You activate the ability as you walk into the bank, and you find a letter of credit in your pocket. You go to the teller, and you get the funds.
Good although, 1 essence probably shouldn't get you 100 1880s dollars. How much should I cut that? Maybe to 25? remember that given you need an open bank it is harder than finding an ATM in modern America.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:44 PM   #9
milliken

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogo
Good although, 1 essence probably shouldn't get you 100 1880s dollars. How much should I cut that? Maybe to 25?
Probably should be more like $5-$10.

See http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

I'd just have it produce the appropriate coin, I believe there were $5 gold coins in circulation about then.

---Walter
milliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:48 AM   #10
zogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliken
Probably should be more like $5-$10.
I'll go with $10 then, while $5 is much more accurate the added hassle is enough to double it I think.

EDIT: btw thanks for the link, that's a neat tool.

Last edited by zogo; 08-21-2006 at 09:36 AM.