Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-30-2007, 04:04 PM   #1
Lord Morpheus

Default DR Switchable

I was think about this today.
Is I like that DR are Switchable, that I can "Turne off" or "turne on". Is this possible? Is this the normal way of the advantage?

And if I like the standard mode is "Off", that will be a limitation? How much?

Last edited by Lord Morpheus; 10-30-2007 at 04:09 PM.
Lord Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:21 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: DR Switchable

By default, DR is always on - you don't have to spend an action to activate it, it's just there. This also means it's always visible - since it's not explicitly described as hard to notice, it's always obvious that you have DR. If you want to make it so that your DR can be "turned off" - that is, you won't have the DR, but it also won't be obvious that you have the advantage, apply the Switchable enhancement, from Powers. If you want the DR to be on all the time, but not obvious, add the Low or No Signature enhancement.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:26 PM   #3
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Damage Resistance is normally "always on," per the first paragraph of Turning Advantages Off and On (p. B34). It has no crippling bulk or appearance issues by default, so "it never inconveniences you."

There's little value to being able to switch DR on and off. You must still add Switchable, +10% if you wish to do that, though. Presumably, if you want such a feature, you have ways of making it useful. You can balance that cost with Nuisance Effect and so on to get DR at +0% that's funny-looking or bulky when on, out of the way when off. This isn't a net drawback, because once again, it has its uses. If nothing else, it's really annoying to have to subtract DR from the HT rolls for beneficial Afflictions, or to turn aside hypodermics when you need to be immunized against plagues!

Finally, you can take limitations that shut down or reduce the availability of your DR. These are most often such things as Accessibility and Uncontrollable. If you have a drawback like that, then you don't need Switchable as well.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:56 PM   #4
Lord Morpheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Damage Resistance is normally "always on," per the first paragraph of Turning Advantages Off and On (p. B34). It has no crippling bulk or appearance issues by default, so "it never inconveniences you."

There's little value to being able to switch DR on and off. You must still add Switchable, +10% if you wish to do that, though. Presumably, if you want such a feature, you have ways of making it useful. You can balance that cost with Nuisance Effect and so on to get DR at +0% that's funny-looking or bulky when on, out of the way when off. This isn't a net drawback, because once again, it has its uses. If nothing else, it's really annoying to have to subtract DR from the HT rolls for beneficial Afflictions, or to turn aside hypodermics when you need to be immunized against plagues!

Finally, you can take limitations that shut down or reduce the availability of your DR. These are most often such things as Accessibility and Uncontrollable. If you have a drawback like that, then you don't need Switchable as well.
OK, that was my thought. But if my DR is standard "off", in other words, if I sleep or fall unconscious my DR will turne off. Is that a Limitation? -10%? With the Switchable will be 0%?
Lord Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:05 PM   #5
HeroPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Morpheus
OK, that was my thought. But if my DR is standard "off", in other words, if I sleep or fall unconscious my DR will turne off. Is that a Limitation? -10%? With the Switchable will be 0%?
As far as I'm aware, that's a 0% special effect that you define at the time of creation. Reverting to 0 DR, remaining in full DR, and remaining in whatever mode you were in at loss of consciousness are all roughly equivalent in value, for many of the reasons Kromm stated.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:14 PM   #6
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroPenguin
As far as I'm aware, that's a 0% special effect that you define at the time of creation. Reverting to 0 DR, remaining in full DR, and remaining in whatever mode you were in at loss of consciousness are all roughly equivalent in value, for many of the reasons Kromm stated.
That's for a switchable advantage, though. For one that's normally always on, I'd say that's some sort of Accessibility limitation. -20% sounds about right for "not while unconscious".
Old 10-30-2007, 06:23 PM   #7
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen
That's for a switchable advantage, though. For one that's normally always on, I'd say that's some sort of Accessibility limitation. -20% sounds about right for "not while unconscious".
Yeah, it's a limitation, but -20% seems a bit high to me in light of the Accessibility guidelines given in Powers, implying that the DR will only work about half the time. Since there are so many other things opponents can do once you are unconscious besides try to bypass your DR, it's like a minor limiter IMO.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:18 PM   #8
HeroPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen
Assuming that the advantage wasn't made Switchable, yes, that's true. However, it already was made Switchable, which quite clearly states on p.109 of Powers that you specify what state the ability assumes when unconscious, whether that is on, off, or remaining in its current state. There's no extra limitation or enhancement cost for any of these options. Since Switchable is an enhancement intended for abilities that are always on by default, that's that.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:43 PM   #9
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
Yeah, it's a limitation, but -20% seems a bit high to me in light of the Accessibility guidelines given in Powers, implying that the DR will only work about half the time.
Good point - I was basing it on the value for "half the time", but of course the average person doesn't spend nearly half their time unconscious. Basing it strictly on time spent unconscious, -15% would be right, but it's easy to stop being unconscious, so -10% sounds more fair.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:45 PM   #10
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroPenguin
Assuming that the advantage wasn't made Switchable, yes, that's true. However, it already was made Switchable,
Was it? If the OP wants a power that they can switch on and off while conscious, and that turns itself off when unconscious, then, yeah, that's the case. However, if what they want is DR that only stops working when they're unconscious, then I'd say that's the Accessibility.

Tags
limited enhancements, switchable