Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 06-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
ISNorden

Default New Servitor Attunement for Lightning

Read the Forgotten Manual

By spending one Essence, the user of this attunement can create documentation (a printout, a CD, or even a help file) relevant to someone else's technical problems. The documentation must have a real-world counterpart (such as "uninstall information for Windows 95"); if no mortals have recorded the right knowledge yet, then Read the Forgotten Manual automatically fails. Created materials vanish after as many hours as the user has total Forces, unless he spends more Essence to keep them available.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:09 AM   #2
JCD

Default Re: New Servitor Attunement for Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISNorden View Post
Read the Forgotten Manual

By spending one Essence, the user of this attunement can create documentation (a printout, a CD, or even a help file) relevant to someone else's technical problems. The documentation must have a real-world counterpart (such as "uninstall information for Windows 95"); if no mortals have recorded the right knowledge yet, then Read the Forgotten Manual automatically fails. Created materials vanish after as many hours as the user has total Forces, unless he spends more Essence to keep them available.
What? Angels of Lightning don't need to read the stinking manual...at least if they are in male vessels...
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
What? Angels of Lightning don't need to read the stinking manual...at least if they are in male vessels...
LOL :D :D :D

I can't think of a tech support person who *wouldn't* want this, celestial or corporeal.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
Acolyte

Perhaps this attunement could come with something a la the Destiny attunement that makes the listener believe the angel's logic (at least temporarily): "Not only does this disc contain the correct solution to your problem, but you will follow its instructions precisely."

You might also want to clarify how extra Essence expenditure increases the duration (I assume one more Essence doubles the duration but that isn't expressly laid out).

Good job, otherwise.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acolyte View Post
Perhaps this attunement could come with something a la the Destiny attunement that makes the listener believe the angel's logic (at least temporarily): "Not only does this disc contain the correct solution to your problem, but you will follow its instructions precisely."

You might also want to clarify how extra Essence expenditure increases the duration (I assume one more Essence doubles the duration but that isn't expressly laid out).

Good job, otherwise.
Actually, I would love a separate but related attunement that works like Divine Logic, but instead of getting someone to BELIEVE the angel's argument, it allows someone to COMPREHEND the angel's instructions. Say, roll Precision (with a potential penalty depending on the complexity of the subject) to basically teach anyone how to carry out any one task properly within their physical abilities, at least for the next time they try. Super useful for angels with less bright Servants.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
Acolyte

Illumination
By spending one Essence and taking the time to instruct someone how to perform a task, the angel can guarantee that the chosen listener will both understand the instructions and follow them faithfully when next, if ever, attempting the task. The task must be something the listener is capable of doing, but the listener is not forced to complete it. For actions that do not require a roll, the listener achieves a speedy, complete success. For actions that do require a roll, the listener gets a bonus equal to the angel's Precision. The task must also be something that detailed instructions alone enough can cover; using complicated features of a detailed software program would qualify, but hacking the CIA database would not.

Raphael originally discovered this attunement, but she disliked its lack of depth, preferring to teach humanity knowledge permanently. She shared it with Jean, whose Servitors have often used it to improve efficiency when dealing with the frightfully uneducated human masses.

Last edited by Acolyte; 06-10-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Acolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
Jason

Quote:
Illumination
By spending one Essence and taking the time to instruct someone how to perform a task, the angel can guarantee that the chosen listener will both understand the instructions and follow them faithfully when next, if ever, attempting the task. The task must be something the listener is capable of doing, but the listener is not forced to complete it. For actions that do not require a roll, the listener achieves a speedy, complete success. For actions that do require a roll, the listener gets a bonus equal to the angel's Precision. The task must also be something that detailed instructions alone enough can cover; using complicated features of a detailed software program would qualify, but hacking the CIA database would not.

Raphael originally discovered this attunement, but she disliked its lack of permanency, preferring to teach humanity knowledge permanently. She shared it with Jean, whose Servitors have often used it to improve efficiency when dealing with the often frightfully uneducated human masses.
I love it! (And the title, and the history.) I was briefly concerned that adding the entire Precision score (rather than check digit of angel's successful Precision roll) would be too big a bonus, or that it could have abusive combat uses (like teaching "how to shoot at a moving target," with massive overflow into check digit). But then again, it's limited by its duration (one roll), cost (an Essence), and prep time (however long it takes to teach someone something). Back to loving it again.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #8
alexondria

Quote:
Illumination

Raphael originally discovered this attunement, but she disliked its lack of permanency, preferring to teach humanity knowledge permanently. She shared it with Jean, whose Servitors have often used it to improve efficiency when dealing with the often frightfully uneducated human masses.
I also like the fact that this could be used on other angels. No longer does that servitor of Jean have to worry about whether or not the servitor of Blandine knows enough to not plant flowers in her computer- they can tell her how to fix the problem and she will listen.
alexondria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:34 AM   #9
ISNorden

Thank you, everyone who commented: I should add the note about extending the duration of RTFM. Rocket Man was concerned about the base duration being too long to begin with; if an hour per Force seems excessive, I could cut it down to 10 minutes times the user's total Forces. (A typical "newbie" angel who served Jean would still have an hour and a half to consult the material, and could probably spend another Essence if he needed to keep searching.)

Adding Illumination as a companion attunement, too, is a stroke of genius. The Angel of Technical Support probably relies on those two abilities to further his Word... :-)
Old 06-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #10
JCD

Question: Why does it need to be a physical manual? How about allowing them to become 'Illuminated' from a deeper understanding of technology?

Or, as an alternative:

Third Tier Tech Support (Distinction): This celestial, in 10 - Ethereal Forces minutes of tinkering with a device or program, can decifer any technical device as if he had the operators manual, tech support tree, and mechanical ops specs.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angels, attunements, jean, lightning, new attunements, servitor attunements