Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 11-15-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
ISNorden

Default [Attunements] New Creation Attunement: One of Us

One of Us

This attunement works the same as Asmodeus' "Humanity" attunement, described in the core rules. An angel using it becomes the equivalent of a 5-Force human (with all the needs, vulnerabilities, and advantages of humanity) for the next 24 hours. He loses access to all Songs, resonances, and attunements during that time; but he cannot gain new dissonance or cause Symphonic disturbance either.

If an angel under One of Us is killed, his spirit enters Heaven via the Pearly Gates as a human soul would; however, a fellow Creationer can guide him back to the right Heart in Eli's Cathedral.

NOTE: If the GM has ruled that the Humanity attunement makes demons the equivalent of Hellsworn mortals (6-7 Forces, limited Song access)...then One of Us should work similarly, making angels the equivalent of a Soldier of God.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: [Attunements] New Creation Attunement: One of Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISNorden View Post
One of Us

This attunement works the same as Asmodeus' "Humanity" attunement, described in the core rules. An angel using it becomes the equivalent of a 5-Force human (with all the needs, vulnerabilities, and advantages of humanity) for the next 24 hours. He loses access to all Songs, resonances, and attunements during that time; but he cannot gain new dissonance or cause Symphonic disturbance either.

If an angel under One of Us is killed, his spirit enters Heaven via the Pearly Gates as a human soul would; however, a fellow Creationer can guide him back to the right Heart in Eli's Cathedral.

NOTE: If the GM has ruled that the Humanity attunement makes demons the equivalent of Hellsworn mortals (6-7 Forces, limited Song access)...then One of Us should work similarly, making angels the equivalent of a Soldier of God.
I like it. Did the name come from the "Joan of Arcadia" theme song?

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:54 AM   #3
ISNorden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
I like it. Did the name come from the "Joan of Arcadia" theme song?
Should have known that our head filker-in-residence would know where I got that name! *high-five*
Old 11-17-2011, 03:40 AM   #4
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
One of Us

And me being the horror film geek thought immediately of the film "Freaks".

This would be a great way to pass for human. It could also be used as a training/correction aid, if an angel got a little too noisy with his powers. To learn a little humility by having to do without such special effects, he might see the hurdles mere humans face, and how bravely we face them.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
Phoenix42

Hm, I had posted, but obviously my post got Valefor'd somewhere along the way...

Anyway, I really like! As a snack for thought, Eli is the only guy without dissonance conditions - what if they gain certain dissonance conditions when in human form? Maybe with the dissonance only coming to bear once they change back...

And another random thought - speaking of Asmodeus, it just occurred to me that maybe there could be an alternative deception trick for the Gamers: I would call it "Bluff": you change a human, or otherwise entirely mundane character, into a celestial. At least, as far as appearances are concerned. The demon imbues the human with the ability to perceive disturbance, create disturbance, and sing any Song the demon knows, at the demon's skill level. Also (speaking from Gurps IN) his attribute levels are adjusted, in vanilla IN I guess he would gain "pseudo"-forces. Finally, the will occasionally speak Helltongue, which is likely to liven up their surroundings greatly...

The idea behind it is that you find some dupe and give them the power for 24 hrs - he/she will find themselves casting songs intuitively (Song of Attraction on that sexy co-worker), using heightened attributes ("this damn xerox machine!" *bash* *sickening crunch* "woops...") and hearing all kinds of strange stuff. The clumsy way any human is likely to react to suddenly finding they have superpowers will draw out any celestial, ethereal or renegade (!) within miles. You know the renegade Calabite is in the office building, but you don't know where? Afraid he will roast you when you come close? Here's your solution. After he roasts Alan from Marketing, you can bag him easily :)

Also works nicely when combined with Humanity, needless to say...
Phoenix42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #6
ISNorden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix42 View Post
Hm, I had posted, but obviously my post got Valefor'd somewhere along the way...

Anyway, I really like! As a snack for thought, Eli is the only guy without dissonance conditions - what if they gain certain dissonance conditions when in human form? Maybe with the dissonance only coming to bear once they change back...
I can think of one enforceable dissonance condition that might apply under One of Us: impregnating (or being impregnated by) a true human. Creating Nephilim, even by accident, insults the spirit of Eli's Word. The other one I'd considered (causing needless destruction) is either too strict or too lax: how would Heaven define a specific destructive act as needless?
Old 11-20-2011, 12:15 AM   #7
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
I can think of one enforceable dissonance condition that might apply under One of Us: impregnating (or being impregnated by) a true human. Creating Nephilim, even by accident, insults the spirit of Eli's Word. The other one I'd considered (causing needless destruction) is either too strict or too lax: how would Heaven define a specific destructive act as needless?
That's a kettle of fish! I always got the impression (evident if you've read my PbP) that Creation isn't bothered by crossbreeds so much as Eli has learned from hard experience that that story ends badly. One of the few (?) times an Archangel has consciously narrowed his Word to keep harmony in the Host and the Universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix42 View Post

And another random thought - speaking of Asmodeus, it just occurred to me that maybe there could be an alternative deception trick for the Gamers: I would call it "Bluff": you change a human, or otherwise entirely mundane character, into a celestial. At least, as far as appearances are concerned. The demon imbues the human with the ability to perceive disturbance, create disturbance, and sing any Song the demon knows, at the demon's skill level. Also (speaking from Gurps IN) his attribute levels are adjusted, in vanilla IN I guess he would gain "pseudo"-forces. Finally, the will occasionally speak Helltongue, which is likely to liven up their surroundings greatly...

The idea behind it is that you find some dupe and give them the power for 24 hrs - he/she will find themselves casting songs intuitively (Song of Attraction on that sexy co-worker), using heightened attributes ("this damn xerox machine!" *bash* *sickening crunch* "woops...") and hearing all kinds of strange stuff. The clumsy way any human is likely to react to suddenly finding they have superpowers will draw out any celestial, ethereal or renegade (!) within miles. You know the renegade Calabite is in the office building, but you don't know where? Afraid he will roast you when you come close? Here's your solution. After he roasts Alan from Marketing, you can bag him easily :)

Also works nicely when combined with Humanity, needless to say...
Nice idea, but I'd keep it crazy rare. Giving an average Joe some Songs, even for a short time, is begging to blow the wainscot off the walls. Now if the poor schlub got only, say, the making Disturbances part, that would be funny. He shreds some documents and demons all over the block want to know what happened...and the poor guy has no idea why.
Did I mention I like dark humor (and Dark Humor)? Imagine if the poor human casts Songs not intuitively but accidentally? --hums a happy tune and suddenly finds himself whizzing through the office, six inches off the floor-- (Corporeal Motion)
Old 11-20-2011, 01:19 AM   #8
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
Did I mention I like dark humor (and Dark Humor)? Imagine if the poor human casts Songs not intuitively but accidentally? --hums a happy tune and suddenly finds himself whizzing through the office, six inches off the floor-- (Corporeal Motion)
Sounds like one that not only fits Dark Humor, but Nightmares as well. :)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:04 AM   #9
Phoenix42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
Nice idea, but I'd keep it crazy rare. Giving an average Joe some Songs, even for a short time, is begging to blow the wainscot off the walls. Now if the poor schlub got only, say, the making Disturbances part, that would be funny. He shreds some documents and demons all over the block want to know what happened...and the poor guy has no idea why.
I agree with the rare part - but it could be an interesting hook for bringing an unknowing human character into the game... :)
Quote:
Actually, that's what I had in mind. Bad choice of words on my part, when I wrote intuitive, I meant uncontrolled. But you have a point about it being closer to Kobal. If it were any other prince, I would say it was a combined effort, hence the rarity... but not likely with those two... :(
Phoenix42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angels, attunements, creation, eli, humanity