Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-23-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Malediction-Proof + Reflective DR

Okay, my head hurts now. I’ve been trying to figure out, what, if any, interaction would exist between the Malediction-Proof enhancement (Psionic Powers, pg 14) and the Reflection enhancement (Characters, pg 47).

This is important, because one of the PCs in my IST game is considering taking Malediction-Proof on their Reflective DR.

Does it bounce the amount of damage normally, which they then resist against themselves?

Does it do nothing (like the goggles)?

Does it do something else?
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:20 AM   #2
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: Malediction-Proof + Reflective DR

Well, normally Reflective DR wouldn't do anything to damage from a Malediction but sends back other damage (assuming no other "ignore DR" modifiers), and the Malediction-Proof Enhancement seems to just make the DR it enhances work against Malediction damage normally in the absence of Reflection, so I'd just say that Malediction-Proof lets Reflection work as though it were not a Malediction while keeping everything else the same: The guy who sent the attack rolls Will to resist his own Skill, etc.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
starslayer

I don't like Gold & appel's answer because it makes having:

DR 1 Malediction proof, reflection == full power malediction hit the caster.

I would instead go with one of the following scenarios:
In both cases DR reduces margin of success, and if it reduces MOS below 0 then the malediction did not have any effect.

1- A malediction with skill = reflected damage hits the caster (so if mDR was 5, then max skill of a reflected attack is 5; note this has the interesting scenario where potentially both parties could be affected by an affliction)

2- ONLY if the mDR stops the attack (before the resistance roll) it is reflected with full force against the attacker. IE- Witch will skill 18 rolls a 15 (MOS 3) and hits someone with mDR 5 (making it a failure before resistance is even rolled)- witch now attacks self with malediction. If witch had rolled a 12 or below then the victim would just have gotten a +5 on there resistance roll.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
Tuoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post

DR 1 Malediction proof, reflection == full power malediction hit the caster.
Why would it be full power? Reflect only reflects the amount of damage it stops. Don't see why having the DR be effective against Maledictions would change that.

Unless your talking about non-damage Maledictions.

Hmm, how does Reflective DR work against non-Malediction Afflictions? I think it it has no effect. If so, Reflective on Malediction-proof DR would likewise have no effect.
Tuoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Okay, my head hurts now. I’ve been trying to figure out, what, if any, interaction would exist between the Malediction-Proof enhancement (Psionic Powers, pg 14) and the Reflection enhancement (Characters, pg 47).

This is important, because one of the PCs in my IST game is considering taking Malediction-Proof on their Reflective DR.

Does it bounce the amount of damage normally, which they then resist against themselves?

Does it do nothing (like the goggles)?

Does it do something else?
Use the same rule as for normal reflected damage, replacing "active defense" with "resistance." That is, the first time it happens, the attacker doesn't get a resistance roll. He gets his usual resistance against subsequent reflected attacks.

Regarding the other comments in this thread, the Reflection enhancement only interacts with damage. It has no special effect when resisting Afflictions -- your DR adds normally, but it won't bounce the Affliction back, whether Malediction is involved or not.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post

DR 1 Malediction proof, reflection == full power malediction hit the caster. [snip]
Yeah, I meant this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuoni View Post
Why would it be full power? Reflect only reflects the amount of damage it stops. Don't see why having the DR be effective against Maledictions would change that.
Sorry if I was unclear.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goggles do nothing, malediction-proof, reflection