Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
Finalsora811

Default Defense spells

Are there any spells in RAW that allow a Mage to parry using a spell skill instead of his own parry or allow him to block attacks with a spell or something similar to those?
Finalsora811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Defense spells

Iron Arm in the Protection and warning College.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
Finalsora811

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Iron Arm in the Protection and warning College.
Ok that's parry. Is there a Shield thingy version?
Old 05-21-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalsora811 View Post
Ok that's parry. Is there a Shield thingy version?
Not really. There is Shield (p167) and Block but that boost the DB of you shield and don't allow you to block without a shield. Using them as guidelines it would be reasonable to make one though.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:02 AM   #5
Finalsora811

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Not really. There is Shield (p167) and Block but that boost the DB of you shield and don't allow you to block without a shield. Using them as guidelines it would be reasonable to make one though.
I feel like Shield is kind of contradicting itself. It conjures an invisible shield, but doesn't allow you to block without a shield.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:08 AM   #6
Finalsora811

Also, is Blink the only dodging spell?
Old 05-22-2012, 12:21 AM   #7
vierasmarius

Quote:
I feel like Shield is kind of contradicting itself. It conjures an invisible shield, but doesn't allow you to block without a shield.
Yeah, there are two changes I'd make to Shield: it lets you Block without a physical shield; and the DB it provides is not cumulative with an equipped shield's DB. Likewise with the Block spell.

It's interesting to me that most Blocking spells, though they function effectively as Active Defenses, don't suffer the usual penalty of Skill/2+3. For instance, Blink gets to roll full skill to Dodge, and Iron Arm gets full skill to Parry. If those are available, there's no point every using the Block spell itself.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:54 AM   #8
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
It's interesting to me that most Blocking spells, though they function effectively as Active Defenses, don't suffer the usual penalty of Skill/2+3.
Thats because, unlike all other Active Parries you may only ever use one Blocking spell per turn. So if hit by more than one attack, you need to find other ways to defend.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:53 AM   #9
Gnome

Quote:
Also, is Blink the only dodging spell?
Although it's not listed as a type of dodge, Phase can defend against almost any attack. Deflect Missile and Return Missile work well against missile attacks. Fumble and Command are nice if you want to mess up your opponent while defending, but they're risky (the enemy might resist, at which point you've used up your defense, so you're getting hit unless you took an AoD: two defenses).

As far as the Shield spell, I don't have a problem with it being unable to block. I imagine that it just floats in the air in front of you, outside of your direct control but still helping to deflect some attacks on its own.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:57 AM   #10
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
As far as the Shield spell, I don't have a problem with it being unable to block. I imagine that it just floats in the air in front of you, outside of your direct control but still helping to deflect some attacks on its own.
I am of the same mind, though an actual Block spell would be a reasonable addition to the list. I would have gone with Force Dome as the Preq but the whole Protection and Warning college is an odd bird.

Tags
block, magic, parry, spells