Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-25-2022, 09:57 AM   #1
agentJ

Default Must have spells

I am wondering if there is a list of spells that are just more useful (useful in most/all situations) compared to limited use spells? When I think of wizards I think of utility, having a spell for every situation. Not sure if that works for this game. I know their are attack spells, magic fist, fire, lightning, etc. But how would you catagorize the non- attack spells?

TL/DR Looking for a list of spells that every wizard would find useful 95% of the time.
agentJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 10:37 AM   #2
Shostak

Default Re: Must have spells

A lot comes down to how you use them. In a recent game, Dark Vision and Darkness absolutely allowed a small team to take out a larger, superior force. In another, a Stop spell proved decisive against a 7-hex dragon. Scout can be an extremely useful spell, as can Soothe.

So, I would say it is more a question of whether or not you want your spell list to define your wizard (or, perhaps the other way around so that your character concept determines the spells), and how they then make the most of their spells they have.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 11:09 AM   #3
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Stop spell proved decisive against a 7-hex dragon.
How did the caster manage the 21 fatigue this would cost?
(ITL 140)
Old 09-25-2022, 12:20 PM   #4
Shostak

What, you don't have a posse of apprentices to pump you up for such projects?

But you are, of course, referring to the rules for the cost to cast spells on figures larger than one hex, helpfully listed under the heading "Continuing Spells".
Old 09-25-2022, 01:25 PM   #5
timm meyers

Illusion is the #1 most useful spell and seems to be common even for non-magi to learn. They can scout, fight, deceive.
After that it very much depends on your character style or play IMHO.
But for the basic adventure type one missile spell, at least 3 combat spells (summon x, trip/drop, blur etc.), and probably an anti-missile spell. The rest can depend on your preferred role such.
Campaign support- meal, light, ward, stalwart, scrying....
Combat support- aid, avert, controls, stone flesh, rope....
Direct damage- more summons, hammertouch, staff striking, breath fire....

Trying for the spells "wizard would find useful 95% of the time" is pretty impossible. The arena mage has little usefulness outside of combat, the thief mage has little usefulness "outside" of thieving, etc if you catch my drift.
timm meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 03:13 PM   #6
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm meyers View Post
Trying for the spells "wizard would find useful 95% of the time" is pretty impossible. The arena mage has little usefulness outside of combat, the thief mage has little usefulness "outside" of thieving, etc if you catch my drift.
Which tells me it might not be a terrible thing to see a few new spells once in awhile.
;)
Old 09-25-2022, 04:09 PM   #7
Axly Suregrip

Most useful spells to me:

- illusion: biggest bang for the buck spell.

- Summons: Myrmidon in particular. Illusions cannot open doors or chests. A big plus is the ability to fight smart foes with whatever weapon would be most useful, including bows & crossbows (which illusions cannot do).

- Fires: great for nuisance creatures. just 1 hex fire and the whole team with spiders on each, each run through the fire. of course, more fire is good too. ;-)

- Lock/knock: not only unlocks but disables traps on those locked doors/chests! Does not help with traps in the hallway or spotting traps, but still a big help.

- Staff 2 "Mana staff" is essential. Not right away but once your wiz is 38 points or so, this is needed. Does not hurt to have it earlier.

Nice to have:

- Staff 3 "Staff of striking" comes in handy.

- Light spell is useful. Lasts all day long. Just cast it once every morning and never be without light.

- Detect Magic is also useful. Often during the quest just round up weapons & items then back at camp/village it is detect time.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 06:28 AM   #8
hcobb

Shadow (1 ft) then Mage Sight (2 ft) then Staff to Snake (1 ft), followed by as many illusions of the snake (2 ft each) as needed.

If you've got Staff III then the enemy's armor is only slowing them down.

The wizard is dodging (or defending with an untalented silver dagger) inside that shadow hex when not casting. (Good luck hitting the snakes if these are also in Shadow.)

Which scrolls have you actually seen purchased in a game?

Last edited by hcobb; 09-26-2022 at 10:57 AM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 07:06 PM   #9
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Shadow (1 ft) then Mage Sight (2 ft) then Staff to Snake (1 ft), followed by as many illusions of the snake (2 ft each) as needed.

If you've got Staff III then the enemy's armor is only slowing them down.

The wizard is dodging (or defending with an untalented silver dagger) inside that shadow hex when not casting. (Good luck hitting the snakes if these are also in Shadow.)

Which scrolls have you actually seen purchased in a game?
I assume each of the "ft" units is supposed to be "ST".

If it's a one-hex Shadow, I don't think I'd let the snakes share the Shadow hex with the wizard personally. A minor point. Otherwise, this is an interesting tactic that might work well for many cases.

The only weakness I notice so far is that it's not too effective against a multihex critter, who can push you right out of the Shadow and start beating on you. Oh, and it might not work against someone with a high enough MA to avoid the snakes and put you into HTH.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 09:37 PM   #10
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanalyly072 View Post
A spell is a magical ability that a character can use to affect the world around them. There are two types of spells: offensive and defensive. nerdle
What about spells like Scrying, or Look Your Best, or Soothe, or Detect Magic, or Telepathy, etc. They don't strike me as offensive or defensive.