Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-29-2016, 08:55 AM   #11
whswhs

Default Re: Unbreakable Shield, Breakable Wielder

Normally, a shield doesn't act as armor. That is, you don't put it up as a barrier normal to the vector of the attack and see if the attack can pierce it; rather, you use it to deflect the attack. Its function is as a way to Block and not as a source of Damage Resistance. So the failure mode is that the shield didn't deflect the attack. Maybe you didn't get it in the way, maybe it wasn't at the right angle, or maybe the attack was forceful enough to knock it aside.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:17 PM   #12
Tallor

Thanks everyone! Got a lot of answers on this one. :)
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:31 PM   #13
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Normally, a shield doesn't act as armor. That is, you don't put it up as a barrier normal to the vector of the attack and see if the attack can pierce it; rather, you use it to deflect the attack. Its function is as a way to Block and not as a source of Damage Resistance. So the failure mode is that the shield didn't deflect the attack. Maybe you didn't get it in the way, maybe it wasn't at the right angle, or maybe the attack was forceful enough to knock it aside.
This isn't about failure; making your Block roll by your shield's DB or less says the shield took the full hit instead of deflecting the attack, and that's the scenario in the OP.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:35 PM   #14
Dammann

I agree that there should logically be some maximum to the damage you can deflect with a shield. Can I redirect the damage from a 15 foot giant swinging a boulder headed club? A tank shell? At some point, no matter how fast I am, the attack does more damage than I can redirect due to my limits of strength.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:18 PM   #15
Anaraxes

The angle of impact and momentum of the striking object would tell you how much force you get through the shield, and thus the knockback you'd take.

Of course, you don't actually know that angle. So you'd probably be better off just with some factor based on MoS of the Block roll.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:22 PM   #16
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
The angle of impact and momentum of the striking object would tell you how much force you get through the shield, and thus the knockback you'd take.

Of course, you don't actually know that angle. So you'd probably be better off just with some factor based on MoS of the Block roll.
Block already includes this: If MoS > Shield DB, you deflected the attack. If Mos < DB, the shield took a direct hit, and you are subject to Knockback/Knockdown, depending on the swing.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:11 PM   #17
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Block already includes this
I mean an impact high enough that "deflected" itself matters on a success. The mentioned tank shell, perhaps, though the massive club might work better -- or a supers-style brick. If you successfully "deflect" an attack, and change its path, then it deflects you right back. For human-scale melee weapons, the miss is what matters, and the side effects are assumed to be small enough to be negligible. For extreme cases, the side effects themselves matter, even when that's far less energy or momentum change than the total possessed by the incoming weapon.

The existing DB rule doesn't account for that, as it has zero momentum transfer on anything but the most marginal success. (It's also not especially accurate, since DB is related to the size of the shield, not its angle or how well it was employed, but that's not particularly worrisome in this case.)
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
breakable wielder, shield, unbreakable