Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 05-01-2019, 02:23 PM   #11
KevinJ

Default Re: Modern Heros

[QUOTE=KevinJ;2259805]I think rifles, carbines, shotguns, and shoulder/bipod fired MGs (M249 or M240) would all fall into the same Rifle Talent, but SMG and pistol have different handling and that is why I would put them in a different Talent.

I would put tripod and vehicle mounted MGs into the Heavy Weapon Talent, since they are used differently in combat. You don't advance carrying a tripod mounted MG and most vehicle mounted MGs do not have shoulder stocks./QUOTE]

Dagnabbit! Firing a Light or Medium MG from the hip might be part of heavy weapons since you aren't using the sights to acquire your targets.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:59 PM   #12
JLV

Perhaps a general "Small Arms" talent that covers the basic skill of shooting any hand-held weapon (pistol, rifle, shotgun) and then individual "Expert" talents for each to truly differentiate a sniper from some grunt just putting rounds downrange. Heavy Weapons, again, sounds like a good catchall for things like machineguns (though the SAW might actually fall under Small Arms) and, possibly AT weapons -- though since, unlike the classic Bazooka, those are mostly now "fire and forget" weapons, they may actually need their own category...

Pardon me, just thinking out loud! :-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:13 PM   #13
warhorse11h

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Of course as a USMC officer they know Sword as well.
While I'm certain the naval academy and many universities have fencing courses, the Marines use of the sword is strictly for ceremonial purposes.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:17 PM   #14
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Perhaps a general "Small Arms" talent that covers the basic skill of shooting any hand-held weapon (pistol, rifle, shotgun) and then individual "Expert" talents for each to truly differentiate a sniper from some grunt just putting rounds downrange. Heavy Weapons, again, sounds like a good catchall for things like machineguns (though the SAW might actually fall under Small Arms) and, possibly AT weapons -- though since, unlike the classic Bazooka, those are mostly now "fire and forget" weapons, they may actually need their own category...

Pardon me, just thinking out loud! :-)
Purhaps. But just because you know how to use an M-4 carbine doesn't mean you know how to operate am RPK. I know a lot of folks who have been shooting longer than me can work a bolt gun just fine, but would be lost if you gave them any modern combat carbine.

Maybe you need to specialize, and then you get a 3/IQ save to figure out how to use a weapon with a different operating/feed system.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:11 PM   #15
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
Purhaps. But just because you know how to use an M-4 carbine doesn't mean you know how to operate am RPK. I know a lot of folks who have been shooting longer than me can work a bolt gun just fine, but would be lost if you gave them any modern combat carbine.

Maybe you need to specialize, and then you get a 3/IQ save to figure out how to use a weapon with a different operating/feed system.
I'm actually thinking more in terms of how to play it in TFT, as opposed to reality. If I really want that much detail, I'd go to GURPS and not need to worry about this very much. In TFT, I think you need a simpler, more all-encompassing set of rules and talents that can be posted in a page or two, not the level of detail you seem to be indicating. But hey, YMMV and all that! ;-)
Old 05-02-2019, 11:35 AM   #16
Skarg

I think that in both GURPS and TFT, familiarity with how to use a certain type of gun would be a knowledge detail (in GURPS, "familiarity"), but not something that requires you to learn a whole new Talent (no GURPS skill) to be able to shoot it as well as another gun in the same Talent/skill class, once you do know what the buttons do, etc.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:57 AM   #17
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
One thing to remember is that TFT is supposed to be simple. If you want it more com,plex you play GURPS.
A nice thing about GURPS is you can describe people who have some training in many things without giving them years of training, by putting only 1/2 or 1 point in each skill, so they're ok with those things but not as good as if they concentrated the points in one or two skills.

For something like trying to map which modern military weapons each soldier is trained to use, TFT talents as in ITL may not be an ideal thing to adapt.

One approach might be to offer package talents for training programs, so

Basic Training, IQ 8 (2) prereq: ST 10, DX 9 (?) Training in obedience, military vocabulary, doctrine, rules and ideas, hiking, getting over obstacles, hygiene, and basic unarmed combat and using and maintaining weapons.

Then other talents for other training programs...

But specific weapons familiarity being just a list that takes time and access, but not talent points.

But yeah, the more you care about the details, the more I'd start referring you to GURPS...
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:03 PM   #18
hcobb

13 weeks is long enough to learn one IQ point cost of talents.

Which one point talent do USMC recruits learn in boot camp?
Old 05-02-2019, 03:38 PM   #19
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Which one point talent do USMC recruits learn in boot camp?
Obeying Orders.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:58 AM   #20
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
Obeying Orders.
LOL! Yep.