Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-11-2017, 04:49 PM   #11
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: [4e]UT - Armor and power consumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
Yes, it is not like human and animal waste has ever been used as fertilizer for plants... I mean if they had been then there might be a possibility for ultra tech plants that are modified to be more efficient at that.
Fertilizer doesn't magically disappear when used like that. The mass stays. Human waste goes from inside to outside your body, but doesn't evaporate into nothingness when eaten by this hypothetical dung beetle suit.
Your sarcasm is misplaced.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:13 PM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That assumes usable energy from waste humans were unable to acquire and that the mass will what, just disappear? At best, it's still a "full diaper" after a day or two even if ultra tech makes it so it won't cause illness or rashes.

But like I said, icky aspects of biology almost always get swept under the rug with science fiction even more so than most modern or low tech settings.
The suit can poop too...
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:47 PM   #13
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The suit can poop too...
If it doesn't recycle matter, then it's a whole lot of complexity, equipment, and trouble for trickle power.
But like I said before, anything no matter how absurd or borderline technobabble-y to help avoid the gross aspects of biological life works for most settings.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:01 PM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
If it doesn't recycle matter, then it's a whole lot of complexity, equipment, and trouble for trickle power.
Well that's hard biotech in general, unless you go full zerg.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:59 PM   #15
Varyon

Quote:
Fertilizer doesn't magically disappear when used like that. The mass stays. Human waste goes from inside to outside your body, but doesn't evaporate into nothingness when eaten by this hypothetical dung beetle suit.
First off, 75% of feces is water, and most of the rest has a significant carbon content, so a great deal of it could, indeed, evaporate - in the form of water vapor and carbon dioxide (the latter from "burning" it for energy, if needed). Being organic in nature, the biosuit might also be able to use solar energy to reconstitute the solids to make more of itself, for repairs and the like. 100% of it being evaporated or recycled is unlikely, certainly, but the remaining waste might be little enough that it can either be stored as negligible weight and disposed of later, or simply be excreted slowly.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor, ultra-tech