Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
Gadget

Default Path/Book Magic

I really like Path/Book Magic can anyone recommend any novels to read that have anything like Path/Book Magic in them
Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
nanoboy

Default Re: Path/Book Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
I really like Path/Book Magic can anyone recommend any novels to read that have anything like Path/Book Magic in them
The Thaumaturgy of the Dresden Files books is an awful lot like the Path magic system. (Evocation in the series is more like the Realms system.) The books are really great, though they don't really pick up in quality until book 4. Still, one should read them in order. They are urban fantasy with a noir, pulp feel.
nanoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Jinx High by Mercedes Lackey has a similar feel to it -- ritual magic and summoned spirits, interspersed with occasional psi. She has two other books in the same series, but that's the one I can recommend the most highly.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
mhd

I gave up after the second DF book due to my chronic Mary Sue intolerance, but yes, they do spend quite some time describing elaborate magical rituals. I guess it's pretty common in contemporary urban fantasy.

If I remember correctly, at least one of the magic systems in the old Lyndon Hardy novels (Master of the Five Magics etc.) came close to it. But it's been a while.
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
H. P. Lovecraft clearly thinks in terms of Book Magic.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhd View Post
I gave up after the second DF book due to my chronic Mary Sue intolerance, but yes, they do spend quite some time describing elaborate magical rituals. I guess it's pretty common in contemporary urban fantasy.

If I remember correctly, at least one of the magic systems in the old Lyndon Hardy novels (Master of the Five Magics etc.) came close to it. But it's been a while.
Harry Dresden is pretty mild for a Mary Sue; though I'll grant that he does suffer a little bit from the syndrome, it isn't much more than any other protagonist of an action-oriented book series.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
nanoboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhd View Post

Bear in mind that the second book (Fool Moon) is easily the weakest of the series. It is definitely uphill after that.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #8
Fred Brackin

The Lord Darcy series by Randall Garrett would be one of the classic examples. Forensic Sorceror Master Sean O'Loughlin is forever getting all kinds of parphenalia out of hsi symbol decorated carpetbag.

You see a fair bit of this sort of magic in the Buffy series too. All sorts of chanting and candle-burning.

Katherine Kurts Deryni series too. It's practicaly a primer on drawing the circle and calling the Archangels and all sorts of other things they do in Real world magic.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
nanoboy

I've not seen it myself, but as I understand it, the television show "Supernatural" has a Book magic like system, too.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #10
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoboy View Post
I've not seen it myself, but as I understand it, the television show "Supernatural" has a Book magic like system, too.
Most of the magic on Buffy worked that way, too. It's not an accident that Monster Hunters has a ritual magic system.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
path/book magic