Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-18-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
Kazander

Default [DF] Great Void

The Great Void Power-Up from Pyramid 3/61 brings to mind a couple of questions.

First of all if a character has a high enough Basic Move to have a Step of 2, does he normally get a Retreat of 2? I've always played it that way, but it's never been crystal clear if that was RAW or not to me. So then with this Power-Up he'd get a Retreat of 3?

How would you price it so that instead of getting a Retreat of 2 from a single opponent, he can Retreat by 1 twice in a turn from 2 different opponents (or more, if BM is high enough and/or he has the GV PU)?

Thanks.
Kazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:17 AM   #2
Wavefunction

Default Re: [DF] Great Void

If a character has a high enough Basic Move to have a Step of 2 he definitely does get a retreat of 2, see p. B377. It says you move at least one yard as part of a retreat, but no more than 1/10 your move, exactly as for a step. Since Great Void says you may step an extra yard away from your foe, presumable this would mean you could step 3 yards away if your Basic Move is 11 or higher.

I'm not sure about retreating more than once. I'd probably price it the same as the Great Void technique, so a base of 9 + the Unique Technique perk, then if you have a retreat of 3 yards or more, add 6 to the cost for each extra retreat. This is since Great Void is based on a hard technique that defaults to Defense-2, tripled for a wildcard technique, so if we assume an additional step on top defaults to Defense-4 which since the technique cost is tripled is another 6 points. That's off the top of my head though.
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #3
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazander View Post
The Great Void Power-Up from Pyramid 3/61 brings to mind a couple of questions.

First of all if a character has a high enough Basic Move to have a Step of 2, does he normally get a Retreat of 2? I've always played it that way, but it's never been crystal clear if that was RAW or not to me. So then with this Power-Up he'd get a Retreat of 3?
Yeah.

Quote:
How would you price it so that instead of getting a Retreat of 2 from a single opponent, he can Retreat by 1 twice in a turn from 2 different opponents (or more, if BM is high enough and/or he has the GV PU)?
See ATR, or invent a new Advantage or harshly-limited Technique.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:09 PM   #4
Kazander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefunction View Post
If a character has a high enough Basic Move to have a Step of 2 he definitely does get a retreat of 2, see p. B377. It says you move at least one yard as part of a retreat, but no more than 1/10 your move, exactly as for a step. Since Great Void says you may step an extra yard away from your foe, presumable this would mean you could step 3 yards away if your Basic Move is 11 or higher.

I'm not sure about retreating more than once. I'd probably price it the same as the Great Void technique, so a base of 9 + the Unique Technique perk, then if you have a retreat of 3 yards or more, add 6 to the cost for each extra retreat. This is since Great Void is based on a hard technique that defaults to Defense-2, tripled for a wildcard technique, so if we assume an additional step on top defaults to Defense-4 which since the technique cost is tripled is another 6 points. That's off the top of my head though.
Thanks. Weird how despite how many time I've read that section, I've never noticed the 1/10 Move reference in the Retreat section. Critical failure on Perception??

I like your suggestion for the cost of the additional Retreat; it's inline with what I was thinking.
Kazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:14 AM   #5
Dinadon

Quote:
Essentially this is a limited form of Chambara Defenses from Martial Arts. For Retreating more than once the penalty is -1 for each previous Retreat. However, since someone who can use Chambara Defenses wouldn't use Great Void as is, it's probably fairest to increase the penalty with another -1 for the extra benefit of retreating one more time. This then means Extra Retreat would cost the same as Great Void.

But that seems to be the conclusion already.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote