Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-12-2011, 08:05 AM   #11
aesir23

Default Re: Chalice World: Magic

A few things at first glance:
Why are your Water Ice Lantern's black and your mind lanterns Blue rather than vice-versa? Blue is much more intuitive for Water.

The new rituals look good for the most part.

A few notes:
Beast Rider and Beast Possession are great, and I'm stealing them.

Attrack Animal is unnecessary. Summon Beast can already be used to bring a group of animals to an area using the Multiple Target Modifiers.

While I love Lucky Block and Lucky Parry, I think Major Block and Major parry need work. They seem too powerful as is: Instead, I'd model the spells more closely on Weapon Blessing and grant a bonus based on margin of success that can only be used to counteract defensive penalties from Feint, Deceptive Attack, Counterattack, etc....

Can Flame Breath be used as many times as you want during the duration, or just once? It's not clear.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:17 AM   #12
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
A few things at first glance:
Why are your Water Ice Lantern's black and your mind lanterns Blue rather than vice-versa? Blue is much more intuitive for Water.
Because Black represents water in the Chinese 5 element system which the world is strongly based on.

Quote:
The new rituals look good for the most part.

A few notes:
Beast Rider and Beast Possession are great, and I'm stealing them.
Thank you I hoped someone would find some of these useful, I doubted anyone would find them ALL useful.

Quote:
Attrack Animal is unnecessary. Summon Beast can already be used to bring a group of animals to an area using the Multiple Target Modifiers.
They are used for different purposes though.
Summon Beast summons one or more animals to the caster and makes them non hostile. Similar to the spell in magic.

Attract Animal is more a lure that brings them to an area (rather then the caster) and does not affect their behavior.
The difference is subtle but important. Attract can lure animals to an area for you to hurt or help them but its main intent is to create kind of a curse and inflict animals (say vermin or pests) on an enemy location.

Quote:
While I love Lucky Block and Lucky Parry, I think Major Block and Major parry need work. They seem too powerful as is: Instead, I'd model the spells more closely on Weapon Blessing and grant a bonus based on margin of success that can only be used to counteract defensive penalties from Feint, Deceptive Attack, Counterattack, etc....
First exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for with this thread so thank you :)
I was worried they might be too powerful (same with a few others here) and I was looking for a Path version of the enchantments.
I definitely need to add the weight like in Weapon Blessing but not sure I want to limit the bonus only to counter special attacks.
IN Energy Shaping I would have just piled on the energy cost but not sure that really works as well for Effect Shaping.
Still using Collaboration you can counter a larger penalty and that gets us back to circle of enchanters.
What do you think about that route?

Quote:
Can Flame Breath be used as many times as you want during the duration, or just once? It's not clear.
The intent was for the duration but that's probably too powerful.
I am thinking since you bring it up having two Rituals, the first as is but does it once and a more difficult one that lasts longer.
Or instead.... How about as is for once and -5 skill per minute for an extended version?
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #13
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Attract can lure animals to an area for you to hurt or help them but its main intent is to create kind of a curse and inflict animals (say vermin or pests) on an enemy location.
Then I think you should name it something that evokes this purpose, like Draw Swarm. And perhaps limit it in some other way that reduces the overlap with Summon Beast.

Quote:
I definitely need to add the weight like in Weapon Blessing but not sure I want to limit the bonus only to counter special attacks.
IN Energy Shaping I would have just piled on the energy cost but not sure that really works as well for Effect Shaping.
Still using Collaboration you can counter a larger penalty and that gets us back to circle of enchanters.
What do you think about that route?
Large penalties can be overcome in a number of way in Effect Shaping magic using the Ritual Modifiers in Appendix A.

Personally, I think countering special attacks is enough. Feint and Deceptive Attack are extremely important to overcoming defenses in GURPS, if you take them away a decent fighter with a shield is very difficult to hit.

If you want to make it a flat bonus, I'd definitely make it a fraction of the margin of error (1/2 or 1/3) and I'd cap it somehow: Even +2 or 3 to active defenses is VERY powerful.

Quote:
Or instead.... How about as is for once and -5 skill per minute for an extended version?
That could work, but I'd prefer a penalty to skill for each extra use.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #14
Refplace

Quote:
T
If you want to make it a flat bonus, I'd definitely make it a fraction of the margin of error (1/2 or 1/3) and I'd cap it somehow: Even +2 or 3 to active defenses is VERY powerful.

That could work, but I'd prefer a penalty to skill for each extra use.
Did I forget to cap it?
Was really really late and sleepy when I did that but I meant it to be 1/2 the bonus and capped. I will look at it in a few and repost it
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, path/book magic, thaumatology styles