Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 12-23-2015, 05:58 PM   #1
TheRaven81

Default Question about searching

How many times are you able to search a single room either on the same turn or on consecutive turns? Me and a couple friends were playing MQ and the "Treasure Vault" room tile came into the dungeon. After the monster was beat, my friend took it upon himself to "make camp" there. What I mean is, he searched the room according to the treasure vault room's text and stayed there without moving out. On his next turn he used his Move points to search the Treasure Vault again, and again....and again....every time it was his turn. He'd be able to search it for treasure because of how the conditions of searching that room work, and he slowly equipped himself to be incredibly powerful before finally having a result that makes it Looted Out. As he stayed there and searched he was able to level himself up to 9 by selling treasure he found from searching.

The Tile states that if you don't find a monster on your first search, then you can spend another Move to search again. If you find a single treasure the room is not Ransacked, but if you find 2 or more the room is still Looted Out. My ruling was that he couldn't do it because then it wouldn't be his "first search" anymore, because he'd searched the room before already.

What do you say?

Last edited by TheRaven81; 12-23-2015 at 06:01 PM.
TheRaven81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:09 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Question about searching

Well, the rules very clearly state on page 7, "You may only search each room once per turn!"

The wording of the tile, as you present, it says that if you don't find a Monster when searching the first time (meaning that turn), you can search again, which means that you could effectively search twice per turn. You can not use all your move every turn to search the any room, even Treasure Vault.

Later, when I have my other laptop up and running, I'll check my MQ database.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quest, searching, treasure vault