Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-29-2023, 02:38 AM   #11
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Why does +1 Defense Bonus cost less than +1 Block?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45 View Post
GM: it's a random hit location, so [rolls] the scimitar hits your right hand. [starts to roll damage]

Bob: oh, my hand?! My right hand has an extra Deflect +4 on it, so the parry is successful after all.

GM: lucky for you. Here comes the next peshkali scimitar... [rolls]
IME, many players would expect the GM to catch this.

At any rate, I would qualify this as an annoying exception to the normal game mechanics.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 08:31 AM   #12
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45 View Post
You misunderstand.

GM: the peshkali tries to slice off part of your anatomy. [rolls] Thunk! 11 hits.

Bob: wait, maybe I can parry it! [rolls] 15. I fail.

GM: it's a random hit location, so [rolls] the scimitar hits your right hand. [starts to roll damage]

Bob: oh, my hand?! My right hand has an extra Deflect +4 on it, so the parry is successful after all.

This line of events is flawed.

Once the roll to hit succeeds, you then roll random hit location, not after the player rolls to defend. So:

GM: the peshkali tries to slice off part of your anatomy. [rolls] Thunk! 11 hits.

GM: it's a random hit location, so [rolls] the scimitar hits your right hand.

Bob: oh, my hand?! My right hand has an extra Deflect +4 on it, so [rolls] the parry is successful.

EDIT:: apparently I am wrong! Basic page 400 says to roll location after the foe fails to defend.

Last edited by zoncxs; 03-29-2023 at 08:34 AM.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 11:54 AM   #13
Mr_Sandman

I understand using the per-piece pricing rule for armor with fortify and lighten enchantments. I think it doesn't fit as well for deflect. Despite RAW, I'd probably rule against it working that way, just to keep things simpler and more rational (to me anyway). I find it hard to envision how deflect is meant to work on a piecemeal basis, improving a character's dodge, parry and block, but just for attacks that would hit one particular body part? My house rule would be always pay full price for deflect, whether it is on one piece or the whole suit, and it works for the whole body.
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 12:53 PM   #14
ehrbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Sandman View Post
I understand using the per-piece pricing rule for armor with fortify and lighten enchantments. I think it doesn't fit as well for deflect. Despite RAW, I'd probably rule against it working that way, just to keep things simpler and more rational (to me anyway).
Yeah, that was the motive behind why my Deflect rewrite (mentioned above, linked in my signature) also says "This cost is not reduced for individual pieces of armor."

GURPS Technomancer resources. Including The Renegade Mage's Unofficial GURPS Magic Spell Errata, last updated July 7th, 2023.
ehrbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 01:07 PM   #15
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
This line of events is flawed.

Once the roll to hit succeeds, you then roll random hit location, not after the player rolls to defend. So:

EDIT:: apparently I am wrong! Basic page 400 says to roll location after the foe fails to defend.
The larger point here is that the order you roll in doesn't matter as long as you wind up with the same results as the "official" order. It's perfectly valid to do this:

GM: The peshkali attacks you! [roll, roll, roll, roll, roll, roll] What do you do?

Bob: I am going to parry the first two and then try to dodge the others. No retreat.

GM: There are three hits and then a crit.

Bob: [roll, roll, roll] Ouch, four hits total. I'm probably dead meat.

You won't do this every time--if the GM intends the peshkali to chop off Bob's leg in order to make subsequent hits easier, he won't do them in parallel like this. But if your goal is just to make your life easier as a GM, you can.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 01:10 PM   #16
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
Once the roll to hit succeeds, you then roll random hit location, not after the player rolls to defend.
Doing it this way is the first degree of annoyingness I sited. Rolling things that don't actually matter is not good.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
defense bonus, dungeon fantasy rpg, magic items