Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-22-2014, 09:04 AM   #1
Randyman

Default DC Comics' Black Canary - Theorycrafting

Odd idea here...

Instead of modeling her Canary Cry (sonic attack) as a Power, what about modeling it based on the Kiai skill? Recent incarnations of the character would warrant Trained by a Master; earlier incarnations could have the Unusual Training perk, though a cinematic/four-color setting should allow cinematic use of the skill.

What else would be useful for building her ability using Kiai?

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:09 AM   #2
vitruvian

Default Re: DC Comics' Black Canary - Theorycrafting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman View Post
Odd idea here...

Instead of modeling her Canary Cry (sonic attack) as a Power, what about modeling it based on the Kiai skill? Recent incarnations of the character would warrant Trained by a Master; earlier incarnations could have the Unusual Training perk, though a cinematic/four-color setting should allow cinematic use of the skill.

What else would be useful for building her ability using Kiai?
I don't know that there's anything that will allow Kiai to do direct damage to living things, let alone to inanimate objects, as opposed to being a stunning effect against living opponents. So, if this is how her Canary Cry works in your writeup, it simply won't do a lot of what it does in the comics.

Last edited by vitruvian; 04-22-2014 at 09:31 AM.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
I don't know that there's anything that will allow Kiai to do direct damage to living things, let alone to inanimate objects, as opposed to being a stunning effect against living opponents. So, if this is how here Canary Cry works in your writeup, it simply won't do a lot of what it does in the comics.
I agree. Though you could also add Project Blow with a special effect she yells rather then punches.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I agree. Though you could also add Project Blow with a special effect she yells rather then punches.
Misses the crucial AoE ability of a sonic attack.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
You could try addin Whilrlwind attack then.
I would build her with Powers myself but offering the Op some ideas to get what he wants.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #6
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Could maybe do something with Imbuements (again, combined with Project Blow), but it starts to get really convoluted, require multiple rolls, etc., when it seems like something much more easily handled with an Innate Attack.

Which really should be fine, even if you're defining the ability as the result of martial arts training (like the landlady in Kung Fu Hustle, perhaps)... I'd probably use abilities and powers based on Innate Attack and other advantages for many of the special attacks in Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Naruto, etc., as well.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #7
Randyman

I suspected that a sufficient build using Kiai as a starting point would be overly complex. I did find Mega-Kiai in Martial Arts which is explicitly built as an Innate Attack rather than using the Kiai skill as a base, which supports all that has been contributed here.

Thanks for the input!

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Old 04-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

The Longbowmen version wouldn't probably even need Kiai.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:08 PM   #9
aesir23

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but I did post a version of Black Canary on these fora a while ago.

You can check it out here if your interested.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:26 PM   #10
Randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
This isn't a direct answer to your question, but I did post a version of Black Canary on these fora a while ago.

You can check it out here if your interested.
Nice. Interesting that you used Ultimate Combat. But I thought that a Style! wildcard skill included the Style Familiarity.

I'm actually thinking that the Natural Attack ability from Pyramid 3-65: Alternate GURPS III would be a decent alternative for the Canary Cry, using Dragon Breath from that article as the model. For my jones for Kiai, use it as the attack skill. The benefit for doing so would be that the effect of Kiai stacks on top of the Natural Attack effect without needing an enhancement; the downside is that Kiai is a more expensive skill to acquire and develop.

Tags
martial arts, supers