Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
Onkl

Default [DF] Fast-Draw (Axe/Mace)

Hi guys

Neither DF nor Martial Arts do offer a Fast-Draw Specialty covering Axes and Maces, Kromm confirmed this. I just wonder why...

Is it because swords are so much more expensive, so if you could Fast-Draw an Axe, nobody would buy a sword? This gets accentuated by Weapons with the Dwarfen modifier from DF.
Is it because these weapons usually are unbalanced (Parry with U)? This poses the question why Martial Arts allows some chains to be fast drawn?

I do know that I could just allow it in my DF game, but I am reluctant as I fear unbalancing things.

Thanks!

Onkl

Last edited by Onkl; 02-10-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: [DF] Fast-Draw (Axe/Mace)

It's more a matter of how they're physically carried. Try carrying an axe or mace the way you carry a sword, and you won't have functional legs for very long.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
Dwarf99

my guess is because most of the rigs that are designed to hold axes button up over the bottom of the blade, thus preventing fast draws.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

You missed this quote from Kromm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Could one feasibly fast draw a hatchet? That would seem an important consideration for a backup weapon, as if your main weapon goes flying away want to get another ready quickly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Yes. I've seen demos where men pulled four light throwing axes from an ordinary belt and chucked them in about four seconds. You'd need eight seconds if you had to Ready and then Attack, so I'd say that's Fast-Draw. I wouldn't allow it for anything but hatchets and smallish hurlbats – certainly not for full-sized throwing axes, maces, etc. – but I'd be fine with it for hatchets.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
Edges

A rig that carries an axe handle-up, either has to have a strap to secure the head (preventing Fast-Draw), leaves the axe open to fall out easily, or is such that the head will easily get caught on the way out. Rigs that are handle-down, prevent the user from drawing the weapon while holding the combat grip.

It is conceivable that one could have a handle-up rig that makes it unlikely for the axe to fall out yet allows the weapon to be drawn quickly. But it will be more difficult than drawing a straight blade as the draw would include a direction change. It is also conceivable that a handle-down rig could be used. With practice, one can push up hard on the bottom of the axe head and when the handle clears the rig, catch it by the grip. But this is at least as tricky as the handle-up possibility and something one would probably consider cinematic if performed in an actual fight.

When pressed, I have allowed Fast-Draw (Axe/Mace) is suitably cinematic games. In somewhat more realistic games, I've allowed it but called it a Hard skill when pressed by a player. For even more realistic games, I would either not allow it, or have them specify whether they want their rig to be one that stands a good chance of dropping the weapon and is Hard to use or one that is Very Hard to use.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
It is also conceivable that a handle-down rig could be used. With practice, one can push up hard on the bottom of the axe head and when the handle clears the rig, catch it by the grip. But this is at least as tricky as the handle-up possibility and something one would probably consider cinematic if performed in an actual fight.
I had a character with a cross body handle down rig consisting of two brackets holding the head in place. I would fast draw with a the right hand in "reverse grip" with a sharp upword push, holding on the entire time and a downward counterclockwise sweeping motion that came up. Having a lanyard ring assisted the switch from reverse grip to regular so I didn't twist my wrist too much in the upswing.

Never got to see combat because the GM was one of those one liner guys and I got tired of having more attention to detail than he did WHILE I WAS ON PAIN MEDS.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #7
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Large bearded axes may have been carried over the shoulder with the beard hooking the shoulder or neck.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
Onkl

Thank you very much for your input... On DF6:15 the Six-Sword Belt specifically mentions axes, so in my game this will be the way to go... if you really want to fast-draw your axe, better look for a quest to get a Six-Sword Belt.

Cheers

Onkl
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fast-draw, martial arts