Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-27-2015, 06:23 PM   #1
Minuteman37

Default How much damage would a bat do if you needed 20 strength to lift it?

As the title says, if I had 20 strength and made a bat so heavy 20 ST is needed to wield it then how much damage could be done with it?
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:19 PM   #2
Ternas

Default Re: How much damage would a bat do if you needed 20 strength to lift it?

So I was curious about this myself, so I went with the scaling rules and ST stuff from LTC2 for weapons and my small amount of knowledge. Assuming you mean a Baseball Bat the stats would be as follows using the information from Martial Arts and basing it off the Knobbed Club as said.

Code:
Weapon	       Damage  	 Reach  Parry	Cost	   Weight	ST
Baseball Bat	Sw+3	   2	 0	$125	   12.5	        20
Now technically this would be a SM+2 bat in gaming terms. This is only because I haven't updated my spreadsheet to work real well with only scaling the ST requirements based on weights. I'm sure that you could say that you are just adding the weight and bring the reach back down to Reach 1 and have it work just as well as a SM 0 bat with a core of solid metal.

Either way, with a ST 20 fellow, you'll be doing at least 3d+5 Cr. Not bad for a bit of wood.
Ternas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:37 AM   #3
jaz0nj4ckal

Default Re: How much damage would a bat do if you needed 20 strength to lift it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ternas View Post
So I was curious about this myself, so I went with the scaling rules and ST stuff from LTC2 for weapons and my small amount of knowledge.
This is pretty cool; however, what is LTC2?
jaz0nj4ckal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:41 AM   #4
Anders

Low-Tech Companion 2.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:42 AM   #5
Peaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaz0nj4ckal View Post
I believe it might mean Low-Tech Companion 2, a supplement.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:59 AM   #6
Not

Pretty sure this bat would lie outside the regulations, and you'd have a penalty to your Sports (baseball) skill to use it against a ball.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:24 AM   #7
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
Pretty sure this bat would lie outside the regulations, and you'd have a penalty to your Sports (baseball) skill to use it against a ball.
If they let you bring that monster onto the field, your roll for the skill wouldn't be off (presuming you actually have the ST 20 needed to use it).

And the thread title specifies a bat that needs ST 20 to lift. Now I want to see the ST needed to wield a monster like that and the damage it would do!

That's like 800 lbs, right?
Old 08-28-2015, 08:40 AM   #8
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
And the thread title specifies a bat that needs ST 20 to lift. Now I want to see the ST needed to wield a monster like that and the damage it would do!
One-handed lift, 2xBL is 160 lbs. Two-handed lift, 8xBL is 640 lbs.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:47 AM   #9
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
That would be a pretty impressive flying rodent.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:49 PM   #10
Ternas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaz0nj4ckal View Post
As the others have said, Low Tech Companion 2. Sorry still sorta a greenhorn on the forums and haven't memorized all the abbreviations so I use the ones that I've used in the games I've been in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post

That's like 800 lbs, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
So, I was merely going with the original question in the opening post about stats for a bat that would take ST 20 to wield. But for something that requires at least ST 20 to budge, I'm gonna crank that monster up to SM+6 on my spreadsheet and go say holy heck in a handbasket.

Code:
Weapon	      Damage	Reach	Parry	Cost	Weight   ST
Baseball Bat   SW+10	 5	  0   $2,000	 200lbs	 80
Right, fairly certain that with this you might be bunting the quarterbacks "accidentally"(Please note, I have the quirk Incompetent (Sports)[-1]) for 3d+11 Cr damage. But considering that even at this point, you'd have a BL of 80lbs with ST20, you'll be into medium encumbrance just dragging this around like a caveman and I don't even want to start on how many levels of Huge Hands you'd need to even start hefting it, let alone the penalties for not enough ST to swing.
Ternas is offline   Reply With Quote