Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-12-2014, 06:56 AM   #1
jacobmuller

Default [LT & MA] is Harsh Realism harsh or just realism?

Low Tech and Martial Arts offer "Harsh Realism" optional rules.
Low Tech's are for Ranged Weapons (malfunctions; slings Cr; 1/2 Acc) and Armor Gaps.
Martial Arts' are for unarmed fighters: bruised knuckles; defense limits; striking bone; strong/weak hand; Tech Grappling trained ST, judo throwing.

The only option I baulk at is 1/2 Acc for muscle powered missile weapons and that only due to it being described as "really harsh".

So, are these options only harsh in comparison to playability/fun or are they more harsh than real?
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:12 AM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [LT & MA] is Harsh Realism harsh or just realism?

Slings are probably too harsh, as (a) this results in strong slingers being able to cause significant knockback with itty-bitty bullets and (b) arguably, removal of sling bullets that pierced the flesh was a concern, if tools are to be believed.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:01 AM   #3
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
The only option I baulk at is 1/2 Acc for muscle powered missile weapons and that only due to it being described as "really harsh".
That one is really harsh, but also probably really real. When you compare muscle-powered weapon accuracy to firearm accuracy...no, bows should not be remotely as accurate as rifles.

Imposing that is hard on some popular character concepts that aren't generally recognized as being cinematic, though. (But don't worry, it could be much, much worse! You could also use the bullet travel rule from Tactical Shooting with bows.)
Old 04-12-2014, 09:18 AM   #4
Dalillama

Quote:

So, are these options only harsh in comparison to playability/fun
For the most part, this.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
So, are these options only harsh in comparison to playability/fun or are they more harsh than real?
Sometimes a bit of both. They're generally, at least in the Martial Arts ones, based on the worst-case aspects of training and fighting. What if you don't hit the right part of the face, what if you don't learn to hit with both hands equally well - that kind of stuff. The "realism" is "these are probably real" and the "harsh" bit is "these make it harder to do anything like what you see in fiction" and "we erred on the side of making it suck more, not less." The more heroic/cinematic stuff errs on the side of suck less, not suck more. Seems fair.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
Anthony

Realistically, the problem for low tech ranged weapons is time of flight, not accuracy -- I'm not a fan of the time of flight rules in Tactical Shooting p32 , but applied to low-tech ranged weapons, the appropriate time of flight is generally range/50-70.

My preferred rule is something like: against erratically moving targets, skill (after bonuses for aiming and sights) is capped at 9 + (bullet speed modifier, treated as a positive number). This limit is 22-23 for most pistols (900-1500 fps), 24-25 for most rifles (2000-3000 fps), 26 for specialized rounds (4500 fps). The limit for thrown weapons is about 16 (60 mph), 17 for exceptional throwers (throwing skill at DX+2 or better), 17-18 for low-tech projectile weapons.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:14 PM   #7
lwcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
My preferred rule is something like: against erratically moving targets, skill (after bonuses for aiming and sights) is capped at 9 + (bullet speed modifier, treated as a positive number). This limit is 22-23 for most pistols (900-1500 fps), 24-25 for most rifles (2000-3000 fps), 26 for specialized rounds (4500 fps). The limit for thrown weapons is about 16 (60 mph), 17 for exceptional throwers (throwing skill at DX+2 or better), 17-18 for low-tech projectile weapons.
I just figured +1 to dodge for every 1/4 second of flight time. So for an arrow at 50 m/s, you get +1 to dodge between 13 and 25 hexes, +2 between 26 and 38 hexes, +3 between 39 and 50 hexes, and so on. This way you don't need to decide if a target is erratically moving.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:25 PM   #8
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
This way you don't need to decide if a target is erratically moving.
Plenty of targets can be erratically moving without being able to use an active defense -- all-out attack, or just evasive maneuvers.

Tags
low tech, martial arts