Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-12-2011, 04:25 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Will buy: Ultra-Tech 2 / Revised / Reworked Weapon Tables (Post-Pyramid etc.)

Greetings, all!

I know, I know, there are cool articles about making your own. But at this point, I realized that instead of doing the gottacatch'emall with Pyramids and wherever else they can be found, I'd rather buy a PDF which already has an extensive number of reworked UT weapons.
I'm talking both about redesigning them using the Pyramid and other rules, and simply fixing errata. Also, it would be nice to have notes or category markers, so that GMs can easily only allow those weapons that fit their intended campaign, such as:
  • Gritty SEALs in Viet Nam 2055.
  • Generic Powered-Armour Space Marines With SM+1 Heavy Weapons.
  • Generic Space-era Infantry (bughunts, Alien, Starship Troopers etc.).
  • Space Operah swashbucklers (where UT weapons have scary armour penetration but relatively poor final injury ratings, with even better mêlée armour penetration).
  • High-Tech Superscience (mere TL6-8, but with the ^, resulting in early beam weapons etc. coexisting with modern stuff).

Opinions? Secondings?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 04-10-2012 at 03:36 AM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:16 AM   #2
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Default Re: Will buy: UT2: Revised / Reworked Weapon Tables (Post-Pyramid etc.)

This would go along with my question about 'is it time for a compendium?' so yeah I would be on board even if it is a PDF.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
Refplace

I do not know about the viability of a full compendum but themed ones sound nice.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I do not know about the viability of a full compendum but themed ones sound nice.
That's what Power Ups 2 and 3 are, even if they are thinly disguised.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
That's what Power Ups 2 and 3 are, even if they are thinly disguised.
Right, though not just from Pyramid. And I think they sell well but a generic Compendium like the 3E ones I think would be more work and a harder sell then either a Power Ups type product or just a port from Pyramid like an anthology.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
Langy

I would enjoy something like this, yes.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #7
apoc527

Ummm...newb here. Can someone tell me what's wrong with UT? I've heard of issues with both weapon damage (which I can figure out simply by comparing to HT) and armor. Is there a concise statement of the issue somewhere?

I must admit...I got back into GURPS precisely to avoid having these kinds of issues, so it's a little disheartening to see so much angst over UT's stats!
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #8
doulos05

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc527 View Post
Ummm...newb here. Can someone tell me what's wrong with UT? I've heard of issues with both weapon damage (which I can figure out simply by comparing to HT) and armor. Is there a concise statement of the issue somewhere?

I must admit...I got back into GURPS precisely to avoid having these kinds of issues, so it's a little disheartening to see so much angst over UT's stats!
The issue, in a nutshell, is that UT weapons and armor cannot co-exist with HT weapons and armor. The values are too low for the UT weapons and armor to be viable against them.

Additionally, weapons compare strangely against each other, and that's made worse by the invisible setting which informed the design of UT weapons. You see, LT and HT both have a 'default setting' which informed the design of the weapons and equipment you see there: reality. But we don't have a real example of a laser pistol to compare the stats to. So, while UT is meant to be a generic catalog of equipment suitable for any UT campaign, it had to be designed with a setting in mind. The assumptions of that setting are ill-defined (because UT is not a setting book) and contrary to what a lot of people expect in their games. Which isn't really a fair critique of the book, but that's what you get.

EDIT: Oh, and yes I'd totally buy this. And I don't even anticipate running a UT game for at least several years.
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:06 AM   #9
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc527 View Post

UT interacts poorly with HT because UT was written first and based on estimates while HT was built from real information. UT works pretty well internally as long as you forbid things in the Designer's Notes (ie the stuff they didn't put in) because it has the potential to be very game breaking.

ETK is the infamous one from the notes. Double damage and double range with the option to fire hotshots for even more damage and range along with fifty percent extra shots and +1 to Acc. All that for just double cost. The only things that don't become instantly obsolete are gravguns. It was left out for reasons that should be obvious but people always seem to bring it up when discussing UT.

There's an even more world ending upgrade for gravguns floating around somewhere which does something utterly insane like 10x range and double accuracy.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:03 AM   #10
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

UT was quite good for its time, and is sure better than stuff offered by some other systems. But with the coming of HT and LT, standards have been raised.

Also, UT was written when the currently-available design tools were either still in testing, or not available at all. I'm willing to pay SJG to see those tools used by knowledgeable people to improve UT (and who knows, maybe the tools themselves too).

While this isn't an OFFICIAL poll, I suspect that if the idea generates enough interest, it might be seriously considered by one of the freelancers and/or added to the Wish List.

Tags
equipment, superscience, technology, ultra-tech, weapons