Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-08-2019, 06:38 PM   #11
whswhs

Default Re: Make me a multibillionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Anibal Varesco is secretly the world's oldest man. How old that is depends on the setting but he started out genetically blessed, as well as well as lucky and then used whatever life extending inventions and discoveries in the setting to the limit, including ones not available or even known to the public at large. (He was created for several science fiction settings.)

Now, he's on the verge of death but desperately holding on with obsessive tenacity even as Varesco Biotech's R&D department pursues every pie-in-the-sky avenue that might offer him a few years. Meanwhile he hires investigators to scour the galaxy looking for every reputed fountain of youth or claim of life after death. In the meantime he's financing an AI simulation of his personality and preparing to freeze himself, knowing even as he makes his preparations that the last minute cryogenic procedure is one he'll probably never wake up from.

And still his vengeful disinherited clone plots to make use of the old man's iobsession to con him out of a fortune and be the last thing the old man sees before he dies...
I'm not sure how to use that in an RPG, but I might buy the novel. . . .

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:50 PM   #12
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I'm not sure how to use that in an RPG, but I might buy the novel. . . .
He's intended to be a patron for PCs who be the "investigators" in the write-up.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:56 PM   #13
Donny Brook

Old Aengus
(Fictional, Realistic)

Fortune: $4B
Source of Funds: Investment
Residence: Holyrood Palace Garden
Species: Tortoise

Old Aengus was a gift to William of Orange from the East India Company in 1694. In 1695 he was brought to Holyrood Palace and William placed GURPS $12000 in a fund at the newly opened Bank of Scotland for his care and maintenance at a guaranteed interest rate of 4%. However, Aengus has been provided free food from the Holyrood kitchens and no costs have ever been charged against his funds which, compounding semi-annually, have now grown to a value of c. GURPS$4B.

Last edited by Donny Brook; 01-08-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:18 PM   #14
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
And still his vengeful disinherited clone plots to make use of the old man's iobsession to con him out of a fortune and be the last thing the old man sees before he dies...
Loving it, though I dont know if he is worth 20 billion dollars or 200. What is Varesco Biotech like?
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:21 PM   #15
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Old Aengus was a gift to William of Orange from the East India Company in 1694.
Do tortoises live three hundred years? Would Old Aengus undergo uplift modifications if they were available?

Last edited by Alonsua; 01-08-2019 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:37 PM   #16
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
Do tortoises live three hundred years? Would Old Aengus undergo uplift modifications if they were available?
If he's a normal tortoise, he's IQ 2 and wouldn't understand the concept of what was being offered. And it would take an insane amount of uplift to get a tortoise brain to the threshold of sapience.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:41 PM   #17
whswhs

Here's my example of such a character, from my supers campaign Sovereignty:

Navigator [Nikhil Singh]

ST 11 [10]; DX 11 [20]; IQ 19 [180]; HT 13 [30]
Dmg 1d-1/1d+1; BL 24 lbs.; HP 11 [0]; Will 19 [0]; Per 19 [0]; FP 13 [0]; Basic Speed 6.00 [0]; Basic Move 5 [-5]
5’5”; 125 lbs.

Social Background
TL: 9
CF: South Asian —; Western [1]
Languages: Panjabi (Native) —; Bengali (Native) [4]; English (Native) [4]; German (Native) [4]; Hindi (Native) [4]; Japanese (Native) [4]

Advantages
3D Spatial Sense [10]
Absolute Timing [2]
Charisma 1 [5]
Contact Group (Security guards; Effective skill 21; Advanced equipment; Completely reliable; Constantly available) [300]
Damage Resistance 6 (Breakable, DR 30, SM 0, can replace but not repair, -40%; Can Be Stolen, forcible removal, -10%; Flexible, -20%; Hardened 1, +20%) [15] + Damage Resistance 24 (Breakable, DR 30, SM 0, can replace but not repair, -40%; Can Be Stolen, forcible removal, -10%; Flexible, -20%; Hardened 3, +60%; Limited, piercing attack, -40%) [60]
Daredevil [15]
External ST +15 (Breakable, DR 30, SM 0, can replace but not repair, -40%; Can Be Stolen, forcible removal, -10%) [60]
Fashion Sense [5]
Fit [5]
Gizmos 3 [15]
Hard to Kill 5 (Breakable, DR 30, SM 0, can replace but not repair, -40%; Can Be Stolen, forcible removal, -10%) [5]
High TL 1 [5]
Higher Purpose (Space Colonization) +1 [5]
Independent Income 3 [3]: $40,000,000,000/month
Language Talent [10]
Legal Immunity 3 [15]
Less Sleep 2 [4]
Multimillionaire 6 [200]: starting wealth $2,000,000,000,000
Quick Gadgeteer [50]
Signature Gear: Headquarters (Special Abilities: located in GEO, with advanced defenses, +100%; Equivalent to a city-state, with a shuttle fleet and a large private spaceyacht; Made of supermaterials; 225,000 square feet; 22,500 tons; walls 6"; 2,800 HP; HT 14; DR 2,000) [80]
Status 7 [20]: cost of living $60,000,000/month*
Unusual Background (Sovereign) [50]
Versatile [5]
Visualization [10]

*Includes +3 from Wealthy

Perks
Headquarters Perks (Access Control: Biometric DNA-based; Computer: Supercomputer; Electronic Security System: IR sensors; Laboratory: Materials science; Laboratory: Propulsion systems; Library: Engineering and business; Safe; Shielded Room; Surgery; Uninterruptible Power Supply; Video Projection System: Holographic; Workshop: Engineering) [12]

Powers
Electromagnetic Powers (Electronic, -30%)
Burning Attack 6d (Microwave beams; Accurate +10, +50%; Area Effect, 1,000 yards radius, +500%; Breakable, DR 2,000, SM +10, Complex Mechanism, -30%; Can Be Stolen, Forcible Capture, -10%; Electronic, -30%; Increased Range, 500,000, +170%; Independent, +70%; Overhead, +30%; Preparation Required, 1 minute, -20%; Surge, +20%) [255]
Alternate Attack: Burning Attack 12d (Microwave beams; Accurate +10, +50%; Breakable, DR 2,000, SM +10, Complex Mechanism, -30%; Can Be Stolen, Forcible Capture, -10%; Electronic, -30%; Increased Range, 2,000, +100%; Independent, +70%; Preparation Required, 1 minute, -20%; Rapid Fire, RoF 10, +100%; Surge, +20%) [42]
Alternate Attack: Burning Attack 15d (Microwave beams; Accurate +10, +50%; Breakable, DR 2,000, SM +10, Complex Mechanism, -30%; Can Be Stolen, Forcible Capture, -10%; Electronic, -30%; Increased Range, 2,000, +100%; Independent, +70%; No Wounding, -50%; Preparation Required, 1 minute, -20%; Rapid Fire, RoF 10, +100%; Surge, +20%) [45]
Scanning Sense (Imaging Radar; Breakable, DR 2,000, SM +10, Complex Mechanism, -30%; Can Be Stolen, Forcible Capture, -10%; Electronic, -30%; Increased Range, 50,000, +170%) [40]

Disadvantages
Code of Honor (Merchant's) [-5]
Curious (12) [-5]
Enemies (Greenpeace; Watchers; 6 or less) [-4]
Impulsiveness (12) [-10]
Overconfidence (12) [-5]
Pacifism (Self-Defense Only) [-15]
Post-Combat Shakes (12) [-5]
Sense of Duty (Space Travelers) [-5]
Workaholic [-5]
Xenophilia (12) [-10]

Quirks
Dislikes religious violence [-1]
Imaginative [-1]
Proud [-1]

Wildcard Skills
Businessman!-24 [84]
Computers!-21 [48]
Inventor!-27 [120]
Pilot!-14 [60]

Ordinary Skills
Area Knowledge (India)-19 [1]
Area Knowledge (GEO)-20 [2]
Astronomy-18 [2]
Brawling-11 [1]
Carousing-14 [2]
Chemistry-17 [1]
Cryptography-17 [1]
Current Affairs (Politics)-19 [1]
Current Affairs (Science and Technology)-20 [2]
Driving (Automobile)-12 [4]
Electronics Operation (Communications)-18 [1]
Environment Suit (Vacc Suit)-12 [2]
Erotic Art-11 [2]
Military Science-17 [1]
Free Fall-12 [4]
Geography (Physical)-18 [1]
Geography (Political)-18 [1]
Guns (Rifle)-12 [2]
Hiking-12 [2]
Law (Space)-17 [1]
Meditation-17 [1]
Meteorology-18 [1]
Navigation (Space)-20 [1]
Observation-18 [1]
Parachuting-11 [1]
Philosophy (Popperian/Hayekian)-17 [1]
Physics-17 [1]
Public Speaking-19 [1]
Research-20 [4]
Riding (Horse)-11 [2]
Saber-11 [2]
Savoir-Faire (High Society)-19 [1]
Savoir-Faire (Military)-19 [1]
Speed-Reading-20 [4]
Sports (Cricket)-11 [2]

Defenses
Dodge-14
Broadsword Parry-14
Missile Weapons Parry-13
Unarmed Parry-16

Attributes 240 - Secondary Characteristics 5 + Advantages 976 + Perks 12 + Powers 382 – Disadvantages 69 – Quirks 3 + Skills 333 = 1,900

Old 01-09-2019, 12:19 AM   #18
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Here's my example of such a character, from my supers campaign Sovereignty.
I want to know more. Why does he use swords? How is he so rich? Whats his background and whats that "sovereign" term used here and there?
Old 01-09-2019, 12:30 AM   #19
Icelander

Quote:
Contact Group (Security guards; Effective skill 21; Advanced equipment; Completely reliable; Constantly available) [300]
Would these security guards physically provide security for Mr. Singh, including patrolling for trouble and engaging any threats with what armed response is legal in the setting, or are they only consultants who'll tell him if his security system is adequate and inform him about any threats, allowing Mr. Singh to face any intruders on his own?

Because security that provides protection in the form of fighting on your behalf is an Ally Group. Contact Group, despite probably being far more expensive in terms of points (especially for such a high point value character), yields only an abstract skill level to answer questions and provide information, it doesn't give the services of anyone with combat stats.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:48 AM   #20
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Would these security guards physically provide security for Mr. Singh, including patrolling for trouble and engaging any threats with what armed response is legal in the setting, or are they only consultants who'll tell him if his security system is adequate and inform him about any threats, allowing Mr. Singh to face any intruders on his own?

Because security that provides protection in the form of fighting on your behalf is an Ally Group. Contact Group, despite probably being far more expensive in terms of points (especially for such a high point value character), yields only an abstract skill level to answer questions and provide information, it doesn't give the services of anyone with combat stats.
That's not where the line is drawn in GURPS Supers. They're a Contact Group because they will not go on adventures with him; they're part of the staff of his space station. They're there to keep order and occasionally restrain ordinary human criminals; their job description does not include fighting supervillains or other threats on Singh's scale.

The restrictions are that

Routine security personnel can be bought as a Contact
Group, subject to certain restrictions:
• They can’t be sent out into the field; they perform combat
duties only at the headquarters.
• The headquarters isn’t located in a combat zone or otherwise
constantly threatened with attack or invasion.
• The security staff are built on less than 20% of the hero’s
point total. This provides a way for a four-color hero to take
ordinary mortals as security forces, rather than the highly
trained combatants he could take as 1-point Allies.