Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-04-2019, 07:45 AM   #11
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Impulsiveness

I don't remember many people taking it. I remember a GM once said: "Why would anyone take an instant death sentence for a mere [-10] points? You can only survive with this trait in a silly campaign." While I consider that stance radical, I think there are some serious reasons for why the sentiment exists. Proper preparation solves a lot of problems all by itself, while charging onward can turn an assured victory into a total disaster.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:07 AM   #12
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
I don't remember many people taking it. I remember a GM once said: "Why would anyone take an instant death sentence for a mere [-10] points? You can only survive with this trait in a silly campaign." While I consider that stance radical, I think there are some serious reasons for why the sentiment exists. Proper preparation solves a lot of problems all by itself, while charging onward can turn an assured victory into a total disaster.
There is the old cliche that a master swordsman would rather fight another master then a doofus because nobody has told them that they are being stupid and they do something unexpected.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:18 AM   #13
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
There is the old cliche that a master swordsman would rather fight another master then a doofus because nobody has told them that they are being stupid and they do something unexpected.
There is a slight element of truth to that, in that a lot of stupid things in fencing involve ignoring the fact that if you launch an attack from some positions, your opponent will skewer you before you connect. Knowing that, no one would launch such an attack unless he was suicidal, which most people aren't.

A master has survived a lot of swordfights and can therefore usually be relied on to want to walk away from this one, as well. You can fence with a fellow master for positioning in a complex mental chess match, dis-engaging honorably once pride is satisfied, with perhaps either party having taken a slight nick, or perhaps neither having received any wound, but measure having been taken.

The ignorant swordsman could get the pair of you killed, swords skewering each other, because he didn't know that attacking when you had superior positioning was certain to get him killed.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:08 AM   #14
Brandy

More than two decades ago, I joined a campaign late and was given an NPC to take over as my character -- I didn't mind, as I was delighted to get to play in a game rather than GMing for a change.

The NPC was "Flynn the Elf Lord", a light-fighting, rapier-wielding, swashbuckler type. The PCs were all were heavy fighters with armor and shields -- a group of squires to an absent knight. The players had assumed that NPC Flynn, who was serving as their guide, was built on many more points than them and was far more capable, but in reality all the characters were the same number of points -- 150 3e points as I recall. In addition, Flynn was an Elf with Status, Charisma, and Magery (but no spells). Because there were so many points put in other things, from a combat perspective Flynn was not nearly as effective as the other characters - at least on paper - but they didnt know that. Flynn's character sheet also included both overconfidentand impulsive.

So, in one of the first sessions there we all are in the same bog-standard rpg tavern that we've all probably seen. As luck would have it, a brawl ensued because of a misunderstanding between one of the PCs and another bar patron. As the fight began, I announced that I was running up the stairs to the balcony. On my next available action, I announced that I was going to leap the railing, and swing on the chandelier towards one of the tavern-brawlers.

GM: "It doesn't look like it will hold you."
Me (somewhat sternly): "I didn't ask."

In a later session we're traveling through some woods, and the five of us get jumped by 6 orc warriors -- 4 from one direction and 2 from the other.

Flynn was the fastest PC, so got first action. I charged the group of 4 and shouted "Dispatch the others, I will hold these off."

They did as I asked. Flynn did not survive the first round of contact! (Three of the four Orcs successfully thrust at me with their spears, and I didn't make a single defense roll).

After they revived me, one of the characters asked Flynn why he did that. My reply was a confused "What do you mean? There were only four of them."

To this day, any time I am presented with a character sheet that has overconfident and impulsive on it, I tell those stories and explain that that is the standard to which such a character must strive.

Usually they change the disads. :)
Old 01-04-2019, 03:17 PM   #15
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
After they revived me, one of the characters asked Flynn why he did that. My reply was a confused "What do you mean? There were only four of them."
You played On The Edge perfectly.

Overconfident and Impulsive? I'd give it to you, but not require such over-the-top foolhardiness from others.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:09 PM   #16
Brandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I don't think so. I legitimately attempted to hold them at bay, only defending. I had very unlucky rolls. Between all-out defenses, retreat and dodge, it wasn't completely out-of-the question that I could delay for a few combat rounds.

It was the very first thing I thought of and even in retrospect something Flynn would have thought he could do. I think it is spot on Overconfident/ Impulsive. YMMV. :)
Old 01-04-2019, 06:31 PM   #17
Icelander

Quote:

Overconfident and Impulsive? I'd give it to you, but not require such over-the-top foolhardiness from others.
Quote:
I don't think so. I legitimately attempted to hold them at bay, only defending. I had very unlucky rolls. Between all-out defenses, retreat and dodge, it wasn't completely out-of-the question that I could delay for a few combat rounds.

It was the very first thing I thought of and even in retrospect something Flynn would have thought he could do. I think it is spot on Overconfident/ Impulsive. YMMV. :)
I tend to think of it as follows:

Impulsive; 'I'll do whatever pops into my head rather than stop and think about it, but absent other Disadvantages, can estimate risk normally and am just as likely to suddenly decide to fall back as I am to run ahead, because I have no more courage or foolhardiness than the average person, I just have a shorter analytic process.'

Overconfidence; 'I think I am far more compent than I actually am, which often causes me to accept battle when I shouldn't or come up with plans that rely on illusionary awesomeness to succeed, but while I pursue my unrealistic goals, I can use all of my skills to full effect, including Tactics and defending at full skill, as I have no desire to die or be hurt, I just overestimate my ability to avoid harm.'

On the Edge; 'Whether I acknowledge it or not, I have a desth wish and I will actually prefer a reckless, awesome and impractical approach over a less flashy, more high-percentage one.'

The three are sometimes somewhat similar in effect, but I find them distinct and would (do) allow all three in combination, though I warn players that this amounts roughly to Terminally Ill with a Self-Control roll.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:15 PM   #18
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
All perfectly legit under On The Edge.

Quote:
And I said I'd give it to you, but not require such of other Players.

In that exact situation, there was no time to plan so Impulsive really isn't in effect and you're just pushing Overconfident to the max.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:22 PM   #19
Brandy

Quote:
All perfectly legit under On The Edge.

And I said I'd give it to you, but not require such of other Players.

In that exact situation, there was no time to plan so Impulsive really isn't in effect and you're just pushing Overconfident to the max.
So, how has Impulsiveness played out in your games or with your characters?
Old 01-04-2019, 07:44 PM   #20
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
So, how has Impulsiveness played out in your games or with your characters?
I'm pretty much the only one who takes Impulsive. So it plays out like the book describes, less planning, more doing.

In the case you described, Flynn didn't have time to plan, so Flynn acted. He could have shouted out "Retreat!" just as well. Impulsive doesn't require a headon charge.

Even Overconfidence doesn't require the Character to make completely foolhardy and suicidal actions. You can even be cautious, just not unreasonably cautious.

I mean, it's only a -5 point Disad, it isn't On The Edge or Berserk or Terminally Ill, Overconfident doesn't have to be a Character ending trait. Likewise with Impulsive.

Tags
disadvantage of the week, impulsiveness