Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-10-2019, 11:46 AM   #81
Anthony

Default Re: If you buy an army using your Wealth, do you need to buy Rank too?

There's a part of me that wants to treat rank and status as just limited wealth -- an officer in charge of a thousand men might have a personal wealth level of Comfortable, but he's in charge of an organization with a combined budget that is probably Multimillionaire 1, so when acting within the limits of his job he functions as a higher wealth level.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:53 AM   #82
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
There's a part of me that wants to treat rank and status as just limited wealth -- an officer in charge of a thousand men might have a personal wealth level of Comfortable, but he's in charge of an organization with a combined budget that is probably Multimillionaire 1, so when acting within the limits of his job he functions as a higher wealth level.
Petraeus, I believe, suggested AO commanders be given a discretionary fund for what is essentially native relations. In his case presumably he believed officers could be trusted not to mooch on it.

That would be kind of like what you are saying.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:59 AM   #83
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Petraeus, I believe, suggested AO commanders be given a discretionary fund for what is essentially native relations. In his case presumably he believed officers could be trusted not to mooch on it.

That would be kind of like what you are saying.
Wealth levels don't have to be about cash. If there's a resource that you can direct (which may have its own budget) you're making use of the organization's wealth. Most such wealth is going to be heavily discounted because there are substantial restrictions on what you're permitted to do with it, at least in a modern context (prior to modern communications, troop commanders often had quite wide discretionary powers), but it still fills many of the same functions as wealth.