Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-19-2018, 12:34 AM   #21
Hide

Default Re: An idea for gods and cosmic beings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
I would not design gods properly. Just write down in clear text what the god can do, and cannot do. The PCs can still interact with the god, but if it cannot be defeated it does not need stats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
When I ran an ancient Greece campaign, I leaned somewhat on the 3ed Greece supplement. It's mostly fluff, and good stuff (...)
Both ideas are pretty nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoisme View Post
I'm planning a campaign in Greek mythology, which is a difficult thing to do with GURPS. I want to my characters to be able to fight and interact with gods of the Greek pantheon, but it is difficult to create beings of that level who don't have such an absurd point value that my PC's don't have a chance (...)
I think you should take a look at "GURPS Powers - Divine Favor". It has useful stuff such as the “world-shaking feats” which could help you balance the CP. For example, an eclipse is worth almost 150 CP, then you could give it a “cosmic terror” boost. That would be the main stuff for Phobos (fear).

Now,

If you want humans to wrestle the gods, humans need godly powers (i.e. blessings) or fight “humanized gods” (i.e. avatars). It is not a matter of CP per-se, it is a matter of the campaign’s background-statements.

For example, you could declare that your PCs were blessed by a certain god. Therefore, they can wrestle Zeus as if he had ST 20, DX 20 (etc.) while in fact he has ST 1,000 and ST 1,500 (etc.). Considering this, you don’t have to give Zeus huge amounts of CP because he won’t fight “normal humans”, he will face “blessed humans” and they will be on “the same level”.

GURPS Powers - Divine Favor (or powers alone), could also help you outline powers such as Hercules’s strength, Achilles’ durability, Prometheus’ regeneration, etc.

If it was gods vs. gods (or titans or half-gods), I would simply design them as humans with “powers as magic” (for example using GURPS Magic - Chinese thaumatology). The side-effects of their battles would be a feature the godly clash (i.e. cataclysm on the human world).

Finally, I don’t recall humans fighting the Greek gods on even conditions... Usually, when humans defied gods (or had to fight them), they received support from another god. Also, I recall most of the fights between humans and gods were “symbolic”, such as beating lots of ordeals until the god finally leaves you alone (or you die).

- Hide
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote