Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Scenarios

Old 01-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #1
Cat

Default Breakthrough Scenario on M1&M3

Played the Breakthrough Scenario several times now on M1&M3, with a good distribution of attacker/defender wins/losses. The mats are a little narrower than the paper map, but this has shown no noticeable effect on tactical balance.

Because of the open waterways which are very easy sledding for GEVs, we've been playing with the Attacker's set-up line being a little further away from the map edge they are trying to exit from, about 1 GEV blitz move further. So far, this distance has shown no noticeable effect on tactical balance.

The standard scenario gives the attacker 12 GEVs, we've been playing with 8 GEVs and 8 LGEVs (the mix available with one set of plastic minis)

Map set-up with M1 north of M3, with both oriented on the same North.

**edit**
After a number of more plays, I have standardised on adding:

Map modifications. All bridges are out on M1. The small bridge out between hex 0307 and 0308 cuts the road there. The large bridge out in hex 1608 means that hex is treated as Swamp for all units.

Special rules. Use 13.01, 13.01.3, 13.02, 13.02.01, and 13.02.02 for terrain destruction.

Defender sets up on M3; on or South of the road running from 0306–1502–1904.

Attacker sets up on M1; on or North of the hex line xx07.

Use a deployment screen and reveal positions after both sides have set up.

Normal victory conditions. The Attacker is attempting to exit off the Southern edge of the map.

Photos of one of the gameplays (with fancy new set-up curtain!) over here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1148...6942310093770/

Last edited by Cat; 01-21-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:51 PM   #2
Cat

Default Re: Breakthrough Scenario on M1&M3

Added terrain edits to the OP.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:26 PM   #3
dwalend

Thanks for posting! I've been trying to get time to try it, failing to find the half-hour. I'm glad to see it works well.

When you played did anyone sit in terrain enough to damage it?
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:47 PM   #4
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
When you played did anyone sit in terrain enough to damage it?
Yes, out of about 9 games now, one player particularly went all out for deploying in depth and cutting roads, that was certainly a viable tactic that worked.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:35 PM   #5
Cat

Reviewing my playtest results to date from the last two conventions plus some games at the FLGS, the attacking side has been faring a bit better than defense.

I think the largest contributing factor is the force mix I’ve been using. Defense is the same as in the classic scenario: 6 armor units and 20 squad units. Classic offense is 12 GEVs. A standard box of plastic minis only has 8 GEVs, so I’ve been running this with 8 GEVs + 8 LGEVs. While technically the same AU force value, this mix allows the offense to optimise attack strength much better to line up more 1:1 attacks each turn without wasting excess firepower.

I’ll have to try adjusting one side or the other a small amount to see how that works out.

Last edited by Cat; 03-03-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote