Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-22-2017, 05:19 PM   #811
Phantasm

Default Re: Another 2000 Things I Am No Longer Allowed To Do In An RPG

452. In SR5, my rigger is not to name all of his drones after Peanuts characters.

453. In the event that 452 is broken, the Doberman drone cannot be named "Snoopy".

454. Giving a command of "Snoopy, come home" in those words is right out.

455. Preemptively forbidden from making a large or huge sized blimp drone, painting it orange with a Jack-O-Lantern face, and naming it "The Great Pumpkin".

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 09-22-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:43 PM   #812
Terwin

456) I am never again allowed to base a character off of my paranoid cat (even though the similarities are all coincidental)

457) Any character that causes the other party members to talk into the air in hopes of relaying information is discouraged(paranoid + >16 stealth + camouflage clothing)

458) Should 456 or 457 be broken, asking the GM to have my character kidnapped and tortured to justify making the character more afraid of being alone than being close to the other party members is not allowed(once is enough)

458a) Under no circumstances am I allowed to write more than 3 single spaced pages detailing said capture and torture

458b) Anything that involves a young girl with two broken legs dragging themselves across a rough cave floor should really just be glossed over

458c) This goes double for anyone being threatened with having their eyes gouged out with their own bone protruding from a fresh compound fracture

458d) Really, 'she was tortured' is plenty, you really, really do not need to go into any more detail than that...

459) After being rescued from her torturers and healed, said character should really not make good on the promises she made(unasked) about being a loyal and obedient slave if she was taken from the people torturing her to death.

459a) In particular assuming that the (lecherous) party necromancer would be her new master because he is the only one with 'slaves' is a bad idea

459b) Especially when she is not quite 16 years old, but looks more like a skinny 12 year old due to more than a decade of hard living

459c) Really anything that makes the GM state multiple times 'There will be no rape in my game' is probably a bad idea.

460) Anything more than 30 pages long is not merely a persona history. Single spaced does not make it any better.

461) Anyone who writes more than 30 pages from the point of view of a character with 30+ points of paranoia and delusions relating to fearing other people probably needs help.

461a) Even if said back-story fully justifies those fears and delusions.

461b) Especially if said back-story makes the paranoid delusional seem like they have an irrationally high level of trust in strangers for someone with their life-experience.

462) A cat-girl should never wear a leather jacket and pants with a color and pattern designed to look like human skin

462a) wearing a low-cut dress over said skin-suit does not in any way make it better.

462b) Especially when she is an under-nourished barely-16 year old who looks young/small for her age, and she padded out the womanly curves of the jacket to seem more like human women she had seen.

(yes these are all the same character)

Last edited by Terwin; 10-14-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Terwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:13 PM   #813
Terwin

463) When a GM who is unfamiliar with the standard magic system makes tweaks for his game that incidentally make that system *much* more potent, I will inform them of how any why they just made Mages the uber-class of the campaign

464) When the GM in 463 ignores my warnings, I should not then play a character that leverages all of those unbalanced aspects to make a character that could take out most of the rest of the party with both hands tied behind his back

465) Apparently making highly effective characters with a single Achilles heel for balance is frowned upon because the GM gets bored of only using that one thing over and over again.

466) I am no longer allowed to take TK with a high TK talent to make a small, unimposing character that can wipe the floor with most hulking brutes, with a point budget that was intended to limit the party to novice power levels.

467) I am no longer allowed to take levels of TK with extended range(50 yds) combined with a high Karate parry(12) and then proceed to parry practically all small-arms fire directed at the parry by anything less than overwhelming odds. Adding compartmentalized mind(TK only) does not make it better.

Last edited by Terwin; 10-17-2017 at 11:58 AM. Reason: added 466,467
Terwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:14 AM   #814
WaterAndWindSpirit

468) No longer allowed to have my character be the son of a prostitute just for the purpose of my character being offended when [Acceptable Target] is insulted by being called a "son of a whore".
469) No longer allowed to have my character pretend to be the son of a prostitute so he could pretend to be offended, even in jest, anytime [Acceptable Target] is insulted by being called a "son of a whore".

(Son of a whore being a popular insult in France.)
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:07 AM   #815
Irish Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
468) No longer allowed to have my character be the son of a prostitute just for the purpose of my character being offended when [Acceptable Target] is insulted by being called a "son of a whore".
469) No longer allowed to have my character pretend to be the son of a prostitute so he could pretend to be offended, even in jest, anytime [Acceptable Target] is insulted by being called a "son of a whore".

(Son of a whore being a popular insult in France.)
Can I still have a werewolf character be offended when someone else is insulted by being called a "son of a bitch"?

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:13 PM   #816
WaterAndWindSpirit

470) My hacker with 20 IQ and 30 Computer hacking can sneak in a command post and hack the drone fleet with her smartphone. That's no excuse for her making every non essential screen linked to the hacked system display a Black Queen Chess piece.
471) As a GM, I may not send the PC party on a dangerous mission to retrieve a chess set made of gold and onyx.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:23 PM   #817
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
470) ... That's no excuse for her making every non essential screen linked to the hacked system display a Black Queen Chess piece.
471) As a GM, I may not send the PC party on a dangerous mission to retrieve a chess set made of gold and onyx.
We were successful, but alas, we only managed to retrieve 31 of the pieces. The onyx queen was missing for some reason. Yeah, missing. No idea why it wasn't with the rest of the set. Well, thanks for the job; better luck next time.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:50 PM   #818
WaterAndWindSpirit

472) I cannot give my character "Delusion: thinks she is a tabletop RPG player character".
Old 01-10-2018, 08:02 PM   #819
gibberingmouther

473)not allowed to challenge my low level players (D&D 3.5) with 1d4 - 1 stone giants ... because inevitably i roll a 4-1=3 and they have to quit the adventure after having thankfully scouted ahead with the wizard's bird familiar

meh. it was funnier to us than when i tell it here. eventually we'll get back to those stone giants, just got to level up a bit.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:00 AM   #820
WaterAndWindSpirit

474) Not allowed to give modern PCs an old plastic toy that has become a collector's item worth a lot of money as their end of adventure loot.
475) Currency printed by Emperor Norton I is also right out as loot.
476) My PCs are now collecting every piece of random useless stuff they find during their missions as loot just in case it ends up being a collector's item. This clearly has gone too far.