Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 05-28-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
reb

Default [ooc] ad&d 3.5 game

post your characters here and when your happy with them i'll open the IC thread.

1st level characters with half a level of exp points to get to 2nd level.
takes place in the my world of ahjahlon world setting

you are in the villidge of harkin which lies on the border of the kingdom of sanbriel.
it is a large villidge that makes it living mostly from fishing and wood products.

the villidge is ran by a villidge council,

the characters will begin in the broken lance inn.

every body get 2 free feats associated with your class

and one non-class feat.

roll 4 d-6 and drop the lowest for stats.(as usual)
you can switch up to 2 points beteen stats however you like.

make a detailed equipment list and where you are carrying what and how many,etc...

come up with a suitable background that is generic enough that i can work it into my world,you will be given freebies based upon the background you generate.make it plausable and beleivable,
example,i am from the villidge of such and such,my father was....... and he was the blacksmith there,i decided to strike out on my own rather than be stuck in the villidge following my fathers trade,etc.....

the better and more detail you put in it,the more bonus freebies you will get.

no evil characters allowed!!you are the good guys,the heros of the story..

equipment:
just pick your equipment and do not worry about having to purchase it,pick normal items and be detailed as you can,this is the only time you get free stuff,so make sure you have what you want,after that you will have to aquire what you need or want through role playing in the game.

be specific on where you are carrying stuff,if it is in a belt pouch or rucksack or haversack then so state that.

roleplaying:
the better you role play your characters the more on the spot awards you get and freebies from me as the D.M.get into your characters and 'interact with the world around you.

how you roleplay your character WILL directly affect how you are viewed by my various npc's in game.
if you want to make freinds then go out of your way to interact with folks in the game.
it's up to you as a player to think about what you are doing.

i base things on roleplaying more than anything else,how you describe what you are doing will directly affect your rolls in game and will give you pluses or minuses depending on how you described your particular action you were doing 'in game'.

free floating a/c:
the a/c of your character can change depending on the circumstances that are happening in game at the time.
make a base a/c: this is the a/c you normally have w/o any armour,sheilds,enhancements,etc...
then add in armor and sheilds,etc.

by free floating i mean the d/c to hit you may change depending on where a foe may be in relationship to you in a engagement.
examples:
if a foe attacks or targets you from the rear your a/c is a base 10 because you never saw the attack coming and have no defence against it.
this mat sound harsh,but it's realistic,so manuver around to get in a good blow or attack.
for feints and other attacks that fool you and get past your active defences such as feints,leg sweeps,foot trips,etc,this just may lower your a/c value because you were caught unawares,thus making it easier for you to be hit.

all armor has damage reduction and will absorb or stop the damage you take,depending on the type of specific damage you take.

example:
mail is excellant at stopping slashing attacks,but is nearly useless for protection vs impact and bludgeon attacks,wear padded or quilted to augment the mails capability.

think outside the box,
get down and dirty in combat,use sheild rims for rimm attacks,sheild boss punches,sheild rushes,bashes,knee to the groins,eye gouges,foot stomps,pommel punches,target weak areas of vulnerability..ie:armpits,shins,wrists,hands,etc.. .the foe will be doing the same to you.

wounds:
whether you take 1 point or more,all wounds will have a proportionate effect matching the type of wound received in game...
example,you take 1 point to the face from a slash or cut and you have a small gash or cut to the face and it will bleed,
you receive a arrow to the legg and get four points of damage,then you have exactly that,a shaft is now in your right or left legg and may have went through your armor and has to be dealt with.you will have to deal with the projectile and get it out and treat the wound.

bones can be broken,teeth knocked out,you can be knocked sensless,be stunned from a blow,etc.
so be aware of this.

the world is a dangerous place,only the prepared survive...get violent and mad dog mean in a fight,do whatever it takes to win!
there really is no such thing as a 'chilverous' fight in combat(except in a tourney),fight to win..period.this goes for good aligned and bad aligned characters n npc's.

take advantage of the npc's,learn from them,thats what i have them there for...if a npc knows something you want to learn then approach them and ask then to teach you 'in game',they may just agree to teach you.

Last edited by reb; 05-19-2011 at 09:48 AM.
reb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
ladyarcana55

Default Re: [ooc] ad&d 3.5 game

Having a tough time coming up with a character...

A young female elf, that much I know I want to do.

I was thinking of making her an escaped slave who knows nothing of her people or her family history. She was taken when she was a baby and her mother was killed. Whether her father was killed is unknown. She became a thief purely for survival.

Will that work?
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
reb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarcana55 View Post
Having a tough time coming up with a character...

A young female elf, that much I know I want to do.

I was thinking of making her an escaped slave who knows nothing of her people or her family history. She was taken when she was a baby and her mother was killed. Whether her father was killed is unknown. She became a thief purely for survival.

Will that work?
sounds cool!!

leaves me mega room for back plot......... this game is in my own ahjahlon world setting,

Last edited by reb; 06-02-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:16 AM   #4
ladyarcana55

Quote:
Originally Posted by reb View Post
sounds cool!!

leaves me mega room for back plot!
was going to place this game in forgotten realms,but opted for the world of grey hawk instead.
Whichever. Either way, works for me
Old 06-01-2010, 10:34 PM   #5
ladyarcana55

I should warn you, a friend gave me a sheet cartoonists use when creating characters. I try to use it but I don't always. Lotus is one of the characters I have been able to use it on, so this is actually really long. I try to make my character backgrounds general enough so that they can fit in the GMs world. I also try to pack them full of potential plots. Use them if you wish.

Name: Morsel (AKA Lotus)

Sex: Female

Physical Health: She is somewhat undernourished, and it shows. She spent her whole life as a Drow slave, and you can imagine the care they give to their slaves. She is very agile, but not very strong.

Appearance: She is about 5’8. She is unusually tall for an elf. She is very pale for a wood elf, and she very thin. She also has short dark hair. She started to keep her hair cut because her masters would grab her by her hair. On the back of her neck she has a tattoo that she knows nothing about. She thinks it is a mark of ownership, the mark of her true masters.

Hygiene: Compared to her basic survival, hygiene was not a very high priority in her life. But she does prefer to stay clean. She will never really bathe because that is a luxury for her masters, but she will wipe herself down with a cloth maybe every other day. But she will bathe fully if she is ordered to. She will also wash her hair in a bowl of water once a week.

Intelligence and Education: She is very intelligent, but she was never really given an education outside of what she was able to glean. She has basic reading and writing. She also taught herself to hide, to move silently, and to be very aware of her surroundings. The better to avoid being hurt. She also had to learn to steal to be able to eat. Because of her skills and abilities her masters began to use her for retrievals and spying missions.

Diet: For the most part, she eats whatever she is given or finds. She mostly eats bread, fruits and veggies. She does not eat meat because she had seen other slaves be served up as food. As a result, the concept of meat revulses her. Every so often her masters would offer her meat to test her. So now she will not touch it in any circumstance. It is a psychological conditioning that she is unlikely to ever overcome.

Culture: She grew up in a brutal slave culture. Own or be owned. Only the strong shall rule, and the intelligent might survive. Since she was never one of the strong, she did everything she could to be one of the intelligent. Her escape was her first act of defiance and it frightens her. She is in a world she knows nothing about and she is trying to figure out what to do to survive.

History: She knows nothing of her history. Her parents were from a high ranking family. Her father was away and her mother had taken her on a journey to reunite the family when the caravan was attacked by Drow. Those who weren’t killed on the spot, were taken into slavery. Her mother had been killed in the attack leaving behind their infant daughter who was whisked away as part of the slave force. This is how she has lived ever since. Occasionally she was forced to satisfy someone’s lust, and this was what prompted her to learn how to hide and be very quiet.

One day, her masters noticed that she was very agile and moved very quietly. They decided to teach her a few things and they started to use her for spying missions and retrievals. She did well, better than they expected her to do. She knew she was getting old enough to be used as breeding stock, or as a concubine. She really didn’t like either of those options, and while she languished over what to do, a miracle happened. She heard a voice on the wind telling her what to do. She wasn’t sure whose voice it was, only that it spoke to her with a gentleness she had never heard directed at her before. She listened and obeyed. The next time she was sent away on a spying mission, she took her chances and escaped.

She had no idea how long she was running, or how long it would be until her masters found her and killed her. But the next thing she knew, she found herself blinded by a bright light. She was found wandering by a group of peasants and they took her in. She wouldn’t speak and was obviously very frightened and confused so the youngest daughter called her Lotus and the name stuck.

Religion: She discovered the voice belonged to the only good Drow goddess Elistraee. She helped Morsel to escape and Morsel will follow her until the day she dies. She takes comfort in the thought that her goddess will look after her and guide her when Morsel needs it the most.

Income: She was a slave. What income? She was taught that nothing is ever truly hers. Anything of value she finds she will give it to either the strongest person, or to the person who she is serving. She will not accept money or anything precious. She will only accept useful practical items that are given to her. Even then she understands that it will be taken from her at any moment. The only time she will accept money is when she is ordered to or if there are others in need.

Sexual Orientation: This isn’t something she ever really thought about. She is hetero sexual, but after her experiences with sex, the whole thing frightens her.

Family: She has none, as far as she knows. While she was growing up she was told that she was responsible for her mother’s death. Her father was so angry, he gave her to them as a punishment. The thought that this was a lie never occurred to her and so the thought of ever meeting her father frightens her.

Friends: She doesn’t feel she has any. She only has people she serves, and people who serve with her. The kindness people show her confuses her but she cannot help but respond.

Psychology: As I mentioned earlier, she grew up in a slave culture. She understands that she will never be truly free and she accepts that. She still acts with the mannerisms she learned during her imprisonment. She will give new things a try, but if it doesn’t work out, then it never will, as far as she is concerned, and she will go through great lengths to avoid whatever failed. The thought that not everything works exactly the same way has never really occurred to her.

Goals: She doesn’t really want her freedom. If she did get it, she wouldn’t know what to do with it. All she wants is to find a kinder master who wouldn’t hit her as much, or take their lust out on her. She believes that the mark on the back of her neck is the mark of her true owners who will reclaim her one day. She believes the Drow stole her from her true masters and they taught her to be a loyal slave. So she will find these masters and return to them, just as one would expect a loyal slave to do. She doesn’t know if the situation will be better or worse, but she has to go to the people she belongs to, the people she was meant to serve.

Beliefs: She understands that some people were fortunate enough to have their freedom and she does not begrudge people of that. She also understands that what she went through, a lot of people cannot imagine and she is happy for that. She only wants to live and for others to be happy.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:08 AM   #6
reb

waiting for your character,when it;s here i'll open a IC section...
sent you some stuff you gained from your background.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #7
ladyarcana55

Okay, sorry it took a while, it's been crazy at work. This is the character sheet I have for her, plus all of the bonuses you gave me (thank you). Let me know if any of it is wrong and I will fill out equipment later, I can't think of what else I would have.

Lotus
2 Rogue
Elf
Chaotic Good

STR 10 (0) HP 10 (+3 GM Bonus)
DEX 17 (+3) AC 13 (Flatfooted 10)
CON 12 (+1)
INT 14 (+2)
WIS 11 (+0)
CHA 13 (+1) INITIATIVE +3

Saving Throws
FORTITUDE 1
REFLEX 5
WILL 2 (+2 GM Bonus)
BASE ATTACK BONUS 0 SPELL RESISTANCE 0

GRAPPLE 0

SKILLS

Appraise 2
Balance 4
Bluff (Fast Talk) 2
Combat Anatomy 3
Concentration 1
Craft 4 (Leatherworking)
Craft 4 (Sewing)
Decipher Script 2
Diplomacy 1
Disable Device 2
Disguise 1
Escape Artist 7
First Aid 2 (+1 due to her knowledge of poisons) (500 points 5/14/11)
Forgery 2
Gather Information 9
Handle Animal 1
Hide 12
Hide in Shadows 16
Intimidate 1
Knowledge (Underdark Biology) 6
Knowledge (Underdark) 7
Knowledge (dragons) 2 +1
Knowledge (drow Religion) 7
Knowledge (geography) 2
Knowledge (history) 2
Knowledge (local) 2
Knowledge (nature) 2
Knowledge (religion) 2
Knowledge (explosives) 1
Knowledge (explosive mage tech)[globes,vials,etc..]1
Leadership 0
Listen 12
Mageskill (+2) [06 May 2011]
Move Silently 11
Open Lock 5
Perform (Sing) 7 (500 points + GM reward 5/14/11)
Poison 3
Ride 3
Scouting 1 (+2) (500 points 5/14/11)
Scribe 4
Search 8
Sense Motive 8 vs Drow 10
Slavery/world +3
Sleight of Hand 5
Speak Language 2
Spellcraft 3 (500 points 5/14/11)
Spot 10
Survival Underdark 5
Swim 1
Tactics/gen rank 0 (From GM 5/14/11)
Tumble 7
Use Magic Device 3 (500 points 5/14/11)
Use Rope 3

Encumberances
LIGHT LOAD: 1-33lb.
MEDIUM LOAD: 34-66lb.
HEAVY LOAD: 67-100lb.
LIFT OVER HEAD: 100lb.
LIFT OFF GROUND: 200lb.
PUSH OR DRAG: 500lb

Elf abilities
Immunity to sleep spells
+2 save bonus vs Enchantment spells
Low-light vision
Proficient with longsword, rapier
Proficient with most bows
Infra Vision

For bows...base of:
+0 dx to hit w/a short bow (200 points 5/14/11)
-3 dx to hit w/a long bow (100 points 5/14/11)
+0 dx to hit w/a recurve horn bow [06 May 2011 spent 500 points] (100 points 5/14/11)
-9 to hit w/a great bow (100 points 5/14/11)

cost 100 exp points per +1 on each bow type.

Feats
Alertness
Armor Proficiency (light)
Blindfighting
Agile
Deft Hands
Stealthy
Toughness
Double Weapon Proficiency (if you are attacking twice your attacks are at both -2)
Evasion (on a successful saving throw, no damage)

Danger Sense basic from dragon mag issue 301 alertness standers wis check base of dc 15 alertness phb p 89

Passive Reconnoiter scout feat dragon mag issue#346 pg87 when you spend a full round action looking for opponents,you receive a +3 circumstance bonus on listen and spot checks.

Languages
Common
Elven
Drow
Pellorian -2

Rogue abilities
Sneak attack +1d6
Trapfinding

Equipment
Backpack
Lockpicks
Rapier (Speed 2, Damage: Cut=1d6, Thrust=1d12+4, Chop=1d4, Impact:1d6-1)
2 Long Knives (Damage: Cut=1d6+1, Chop=1d6-1, Thrust=1d6+3, Impact=1d4+1)

Armor
padded vest:
wgt:6 pnds.
dr: cut:8 chop:6 thrust:5 impact:7
penalty:-1 to dex checks

mail mesh:
wgt: 6 pnds
dr: cut:6 chop:1 thrust:4 impact:0

Magic Items
Ring of Shadows when activated you get a +4 to skill when hiding in shadows
Sandals move silently adds +2 to move silent skills
Minor Ring of Regeneration heals 1 hp a day.

08June2010: 497 xp and a +1 to any skill (Perform)
19June 2010: New armor and 20 xp. I also modified my sheet slightly
20June2010: 231 XP making it a grand total of 728
30April2011: 320 XP making it a total of 1048. Also got First Aid and fixed my sheet some
03 May 2011: Added Slavery/world +2 and Dragons/gen knowledge +1 per GM. Still have to update to Level 2
06 May 2011: Bought skills. 48 Left
14 May 2011: Awarded 10xp...58
15 May 2011: Given 3rd level. An additional 3000xp and bought skills (noted above) Also given an extra rank in Singing, 30xp given. 88xp total
06 July 2013: 230 + 600xp. 918xp total

Last edited by ladyarcana55; 07-06-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:50 PM   #8
reb

Quote:
Originally Posted by poddy View Post
Heres my character:

Dan Abyssa
Human fighter/cavalryman NEED HR:sandy blond (short) EYES:blue HGT:6' WGT: 140 COMPLECTION:

EXP PNTS:650
str. 18/4
DEx. 10/0
Con. 14/2
Int. 18/4
wis. 14/2
char. 17/3
per: 12
looks:avg

hp:10
================================================== ========================
A/C'S:
NORMAL W/O ENCUMBRANCE:10
PADDED:MAX DX BONUS:+8 ARMOR CHECK PENALTY:-1 A/C BONUS:1
CHAIN HAUBERK: MAX DX BONUS:+2 ARMOR CHECK PENALTY:-4 A/C BONUS:4
SHEILD MEDIUM : A/C BONUS:1 (WHEN ACTIVELY USED) COVER A/C:12 -1 armor check penalty

armor............................................. .......................
aketon:
wgt:12 pnds dr cut:9 chop:4 thrust:5 impact:5
bulk:3 dx pen:-1 ac:-2

mail hauberk:
single link rivited non-augmented
wgt:32 pnds dr cut:12 chop:1 thrust:5 impact:0
reaches to mid thigh and has full sleeves with mittens.

SHEILD:
construction:lindon wood base with a light metal sheeting banded rim
type:medium kite tear dropped shape
grip:forearm loop and hand hand gripp
wgt:11 pnds
A/C BONUS:+1
cover/passive defense:ac:12
dr's cut:20 thrust:15 chop:14 impact:18
rimm strike: damage:1d6
sheild punch:1d6-1
bash:1d6+1
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Base attack +1
Fortitude +4
Reflex +0
Will + 2

Feats: (one was homebrewed, hope thats ok)
Cleave NEED STATS ON THIS

Improved feint

Mounted combat

Ride by attack

Spirited charge

Tactical thinking: Receive plus one to all skill checks involving strategy. (homebrew) OK
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EQUIPMENT:
===========
backpack medium wgt:4 pnds
waterskin 1 qt wgt: .6 empty 1 pnd full with shoulder strap
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
10 pages of parchment 10X12 fine carried in a leather tube w cap
1 ink vial 1/2 oz black
one quill w 5 nibbs
all carried in small wood box w lidd
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
PREFERRED WEAPON: +2 TO ATTACK ROLLS AND PARRYS..
Longsword quality:fine wgt:3.4 lbs double edged
damage: dam:cut:1d8+2 chop:1d6+2 thrust:2d6 empact:1d4(flat) 1d6(pommel) critical:min:x2 min up to x4
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
length:7 1/2 ft wgt:6 pnds head:double edged triangular 4 1/2''
dam:cut:1d6 chop:1d4 thrust:1d8+4 impact:1d6
on horse:moving base-double all damage minimum
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
saddle baggs"medium oiled leather 3 lbs
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
blanket roll
ground cloth brown 6x8 canvas w grommitts 1/2 pnd
blanket lgt wool brown 6x4 1 pnd
-------------------------------------------------------------------
HORSE: name:?
hackney brown male size:14 hands wgt:990 pnds
hp:30 speed:60 base a/c:13
knee trained hobble trained
saves: fort+5 ref+4 will+2
attacks;hoof:1d6+2 stomp:2d6+2 bite:1d6+3
lvl:1
initiative:+1
load bearing: lgt:150 med:151-300 hvy:301-450 drag/pull:2,250
-------------------------------------------------------------------
TACK:
saddle warkak 14 lbs
snaffle bit:1/2 pnd
bridle 1/2 pnd
saddle blanket 1 pnd
hoof rasp .4
hoof pick .3
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Skills: all avg difficulty
Light calvalry: 2 iq
Heavy calvalry: 2 iq
Enemy tactics: 2 iq
Leadership: 2 cha
Defensive operations: 5 iq
Offensive operations: 5 iq
Field fortifications: 2 iq
Mercenary troop recruiting: 4 iq+cha
Guerilla warfare: 2 iq
horsemanship:dx+1
sheild combat: dx+1
armor maintinance: iq+0
field cooking:iq +0

Dan was born in the rough and tumble streets of the big city, orphaned at an early age and left to care for his two brothers, and his sister. he eventually took up with a band of adventurers to earn money, but the group was attacked by a group of knights. Don was captuered, and it was revealed to him that the band he had decided to accompany were actually evil. The leader of that group adopted him and taught him in the ways of war.
Dan is now an inspiring leader, whose goal in life is to found his own knightly order to protect those who cannot protect themselves. he now wanders in order to gain fame to this extent.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by reb; 06-05-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #9
poddy

That would be perfect except a) I'd like to add a light shield of some kind and b) it's m longsowrd that's the prEffered weapon, not the lance :) thanks hough dude!!
poddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:34 PM   #10
poddy

Height: 6ft
weight: 140
eyes: blue
hair: short cut, longer then army though, blonde
complexion: pale

horses name: namir (na-me-r)

cleave: it's in the players handbook. It's almost the first feat.
poddy is offline   Reply With Quote