Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-03-2016, 10:51 AM   #1
Sombreiro

Default [Magic as Power/Custom] Raise Corpse

So, I know that by using Ally and modeling it a bit, I could make a Necromancer with an army of undead. But, how can I make a spell that raises undead which are not even slightly my friend? If I stay close to them, I could be attacked and etc.
Sombreiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:54 AM   #2
GodBeastX

Default Re: [Magic as Power/Custom] Raise Corpse

This might sound odd to do, but I would model it with Enemy disadvantage coupled in. Roll against Ally to summon. Roll against enemy to make them hostile or friendly.

Edit:

Oh wait, I see what you're saying. You mean raise an NPC that is effectively neutral or will attack everyone... the option above might still apply for pricing it. You could build the Ally advantage then build enemy along side it and find the difference in cost to fund it.

Though in general, looking at something like infectious bites, if something isn't ally or enemy inherently, or offers no real exploitable advantage, it becomes 0 points. It's almost like how a species that can give birth to more of themselves is worth 0 points because more NPCs isn't necessarily an advantage.

It's hard to say really.

Last edited by GodBeastX; 10-03-2016 at 11:01 AM.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:56 AM   #3
Anaraxes

There's always the Unwilling modifier for Ally (B38).

Quote:
Originally Posted by B38
You have obtained your Ally through coercion (e.g., blackmail or magical binding). You do not have to treat him as well as you would a normal Ally. However, he hates you and is likely to act accordingly
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:04 AM   #4
GodBeastX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
True, it's closer to what OP wants, but that still starts them on your side as an Ally instead of just a neutral party.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:05 AM   #5
Sombreiro

Quote:
The problems is that they are NOT allies, they are NPC's who hunger for Vital Force, and have the Undead trait.

And I'd rather not do something 0 point, as it seems too OP for a Cult of the Damned to be able to do like childsplay.

And building them as a mix of ally or enemy doesnt appeal to me, as they could sometimes help you randomly, but they dont help anyone :/, they just eat.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:11 AM   #6
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
True, it's closer to what OP wants, but that still starts them on your side as an Ally instead of just a neutral party.
I wouldn't rate that as more than an extra -10%. Maybe just a feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombreiro View Post
The problems is that they are NOT allies
As always with GURPS, don't get too hung up on the name of the ability. Look at the mechanical effects, and see if it's what you want. You can rename things to suit the concept for free.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:14 AM   #7
Mathulhu

That simply sounds like an character with a series of obnoxious disadvantages. Someone with Blood Lust [-lots] and Bad Temper (auto failure) [-lots] is compelled to turn on anyone who doesn't immediately give them what they want. If you add Compulsive Behaviour (Consume eat the flesh of sentient beings) [-lots] then what they want becomes your tasty meat.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:16 AM   #8
GodBeastX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombreiro View Post
The problems is that they are NOT allies, they are NPC's who hunger for Vital Force, and have the Undead trait.

And I'd rather not do something 0 point, as it seems too OP for a Cult of the Damned to be able to do like childsplay.

And building them as a mix of ally or enemy doesnt appeal to me, as they could sometimes help you randomly, but they dont help anyone :/, they just eat.
The question is how is it OP? You just created something that is going to eat you too. An example of what I'm talking about is the boomer from Left 4 Dead as statted by GURPS writers. It's not really an advantage for the boomer to blow up and kill everyone, despite it's possibility of killing it's enemies, because it dies too.

Similarly, creating something you can't tell to attack only the bad guys, is going to be a problem for you and the enemy.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:19 AM   #9
GodBeastX

Quote:
As always with GURPS, don't get too hung up on the name of the ability. Look at the mechanical effects, and see if it's what you want. You can rename things to suit the concept for free.
An ally you cannot give requests/orders to is not an Ally. That's what my point is. The Advantage of Ally is that it lets you create something you can direct and the limitation proposed says "You can direct it with limits". No direction on Ally is effectively -100% as in not an ally. It's like saying "Invisibility, that can't turn you invisible". We've all seen Mystery Men!
Old 10-03-2016, 11:24 AM   #10
Sombreiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
The question is how is it OP? You just created something that is going to eat you too. An example of what I'm talking about is the boomer from Left 4 Dead as statted by GURPS writers. It's not really an advantage for the boomer to blow up and kill everyone, despite it's possibility of killing it's enemies, because it dies too.
There actually is a modifier for that effect, it's a -300% limitation, to be activated with a death trigger, or to die as soon as you use. Don't know where I found it, but it's written on my notepade "Interesting Stuff" hahaha.

Well, it's kind of OP because, even though they can attack you, you have control over it, even though it's only at the start. You spawn them and run away while they are getting up from their graves.

This control over the situation is, IMHO, something strong. And comming for nothing, is kind of TOO strong. I hope I made myself clear, hahaha, sorry.

If there's no RAW info about it, I guess I'll throw a modified Unwilling. Giving it an extra -10%? I guess that would move from Unwilling into Non cooperative, or something like that haha

Tags
ally, custom spell, magic as power