Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-27-2018, 04:13 PM   #41
martinl

Default Re: Cleric Healing and Healing Potions curiosity

Dwarven Bacon

These longitudinally striped strips of fungal matter are not actually bacon, but the original name in dwarvish (~"Fungal Healing Strips"), or its translation into common, is simply not competitive with the sarcastic description that one human bard used all the time.

They are about the size, color, and shape of a strip of bacon, but drier, and usually come sealed in waxed cloth. To use one just unwrap it and rub it on an injury and the healing magic will take effect. Effect is comparable with a healing potion, weight is 10/lb, cost is 10% more (call it even if you have dwarven gear). Folks with low pain threshold need to roll under Will to actually do the rubbing part properly - failure wastes the maneuver.

Using dwarven bacon usually takes three maneuvers - draw, unwrap, then rub. A fast-draw (Dwarven Bacon) roll or a dwarven bacon bandoleer can reduce this by one, and leaving the dwarven bacon unwrapped can save another round.

Dwarven Bacon stores almost forever properly wrapped, but only for a few (2d) hours once opened. This becomes 2d minutes if the dwarven bacon is exposed to sunlight.

Dwarven druids can and sometimes still do make this stuff, but healing potions have mostly replaced dwarven bacon in modern use. Older stores of it are still likely good, and not uncommon in dungeons carved out by dwarves.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:20 PM   #42
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Negative View Post
I know there's no "wrong way" to play, but we were doing this wrong.
Eh, there's really no wrong way. If your group wants to got he Potion/Scroll route then I'd just be prepared to hand out more potions and scrolls (or slightly more loot in general) to handle it... or run straight GURPS Fantasy with DFRPG templates and 'quick-use' rules*.

* Which is how I do it. I run a more 'standard' fantasy game, eschew the 'back to the dungeon' as being nonsense, and just expect the Characters to run away, avoid fights, and do a bit more resting.

Quote:
Plus, some of the DF blogs I have read have groups with few (or no) PC clerics, and are thus pretty dependent upon allies with Healing abilities and potions, so my internal calibration for potion use may have been getting skewed by that too.
Peter's in particular is notorious for his Player's reliance on Healing Stones and Potions (and Spell Stones and Potions in general) due to not having a Cleric in the party. But his group tends to run a high meatshield density and be particularly brutal to the hirelings.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:42 PM   #43
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
Dwarven Bacon
Now I wonder it's properties are if you eat it. Particularly if you eat it sandwich between two slices of Dwarven Battle Bread, err, Trail Rations.

Now we just need Dwarven Lettuce and Dwarven Tomatoes and we can finally have proper Dwarven BLTs.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:25 PM   #44
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

For those who like a little more color and distinction:

Chi Restoration
45 points

You can heal others by adjusting their chi, transferring some of your life energy to them by touching a few pressure points. Use the rules for Faith Healing (Adventurers, p. 21), but with these differences:
  • This healing works on any sapient (IQ 6+), living being.
  • The roll is against the higher of IQ or Pressure Points, plus Chi Talent. The modifiers described for Faith Healing apply normally.
  • The ability is subject the limitations in Chi Abilities (Adventurers, p. 30) instead of those under Holy Abilities (Adventurers, p. 20) – that is, your own chi must be in order.
Nature's Renewal
30 points

You can heal others by channeling Nature's strength into their bodies, "borrowing" a little life force from all around you. Use the rules for Faith Healing (Adventurers, p. 21), but with several important differences:
  • This healing works on anything alive, regardless of behavior!
  • The process requires half an hour, like bandaging (which can be done concurrently), not simply a Concentrate maneuver. Thus, it isn't useful in combat.
  • A healer's kit for Esoteric Medicine (Druidic) is required.
  • The roll is against Esoteric Medicine (Druidic) + Power Investiture (Druidic). The modifiers described for Faith Healing apply normally.
  • The ability is subject the limitations in Druidic Abilities (Adventurers, p. 23) instead of those under Holy Abilities (Adventurers, p. 20). Notably, where Nature is weak, rolls suffer the same penalties as druidic spells.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:07 PM   #45
zuljita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It does mean the MMO-style "I channel healing into the tank" doesn't work, but that's not really a big deal, it's not like anything else in GURPS combat functions much like MMO combat either.
Depends on the tank. I've fielded a 30 HP barbarian with Very Rapid Healing. 4 times healing means a cleric can do some real work with minor heal and something amazing with a major.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:07 PM   #46
zuljita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post

Chi Restoration
45 points

You can heal others by adjusting their chi, transferring some of your life energy to them by touching a few pressure points. Use the rules for Faith Healing (Adventurers, p. 21), but with these differences:
  • This healing works on any sapient (IQ 6+), living being.
  • The roll is against the higher of IQ or Pressure Points, plus Chi Talent. The modifiers described for Faith Healing apply normally.
  • The ability is subject the limitations in Chi Abilities (Adventurers, p. 30) instead of those under Holy Abilities (Adventurers, p. 20) – that is, your own chi must be in order.
Nature's Renewal
30 points

You can heal others by channeling Nature's strength into their bodies, "borrowing" a little life force from all around you. Use the rules for Faith Healing (Adventurers, p. 21), but with several important differences:
  • This healing works on anything alive, regardless of behavior!
  • The process requires half an hour, like bandaging (which can be done concurrently), not simply a Concentrate maneuver. Thus, it isn't useful in combat.
  • A healer's kit for Esoteric Medicine (Druidic) is required.
  • The roll is against Esoteric Medicine (Druidic) + Power Investiture (Druidic). The modifiers described for Faith Healing apply normally.
  • The ability is subject the limitations in Druidic Abilities (Adventurers, p. 23) instead of those under Holy Abilities (Adventurers, p. 20). Notably, where Nature is weak, rolls suffer the same penalties as druidic spells.
This is fantastic, thanks!
Old 03-27-2018, 10:20 PM   #47
ArchonShiva

Quote:
Keep writing those bits in response to problems, decide which ones actually make the game better, and collect that stuff into an official DFRPG supplement. I’d certainly buy it!
Old 03-28-2018, 10:33 AM   #48
Refplace

Quote:
Good writeup, may I suggest another version with the HP cap from GURPS Sorcery?
I may try to figure out the modifiers you used and post that version myself but you already know what you used.
I run a Shaman in a DF game and used Healing but the GM and I agreed it was close to overshadowing the cleric. Adding the cap helped that but still gave us a nice backup healer.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:36 PM   #49
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Any chance we can see this written up over in the GURPS forum with your work shown Mr. Punch?

For I am lazy don't want to have to reverse-engineer them...
Old 03-28-2018, 07:45 PM   #50
zuljita

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
Keep writing those bits in response to problems, decide which ones actually make the game better, and collect that stuff into an official DFRPG supplement. I’d certainly buy it!
Seconded. If you print it (digital counts), I will buy