Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-24-2017, 05:12 PM   #1
Lameth

Default Need Help with Urban Fantasy/Secret magic Item

I am currently running a urban fantasy/secret magic game with heavy elements of hidden history, horror and adventure. A player has come on a sword that in truth is "mystical" according to legend. The sword once belonged to a traveling good hedge knight in France in the 12th century and then it fell into the hands of a potent Russian vampire that had it until his final death in the 15th century by an order of mystical knights in Russia. The sword is of French origin and takes the form of a sabre. The players came on the vampires body and found the sword. The swords name is "First Light" in French.

My question is I don't want it to be blatantly magical [flaming, shoots beams of light, heals the wielder, etc.], but more subtle yet cool. Yes I want it to be a very good craftsmanship [not the best in the world though] but also have a mystical side to it, I just cant decide on the mystical prosperities that fit the world/game. Any help would be great.

Also the knight of that Russian order that ended up taking down the vampire and delivering the death blow was sealed away with the creature in its sarcophagi, locked in an eternal grip with the creature as they both died. On the knight is a pair of very fine Damascus steel arm bracers that I am trying to come up with something cool for as well, any help for a subtle / cool effect on them would be helpful also. The knight was of a order called the Knights of the Black Sky, rumored to be devout of the old faith of Russia and Baba Yaga and able to assume the form of ravens at will, including their items and armor.

As examples of come other items I have created for the game are to give an idea:

A hand chain that contains red "blood diamonds" that store FP that can be used in healing rituals, as well as able to drain others of their life force to replenish the gems.

Chainmail shirt that gives +4 DR verses elemental attacks.

wooden hilt that a long knife come out of from nowhere, and then can disappear back into it at will, and no metal is ever detected.

A flintlock pistol that is inscribed with a holy prayer that does more damage to supernatural.

pack of cigarettes that when lit and smoke blown into the face of another, that persons memory can be altered.

a roll of ducked tap used in vile murders by a serial killer and now when used to tie up another its almost unbreakable, like iron tap.

A quill that writes on its own as you speak to it, but only in French.

Egyptian incense of Thoth that while its inhaled gives major bonuses in learning magic and performing rituals.

Thank you

Last edited by Lameth; 04-25-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:51 PM   #2
Culture20

Default Re: Need Help with Urban Fantasy/Secret Magic Item

Going off the name, perhaps "First Light"
  • Contains a small portion of the light of creation, allowing serendipity (wishing, others-only) and aspected only to things associated with the sword cutting or otherwise interacting with the world
  • or very limited snatcher or matter creation, unconscious and uncontrollable: if an item is needed but unavailable, it can be found resting on the sword's scabbard, hanging off the hilt, etc.
  • or generates sunlight, but only within a body. Useless except to insta-kill vamps (and why the other vampire might have owned it)
  • increases basic speed/move for purposes of turn order.
  • gives a bonus to fast draw (Sword named First Light)
  • does something cool if used as a prayer focus at dawn
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:59 PM   #3
robkelk
Untitled

Perhaps a more metaphysical illumination is what's being referred to, and the sword gives a bonus to the Evaluate maneuver?
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:49 PM   #4
mikeejimbo

Perhaps the sword gives Higher Purpose (Slay Supernatural Evil)?
mikeejimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:52 PM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameth View Post
The sword is of French origin and takes the form of a sabre. The players came on the vampires body and found the sword. The swords name is "First Light" in French.
If told this as a player I would be convinced it was not true as sabres are all wrong for 12th Century France. That's the high period of the "arming sword" or classical Gurps Thrusting Broadsword.

12th Century would be pretty early for any European sabre and would need to have come from the East perhaps Hungary or even (wait for it) Transylvania.

It could have picked up a French inscription after it was made.

As perhaps a more useful suggestion the sword could have belonged to the founder of a vampire-fighting knightly order as "First Light" equals "Dawn" which is doom for vampires. It could now act as the component for ritual summoning of his spirit and revelation of secret info or it could grant some bonus or blessing to those who swear to fight vampires on the blade.

Something as simple as the "Covenant of Rest" Perk would be useful meaning that undead slain by the blade would remain dead.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #6
Lameth

Thank you all.

But I was more looking for "non-vampire" inspired ideas for the blade. And also, any ideas for the bracers?
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:18 PM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The ability to see in the (near?)dark would be interesting. Subtle, yet useful and concrete.

A bonus to quick draw would be interesting, playing on the "first" part of its name.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:05 PM   #8
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
If told this as a player I would be convinced it was not true as sabres are all wrong for 12th Century France. That's the high period of the "arming sword" or classical Gurps Thrusting Broadsword.

12th Century would be pretty early for any European sabre and would need to have come from the East perhaps Hungary or even (wait for it) Transylvania.
Could be a Seljuk sword, brought West by a crusader, and subsequently engraved (as part gaving it magical properties?).

Perhaps the sword becomes stronger during morning twilight, or is restored when touched by the first rays of sunrise.