Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #21
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Innate attack skill questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
Ok, so is this reneging on Projectiles being from the hands? Would spears from my eyes fit under Projectile instead of Gaze now?
It's pretty much saying the difference is continuous beam vs single shot.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #22
Psychotime

I know that this topic is extremely miniscule and easy to either handwave or just run with, but I'm having fun discussing it.

I'll try to make an example. Say a player wants to make a basic Dragonball type of character that shoots energy blasts from their hands and all that. We make two attacks, a Kamehameha and a typical Ki Blast as an alternate attack. The former would run on Beam and the latter on Projectile. Now the GM has to explain the difference to the player and why these similar attacks (in the player's mind) need two skills and default to each other at -2.

Maybe the group are just odd for all thinking the same thing and most people WOULD see them differently?

I don't know, maybe most people CAN see enough difference between a Kamehameha and a Hadouken to warrant two different skills to aim them.

Are there just unspoken rules that are supposed to be assumed from those descriptions, and they're just flying over my head?

Last edited by Psychotime; 09-20-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Psychotime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #23
Nereidalbel

The difference between Kamehameha and Hadouken is pretty simple. Hadouken is a ball of energy that you fire and forget (or watch the pretty explosion), while Kamehameha is a constant beam that remains connected to you until it strikes somebody (or something).
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #24
Psychotime

And I repeat again, the rules as written don't say there's that same kind of difference if the attack came from the mouth or eyes.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #25
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
And I repeat again, the rules as written don't say there's that same kind of difference if the attack came from the mouth or eyes.
It's a special effect. They are all Easy skills that default generously anyway (and with perks like Gazer or Pyschic Guidance get even more pointless). Just pick one and stick with it.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gunslinger, innate attack, targeted attacks