Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Need Help With Unique Damage Limitation

I need a limitation for an Innate Attack that I'm working on. It's a fatigue attack. The point is that it will slowly drain the subject's fatigue for as long as the user makes contact (kind of like Leech but they don't get anything from it). However, I would like it so if the attack doesn't take them down to -1*fatigue then they don't actually lose fatigue. So, unless the attack actually manages to force them unconscious by putting them at - 1*fatigue then it doesn't actually do fatigue damage. So... It's kind of an all-or-nothing limitation.

I think it fits, but I have no idea of how to price something like this. Any help, advice, or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
kdtipa

Default Re: Need Help With Unique Damage Limitation

If the attack drains fatigue slowly over time, how do you know if the attack is going to drain them completely? Can it be interrupted? If it's interrupted does the target get the fatigue lost "so far" back?
kdtipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
CoyoteGestalt

So, is the idea that turn by turn it essentially drains "virtual" Fatigue, that you track but don't deduct from the character sheet of the victim, and when that virtual Fatigue total reaches -1*FP the whole effect hits the victim "for real" at once?
CoyoteGestalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
gilbertocarlos

Inatte Attack 8d(Fatigue)(Takes Extra time 5).

Edit: A cheaper way is: Affliction(Unconsciousness)(Takes Extra Time 5)
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtipa View Post
If the attack drains fatigue slowly over time, how do you know if the attack is going to drain them completely? Can it be interrupted? If it's interrupted does the target get the fatigue lost "so far" back?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteGestalt View Post
So, is the idea that turn by turn it essentially drains "virtual" Fatigue, that you track but don't deduct from the character sheet of the victim, and when that virtual Fatigue total reaches -1*FP the whole effect hits the victim "for real" at once?
It's a mix of both ideas. It's drains "virtual" Fatigue. It can be interrupted. If so, they get the fatigue back. So it only ever works if the attack lasts long enough to hit them "for real" when the "virtual" Fatigue is drained.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
Anaraxes

My thought was just to use Takes Extra Time as well. The fact that you're "draining virtual fatigue" is color, particularly since it all comes back if the attacker is interrupted. Mechanically, the user has to maintain contact for a while, and then -- all at once -- the subject is at -FP. But there's no intermediate effect, just the attacker standing there.

In theory, it could be a variable amount of Extra Time, but I'd just price it at the expected median.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fatigue, innate attack, leech, limitation, unconscious