Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:50 PM   #1
wolf90

Default Sooo . . .What do you want?

Hi, everyone! Time for some more market research!

As I will soon embark for Origins, I thought I might stir up a little conversation and food-for-thought that I might further explore with those of you who will be at the convention as well as on the forums. Quite simply, what else would you like to see for Ogre?

This is truly as simple (and complex!) a question as it sounds. What do you want? Your responses can be as free-ranging and way-out-there as you wish. There are no ground rules, just a discussion as to what you might want to see (and in turn, would support). Obviously, the logistics of making a fully functioning Ogre are likely prohibitive from anyone seeing one anytime soon, but that doesn't mean you can't suggest it!

As a starting point, let me remind everyone what is already promised and what you will see in the (relatively) near future:
  • A Kickstarter for a Mark VI and an Ogre-to-be-determined-by-survey. (Everyone has completed the survey, yes? If not, please take a moment to do so!)
  • Battlefields - The expansion set containing LADs, Engineers, Vulcans, Ninja, maps G3 & S3, and more. See October 2, 2017 Ogre News entry for more detail.
  • Nightfall - a campaign of linked scenarios focused on the Nightfall Counter Set.
  • Although not a given, the Combine sculpts similar in nature to Ogre Miniatures Set 1 and Set 2 are under strong consideration.
Now, I have all sorts of ideas that I think it would be fun to pursue, many from my own warped imagination and some already suggested by you. But they are just that - my ideas. I want to know your desires for the game.

So please, use this thread to brainstorm what you'd like to see for the game. Feel free to discuss each other's ideas, both pro and con, (cons are important!). Just be respectful of each other (as you always are!).

Sooo . . . what do you want?

D.

PS - I am running an identical thread over on BGG. Feel free to engage in conversation on both threads.

D.

PPS - No promises on anything! <grin> But let's see where we go . . .

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.

Last edited by wolf90; 06-12-2018 at 10:00 PM.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:59 PM   #2
Mack_JB

Default Re: Sooo . . .What do you want?

Lifted from my post on BGG:

I suppose eventually it would be nice to see counters and art for the actual Nihon, Chinese, Israeli, etc. other faction Ogres and regular units. 6E size and quality, as we expect from SJG.

I'd really like to see a neoprene playmat of the orange map, for use with the minis, so a larger hex size, but I also know it would be pricey and perhaps not sell as well.

I really want plastic minis for set #3 and #4, but can wait patiently.

Beyond that, everyone at SJG is doing a superb job and making me a happy long time fan of Ogre.

As an addendum, I am tickled pink every time I see SJ himself reply in an Ogre thread. Never met the man, but glad he is who he is.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:53 PM   #3
ColBosch

I'll let Mr. Mercury speak for me on this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFDcoX7s6rE

I want, in rough chronological order:

1. All the stuff you're working on already.
2. Yearly Ogrezines
3. Combine "basic" miniatures in plastic
4. Combine "advanced" miniatures in plastic
5. All remaining previously-produced miniatures in plastic, including buildings
6. New art and miniatures for other factions: Nihon, China, Israel, Brazil.
7. Material supporting the Factory States era. Written by me. :D
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:00 AM   #4
Izzy_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
I'd really like to see a neoprene playmat of the orange map, for use with the minis, so a larger hex size, but I also know it would be pricey and perhaps not sell as well.
I have a Chessex 1.5" hex mat which I sometimes use. Since you arent supposed to fold these, my only storage option is keeping it rolled up in a big plastic art/poster tube. While the 6#/DE map is smaller, still it would require being stored rolled up somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
1. All the stuff you're working on already.
2. Yearly Ogrezines
3. Combine "basic" miniatures in plastic
4. Combine "advanced" miniatures in plastic
Agreed on all these.

Personally I'm not enthusiastic about other power bloc's Ogres but am enthusiastic for the re-boot of Battlefields. With the DE and all the sponsored set counter sheets we really have enough different Ogres as is. Plus with the Asian blocs, what can be different enough design wise without venturing into blatant Orientalism and stereotypes?

Also I have my own well established issues about the Israeli Ogre... But I won't get into that again here.

The only thing I can think of right now that hasn't already been done or proposed would be a reboot of Battlesuit but I also realize that such a game wouldn't particularly stand out from other unit level games except for the setting and might not generate the sales to be worth considering as a separate SKU.
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:32 AM   #5
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy_B View Post
The only thing I can think of right now that hasn't already been done or proposed would be a reboot of Battlesuit . . .
If we ever do this, I'd love to work with my buddy Matt to use his Glyos joint and use small action figures instead of counters. We could create Battlesuit action figures.

http://onelldesign.com/
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:46 AM   #6
cedric18

Bigger scenarios. Body Blow revisited!

Strategic rules.
cedric18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:58 AM   #7
shantke

The stuff promised would be nice.

Battlesuit with 28mm plastic minis would be cool.

Battlesuit with Action Figures would be awesome.

Ogre miniatures #3 and #4 are a must!

Ogre Miniatures everything in plastic that was once metal, all the Ogres, buildings, Ogrethulu, Spawn, craters, bridges, lasers, and any gaps in the metal line. Anything with stats that didn't have a mini and Iron Mountain special units need to be done in plastic.

Did I mention more plastic minis!

I'll say MORE plastic minis again, just to be sure!

A second run of Glow in the Dark Ogre dice.

More Ogre ODE style maps, like Iron Mountain and Icepick. Even if only as a pdf that could be printed by the customer. All the maps up to the new standard.

A second set of classic counters with units missing from the first set. Especially any counters that were on the small counter sheets that came with the pocket games.

A pocket version of GEV.

Ogre Macrotures- Resin would be sweet, but more realistic would be to hollow out the 3d models and sell them through Shapeways Or maybe Kickstart each unit as a plastic model kit.

In closing, MORE plastic minis!
shantke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:00 AM   #8
shantke

I'll second a Last War strategic game, even if was as simple as Axis & Allies. It would be nice if was a good Campaign generator as well.
shantke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:23 AM   #9
Izzy_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
If we ever do this, I'd love to work with my buddy Matt to use his Glyos joint and use small action figures instead of counters. We could create Battlesuit action figures.

http://onelldesign.com/
You may not have connected me here to me on Twitter but I share some of your enthusiasm in this area. Micronauts Battlesuit maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantke View Post
The stuff promised would be nice.

Battlesuit with 28mm plastic minis would be cool.

Battlesuit with Action Figures would be awesome.
Mashup between Evil Stevie's Pirate Game and Brick Wars to do Battlesuit with Lego minifigs and Lego armored vehicles!
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:38 AM   #10
Desert Scribe

Pocket GEV, with the understanding that it will retail for around $15. Go minimalist like with Pocket Ogre: Two-tone counters and a paper map with zip-a-tone markings, as discussed elsewhere on this forum. If you're not sure about the numbers, offer it as a game-only Kickstarter (no stretch goals) like Triplanetary.