Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-29-2014, 07:04 AM   #41
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: [TG] Innate Attack Enchancement: Inflicts CPs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Would you allow full damage and full CP at the same time or would you reduce damage and CP down to thr, instead of thr(+1/die)?
A basic ability that grapples and strikes at once should probably resemble, as a starting point, a bite: thr-1 CP and damage, which can be resolved in one roll if you choose, or two if you like the variability. You'd buy it up from there.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:07 AM   #42
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Would you allow full damage and full CP at the same time or would you reduce damage and CP down to thr, instead of thr(+1/die)?
Full damage, certainly that is already included in both advantages.
Half ST for the 5pt level (bite) and two handed ST for the 10 point level might be too much but I would allow it. Constriction Attack does more and it is 15 points.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:15 PM   #43
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
A basic ability that grapples and strikes at once should probably resemble, as a starting point, a bite: thr-1 CP and damage, which can be resolved in one roll if you choose, or two if you like the variability. You'd buy it up from there.
Extra Mouth [5] gets you another bite. Going by the Technique Default Design System or Striking ST (One Attack Only -60%), buying off the -1 to damage is 3-4 points. Buying off the -1 to CP is another 2 points, using Lifting ST (Grip ST -70%).

Not coincidentally, this matches the cost of Gripping Striker [10], which does thr cr and thr CP. However, since Bite ST is equal to full ST, that construction would do too much CP. I think it's more-or-less fair to trade the benefit inherent in crushing Striker [5], i.e. +1/die and treated as a weapon, for the ability to grapple at full ST instead of Grip ST x0.5, as that is equivalent to Extra Arm (Only to add an arm to grapple -50%) [5].

Making it cutting instead of crushing is 2 extra points, like Striker. And for an extra +5, your Gripping Striker grapples at full ST, as well as making a thr(+1/die) damaging attack.

Seems to fit pretty well in terms of point cost.

The alternative would be adding a Technique built around a Rapid Strike [7] and the Clinch Perk [1] to the Striker, which results in a price of crushing Gripping Striker [15] and [20] for the full-ST version.

Last edited by Icelander; 01-29-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
innate attack, technical grappling