Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
Engurrand

Default Innate Attack: One big kablooy.

I have an innate attack in mind but I'm not sure how to model it.

I'm imagining an innate attack which can do 15 dice of crushing damage before having to reload (that part's easy), however, you can do the 15d in one big attack, or in 15 separate attack actions each for 1d damage, or any variation of numbers adding up to 15d of damage. Once the 15d threshold is reached, the ability requires reload.

The trick is, these aren't shots: if you chose to attack with 5 dice of damage, you're throwing one 5d attack at them, not 5 1d attacks (and you can do that three times before you have to reload).

So how do I do that? Is there a modifier somewhere I've overlooked? Thanks for your time!

(P.S. Surely this has come up before, but I wasn't sure what to search for. Sorry if it's an old question.)
Engurrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
Engurrand

Default Re: Innate Attack: One big kablooy.

If it matters, you can imagine this as a force projection weapon that stores up kinetic energy and uses magic or super-science to project it as force orbs of selectable size/energy.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
aesir23

An Energy Reserve might be a way to do this.

If you buy an Energy Reserve of 15 points, and then charge a variable fatigue Cost of 1 point/Die of Damage you get the mechanical effect you are looking for.

After 15 total dice of damage, the energy reserve is empty and must be recharged.

Simply take a limitation on the ER that states that it doesn't recharge unless it's empty, and once it's empty it can't be used again until it's full (or something). I'm not really sure what this would be worth, but it may just be a case of Special Recharge Required (-70%).
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
Engurrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post

If you buy an Energy Reserve of 15 points, and then charge a variable fatigue Cost of 1 point/Die of Damage you get the mechanical effect you are looking for.

After 15 total dice of damage, the energy reserve is empty and must be recharged.

Simply take a limitation on the ER that states that it doesn't recharge unless it's empty, and once it's empty it can't be used again until it's full (or something). I'm not really sure what this would be worth, but it may just be a case of Special Recharge Required (-70%).
Well that's completely reasonable!
I was mucking about with rapid fire and very rapid fire, and some kind of multiple projectiles to slug enhancement, which felt like the wrong tree.

Thank you sir.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post

This would be my recommendation as well.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:54 AM   #6
Last Pawn

For another way to go about it I'd recommend buying fifteen 1d attacks (modified for Requires Reload and whatever else), all with Link (Characters, pg. 106) at 20%. Then you can use as many of the single attacks in one go as you want to.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:29 AM   #7
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Pawn View Post
For another way to go about it I'd recommend buying fifteen 1d attacks (modified for Requires Reload and whatever else), all with Link (Characters, pg. 106) at 20%. Then you can use as many of the single attacks in one go as you want to.
That emulates Rapid Fire, meaning DR 6 will block all 15 dice of damage. as it's 15 1d shots going off at the same time, not one 15d.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help me out here, innate attack, raw