Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-06-2019, 09:20 AM   #51
Luke Bunyip

Default Re: Curious Local Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Museums rent expensive pieces from rich patrons. Purchasing art objects is a way to store money (come to think of it they may actually do that but whatever).
A mate that's a professional artist recently said to me that given that the value of a particular art work is periodically determined by a group of rich people (aka an auction), artwork is effectively an alternative currency.

But the frisson between private wealth and popular acclaim could give some basis for a culturally specific quirk. Maybe something along the lines of the social or political benefits of lending one's artwork to a museum, as opposed to keeping it secured in a vault.

...and then the iconoclasts turn up.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:11 AM   #52
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
We already have the expression in English- "to wear different hats," or "I'm wearing my lawyer's hat today." Although I'm not clear on what historical customs it refers to.
Sure. I don't know about that either. I am proposing a culture where that has an unusual significance.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:13 AM   #53
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
A mate that's a professional artist recently said to me that given that the value of a particular art work is periodically determined by a group of rich people (aka an auction), artwork is effectively an alternative currency.

But the frisson between private wealth and popular acclaim could give some basis for a culturally specific quirk. Maybe something along the lines of the social or political benefits of lending one's artwork to a museum, as opposed to keeping it secured in a vault.

...and then the iconoclasts turn up.
Old money tends to like to buy prestige rather than buying money; that is why they run out and have to do that cliche of Marrying A Railroader's Daughter Across the Pond. Having them lease and the cost be passed on to donators or ticket sales is a way to take a third option.

As a side note it is a way of "ennobleing" money gotten from a mundane sourse. Thus instead of putting it in a bank where it just gets-more money, he gets an income out of art and art is cool. It is really a similar idea to the idea of buying lots and lots of fancy jewelry and just wearing your wealth but having something to liquidate if there is a pogram and you have to go on the run. And in the meantime having something to wear to a ball. Except in the case I describe, while it is sitting there it is actually taking in money.

Last edited by jason taylor; 09-06-2019 at 10:22 AM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:25 AM   #54
David Johnston2

Everyone except the lowest level of society wears a custom-designed mask when out in public. And the lowest level just wear a bandanna to cover their lower face. Going bare-faced is an act of great intimacy or indecency.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:37 AM   #55
Apollonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Everyone except the lowest level of society wears a custom-designed mask when out in public. And the lowest level just wear a bandanna to cover their lower face. Going bare-faced is an act of great intimacy or indecency.
Corollary: The registry of masks is a massively sacred place.
Apollonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:59 AM   #56
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
Corollary: The registry of masks is a massively sacred place.
Both of those are actually pretty good.

Some other corollaries:

There is a Mystery Religion where masks are opened.

Masks are taken on in a Rite of Passage. The design is discovered after a Vision Quest.

When a deed is performed a badge is placed on the mask.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:28 PM   #57
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

How do people who constantly wear masks over their lower faces eat, especially in public? dinners have been a form of socialization of millennia. Though I suppose splitting up by gender could work, if its a modesty thing.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 09-06-2019 at 12:31 PM.
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:36 PM   #58
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
How do people who constantly wear masks over their lower faces eat, especially in public? dinners have been a form of socialization of millennia. Though I suppose splitting up by gender could work, if its a modesty thing.
That's one possibility. Or the mask could leave the nose and lower face open.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:09 PM   #59
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Two possibilities are suggested by works of Jack Vance. In The Moon Moth people of the mask-wearing class (i.e. not slaves) ate alone except as a very initimate romantic thing. In Marune (which had a taboo on ingestion rather than facial exposure, but is still suggestive) people ate alone for convenience, but for social meals they put food into their mouths behind screens or fans.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:59 PM   #60
Flyndaran
Untagged

Couldn't they just have a nasal bridge that allowed them to be bent creating a gap between face and mask? That should create enough of a space to put eating utensils under and through.
We cover our lower faces when we need to talk with food in our mouths, after all.