Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-17-2022, 11:57 PM   #11
Balor Patch

Default Re: 2 Unrelated questions: druid living expense and readying

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
My Wizard/Scout usually sleeps on the highest rooftop in my area if it's impractical to sleep outside of town altogether.
That sounds like a Survival role to avoid the $150/wk, specifically Urban Survival.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 12:54 AM   #12
Polkageist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
That sounds like a Survival role to avoid the $150/wk, specifically Urban Survival.
That $150/wk is also all the little incidental expenses that stack up that aren't just a room cost. Full meals, snacks, social beverages (not just beers, coffee & tea too), mending clothes, a coin in the beggar's bowl, paying a guide, tipping the bard in the tavern, a ride across town, laundry, bathing, restocking on toiletries and other minor consumables, getting a haircut, gate fees, guild dues, the occasional petty bribe, and on, and on, and on. All the little exchanges of goods and services that would be a pain to account for in detail but cover enough stuff that all but the most antisocial mud-crusted druid is going to engage with.

So even though Mr. Campsite is saving on a room because they don't sleep indoors or whatever, it comes out as a wash and they'll need to pony up the same weekly upkeep.
Polkageist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 06:58 AM   #13
JulianLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkageist View Post
That $150/wk is also all the little incidental expenses that stack up that aren't just a room cost. Full meals, snacks, social beverages (not just beers, coffee & tea too), mending clothes, a coin in the beggar's bowl, paying a guide, tipping the bard in the tavern, a ride across town, laundry, bathing, restocking on toiletries and other minor consumables, getting a haircut, gate fees, guild dues, the occasional petty bribe, and on, and on, and on. All the little exchanges of goods and services that would be a pain to account for in detail but cover enough stuff that all but the most antisocial mud-crusted druid is going to engage with.

So even though Mr. Campsite is saving on a room because they don't sleep indoors or whatever, it comes out as a wash and they'll need to pony up the same weekly upkeep.
See "Cost of Living" in DFRPG Adventurers 96.
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 04:29 PM   #14
corwyn

Quote:
Yeah, I know; I was just reinforcing the earlier post. Although I don't have Urban Survival, so I guess it's outside of town for me.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 04:33 PM   #15
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkageist View Post
Survival satisfies food and drink, Armoury/Leatherworking takes care of clothing, I have no money for the poor, My 18 Navigation says I am the guide, I can bathe in the river, what guild? I don't need to travel across town if I'm not in town, and who am i bribing/paying for services while I live outside of the gates of civilization?

Old 09-19-2022, 05:17 AM   #16
Balor Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
Survival satisfies food and drink, Armoury/Leatherworking takes care of clothing, I have no money for the poor, My 18 Navigation says I am the guide, I can bathe in the river, what guild? I don't need to travel across town if I'm not in town, and who am i bribing/paying for services while I live outside of the gates of civilization?
Wine, women, song, and exotic herbal teas are expensive. Man does not live by shinier weapons alone. If he's not spending loot then why is he doing dangerous stuff to get it?
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 05:27 AM   #17
corwyn

Quote:
Wine, women, song, and exotic herbal teas are expensive. Man does not live by shinier weapons alone. If he's not spending loot then why is he doing dangerous stuff to get it?
When I spend loot it's to get better weapons or armour. Let "civilized" plebes spend their money on debauchery. Did I mention she's mostly celibate with No Sense of Humour? Oh, and she does dangerous stuff keep the "civilized" heroes from getting themselves killed before we save the world.

Old 09-19-2022, 08:15 AM   #18
Polkageist

antisocial mud-crusted druid spotted :D
Polkageist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 01:45 PM   #19
Dalin

For such a hardcore druid, I might just call it a druidic fee (or voluntary tithe) to the local circle of druids. But, if I were GM, I would just ask the player to come up with a rationale for it or pay character points for an advantage that exempts them from the usual cost of living. I don't know if there is anything canonical in the wider GURPS library for such an advantage, but I'm sure we could come up with something fair.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 07:13 AM   #20
benz72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
For such a hardcore druid, I might just call it a druidic fee (or voluntary tithe) to the local circle of druids. But, if I were GM, I would just ask the player to come up with a rationale for it or pay character points for an advantage that exempts them from the usual cost of living. I don't know if there is anything canonical in the wider GURPS library for such an advantage, but I'm sure we could come up with something fair.
Just take the point value for an equivalent amount of Independent Income or Claim to Hospitality and relabel it as Self-Sufficient or At Home in Nature.