Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-29-2020, 11:04 AM   #21
Plane

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Hard to Kill and Hard to Subdue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Even a minor superhero can have remarkable recovery time. No Visible Damage [1], Regeneration (Fast; Super, -10%; Unkillable Only, -40%) [25], and Unkillable 3 (Achilles Heel, Fire, -50%; Hindrance, Oak, -15%; Trigger, Darkness, -5%) [30] gives you a super who, for only 56 CP, comes back from the dead at full health around two hours after they die unless they were killed by fire, staked by oak, or kept in constant light. In fact, that would work for many vampires.
UK2 is the standard used for vamps in Basic, is UK3 a typo?

Even though B95 doesn't explicitly forbid it, it feels off to allow Hindrance w/ UK3 since I thought it meant your body could vanish... meaning there would be nothing left behind to be staked... like how does an "incorporeal form" keep a stake in it?

I guess you could consider the body "where it fell" until fully healed ("coalesce in a location" only happens at full HP) meaning you could bathe it in light to prevent it's trigger (darkness) from healing.

Horror 74 has trigger: ritual for UK3 which makes me wonder if to raise an Ancient One you actually have to find wherever it last died and perform the ritual there, or just perform a ritual ANYWHERE.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:51 AM   #22
AlexanderHowl

Hindrance pretty much means that the body does not disappear, as that it part of the recovery process (a vampire turning to dust when a stake is removed would be an example of UK3).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:20 PM   #23
transmetahuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I had one theoretical situation relevant to these Ads come up in the World of D'y'r't campaign.

I even made a thread about it here. I thought the title was something like "A subtle question of Luck and death" but the Forum search is unhelpful and Google doesn't know that one either. (snip)
Found it: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=38631
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:36 PM   #24
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
UK2 is the standard used for vamps in Basic, is UK3 a typo?
Well, it was priced as UK2 (base cost 100), so either it's a typo, or a mistake in the maths and the power should cost 71 points.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:43 PM   #25
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Hindrance pretty much means that the body does not disappear, as that it part of the recovery process (a vampire turning to dust when a stake is removed would be an example of UK3).
I can remember vamps turning to dust when staked I think in Buffy the Vampire Slayer just as a special effect of their death (I remember a 'doesn't leave a corpse' feature or perk was in a GURPS book but forget the name)

Can't really think of an example where an unstaked vamp became dust than reformed...

It sounds ilke with UK3 wording you don't even reappear elsewhere until you go from 99% HP to 100% HP too, so until then your untrappable unharmable unconscious ghost might just linger wherever it was you dropped, similar to UK2 except it can't be harmed until it reforms, whereas UK2 can be constantly harmed while it heals.
Old 11-29-2020, 03:04 PM   #26
AlexanderHowl

Terry Pratchett's Discworld pretty much had vampires coming back from everything except for being eaten by a cat. Being dusted was a minor inconvenience to Discworld vampires, as they could just recover with a drop of blood.
Old 11-29-2020, 03:06 PM   #27
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Well, it was priced as UK2 (base cost 100), so either it's a typo, or a mistake in the maths and the power should cost 71 points.
good point I forgot to check the total :)
Old 11-29-2020, 03:11 PM   #28
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Sorry, forgot to include Super, -10% in UK3, so the price is valid. I will correct it.
Old 11-29-2020, 04:26 PM   #29
Rupert

Even so, the darkness trigger means they don't come back two hours after dying, but more usually about two hours after sundown/the lights were turned off. Up until there's darkness they're a corpse (and as it's a -10xHP corpse, probably a pretty ugly one), and then they disappear, reappearing fully healed at their 'spawn point'. It's a nice effect, but as fire's a fairly common hazard and attack I don't know that their career would be terribly long.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:09 PM   #30
AlexanderHowl

The fact that they are immune to death by anything else is pretty good. In addition, darkness is not night, so they would start to recover when a room becomes dark (great for a dungeon).

Tags
advantage of the week, hard to kill, hard to subdue