Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-29-2016, 06:56 PM   #131
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: bending stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
On that train of thought, someone well below average intelligence who loves reading books.
My best friend learned how to read in her 20s. She's slow, but tries much harder than lazy me ever could.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:57 PM   #132
Flyndaran
Untagged

My housemate is an odd one in that she is obsessed with zombie and horror movies but in real life is full on Gurps Squeamish.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:22 PM   #133
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
My housemate is an odd one in that she is obsessed with zombie and horror movies but in real life is full on Gurps Squeamish.
That's not odd. In order to find horror movies really appealing they have to touch something visceral in you. If they don't stir up a bit of fear and or disgust (but not too much) in the viewer, they're probably going to seem just tedious.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:00 PM   #134
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
That's not odd. In order to find horror movies really appealing they have to touch something visceral in you. If they don't stir up a bit of fear and or disgust (but not too much) in the viewer, they're probably going to seem just tedious.
I never had a taste for horror myself.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:09 PM   #135
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
I never had a taste for horror myself.
Me too, but because I'm a giant major chicken with anxiety issues. It's either not scary or ARRGH! run away from the TV, with no real in between.

It's that she gets nauseated when I simply mention I'm about to check my blood sugar because of the tiny stick. Just an oddity, as well as being the first person I've ever met that perfectly epitomizes Phobia: Squeamish.
I'm not sure I would accept her without at least a raised eyebrow if she were a written up PC.
I do think it is a stereotype for the horror nut to be a lover of grossness in reality.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:22 PM   #136
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Me too, but because I'm a giant major chicken with anxiety issues. It's either not scary or ARRGH! run away from the TV, with no real in between.

It's that she gets nauseated when I simply mention I'm about to check my blood sugar because of the tiny stick. Just an oddity, as well as being the first person I've ever met that perfectly epitomizes Phobia: Squeamish.
I'm not sure I would accept her without at least a raised eyebrow if she were a written up PC.
I do think it is a stereotype for the horror nut to be a lover of grossness in reality.
Well I am a bit fastidious in a lot of things some more then others(I almost morbidly hate having unwashed hands for instance). Also, while I won't say I don't have a sadistic streak buried down there somewhere(given my taste for mildly dark humor I probably do), nonetheless a whole movie about the characters doing nothing but suffering helplessly does not attract me.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:24 PM   #137
jason taylor

A big macho all-american country boy whose animal best friend is-a cat.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:28 PM   #138
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
A big macho all-american country boy whose animal best friend is-a cat.
Not far enough as every grain farmer could use a good mouser.
You need an animal devoid of classic masculinity like our chihuahua mix. Adorable at times, but annoyingly yappy the other 23.4 hours a day. ;)
Old 09-29-2016, 11:57 PM   #139
RyanW

I guess not exactly bending a stereotype, but certainly a bit different: I once had a JSDF unmanned orbital patrol craft which had an AI that used as its visual avatar an elderly Japanese woman tending a vegetable garden.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #140
Johan Larson

A work of art that celebrates following convention or the guidance of your elders rather than youthful dreams.

A work of art the celebrates unity of background or purpose rather than diversity.
Johan Larson is offline   Reply With Quote