Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-15-2020, 06:29 PM   #1
cvannrederode

Default [Space] Question on Low TL prices in High TL societies.

So I'm looking at a space settings with the following things:

Society recovering from a "long-night".
The center of the campaign being a city on a Ceres sized body (with artificial gravity) -- "Tython".
The inclusion of Alardin (or something based heavily on it) from Space Atlas 4.

Now Alardin is listed as TL 4(10), but in my campaign it would end up as TL 4 at the edge of 5, with a TL 9 walled start town.

My question is this...with the economy of Tython self-sufficient but lacking in certain things, how would that affect the prices of TL 4 luxury items that would be impractical for a TL 9 space colony to produce? I'm thinking things like natural fabrics, wood and leather, and food that isn't grown in a vat. Travel times would be 2-3 weeks, but it's still not economical to lift massive amounts of things into orbit.

I know that RAW state that a TL 4 item is the same cost at TL 9 as it was at introduction, but that doesn't take into account things like a closed-environment space habitat not being able to raise sheep or grow trees.
cvannrederode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:43 PM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: [Space] Question on Low TL prices in High TL societies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvannrederode View Post
I know that RAW state that a TL 4 item is the same cost at TL 9 as it was at introduction, but that doesn't take into account things like a closed-environment space habitat not being able to raise sheep or grow trees.
No, but it does make the TL9 people 15x richer. Low TL items are very cheap to them.

If they can't economically produce something themselves they spend their time and energy on something more lucrative and trade for the difficult to produce items.

Example: it would be extremely difficult for the people of Minnesota to produce their own coconuts. So they don't. They buy their coconuts from somewhere they are cheap and a hypothetical cost to produce coconuts locally doesn't matter. Just the other people's costs and the shipping expenses.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:30 PM   #3
AlexanderHowl

Since they can sell TL9 equipment for 32x to a TL4 society, they have massive advantages coming and going. For example, a superfine shortsword might cost them $1200, but they could sell it to a TL4 noble for $38,400. They could then use that money to purchase goods for export to the TL9 society, which they would use to purchase two superfine shortswords, pocketing the remaining $36,000. Rinse, wash, repeat.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:54 PM   #4
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Since they can sell TL9 equipment for 32x to a TL4 society, they have massive advantages coming and going. For example, a superfine shortsword might cost them $1200, but they could sell it to a TL4 noble for $38,400. They could then use that money to purchase goods for export to the TL9 society, which they would use to purchase two superfine shortswords, pocketing the remaining $36,000. Rinse, wash, repeat.
<waves hand dismissively> That's a short duration stunt for an individual opportunist. The market among low TL nobles for superfine shortswords might well have filled up before they finish their second cycle. Besides, I think you did the math wrong. Superfine weapons are 6x Basic prices. For shortswords that'd be $2400.

You need something unquestionaly useful to many low TL people but also affordable. Cigarette lighters might be a decent choice.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:55 PM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvannrederode View Post
So I'm looking at a space settings with the following things:

Society recovering from a "long-night".
The center of the campaign being a city on a Ceres sized body (with artificial gravity) -- "Tython".
The inclusion of Alardin (or something based heavily on it) from Space Atlas 4.

Now Alardin is listed as TL 4(10), but in my campaign it would end up as TL 4 at the edge of 5, with a TL 9 walled start town.

My question is this...with the economy of Tython self-sufficient but lacking in certain things, how would that affect the prices of TL 4 luxury items that would be impractical for a TL 9 space colony to produce? I'm thinking things like natural fabrics, wood and leather, and food that isn't grown in a vat. Travel times would be 2-3 weeks, but it's still not economical to lift massive amounts of things into orbit.

It's a Non-Agricultural world trading with a Non-Industrial world.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:34 AM   #6
TGLS

Could go the British route and sell them narcotics.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:10 AM   #7
cvannrederode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
It's a Non-Agricultural world trading with a Non-Industrial world.
I would list the Ceres type planet both Non-Agricultural and Extreme. Which puts a +4 modifier (which outside of rolling all the time can just be read as a +40%) to Grain, Fruit, and Meat. The other world is agricultural (in addition to being Ni), which gives it a -2 on each of those. Wood/Paper has a total +8, but is kinda cheap.

So on average, those three cargo categories have a 60% price delta between the two planets.

Thanks for the reminder to look in Spaceships 2.

Last edited by cvannrederode; 09-16-2020 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:28 AM   #8
cvannrederode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Could go the British route and sell them narcotics.
Narcotics are $2,000,000 a ton, but only have a +2 to price and are available in small lots only....although as I read the rules...if they'll illegal where you're trying to sell them, you get another +4 to price.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:45 AM   #9
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The low-tech world probably counts as Poor, which drops the price on everything there by 2. It also drops the cost on art/antiques by 2.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:01 AM   #10
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The low-tech world probably counts as Poor, which drops the price on everything there by 2. It also drops the cost on art/antiques by 2.
You're right. So it would be Extreme and Non Agricultural versus Poor and Agricultural.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
space