Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 07-04-2017, 06:39 PM   #11
MHLouviere

Default Re: Private Game for Jericho Group - Zombie Apocalypse [IC]

Just as Sam let go of Kai’s hug, she heard Mike’s familiar voice behind her. She turned and placed her arm around his back, leaning the side of her head to his. “Let me guess, you stopped by work before you got on the road?” Sam had reached out to Mike a few months ago to co-op on some gear for her upcoming photo shoot and possibly her own athletic clothing line. She could always reach him on his office phone rather than his home or cell. Placing her free hand on Kelsey’s elbow, she glanced between Kai and Kelsey, “It’s been too long since we’ve all reconnected. Since it sounds like the coffee could take me down in the ring, tell me what you two have been up to these past few years?”
MHLouviere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:13 PM   #12
TheOneRonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slepnair View Post
He began walking over to the trio with his hands in his pockets. "Sam, Kai, Kelsey, it's good to see you three. I wish it were on better circumstances, but she always say she'd get us together again one day. Has anyone else shown up?"
"Miiiiiiiiiiiikey Miiiiiiiiiiiikey motor-bikie! Come here and let me hug your neck, ya big geek!"

Kelsey wraps Mike in one of her usual "complete violation of personal space and reasonable PDA standards" hug.

"I am so happy you could make it. I figured you'd still be up in Boston in one of those brain-tank groups or something, figurin' out how to cure cancer or solve world hunger or somethin like thaaat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHLouviere View Post
Just as Sam let go of Kai’s hug, she heard Mike’s familiar voice behind her. She turned and placed her arm around his back, leaning the side of her head to his. “Let me guess, you stopped by work before you got on the road?” Sam had reached out to Mike a few months ago to co-op on some gear for her upcoming photo shoot and possibly her own athletic clothing line. She could always reach him on his office phone rather than his home or cell. Placing her free hand on Kelsey’s elbow, she glanced between Kai and Kelsey, “It’s been too long since we’ve all reconnected. Since it sounds like the coffee could take me down in the ring, tell me what you two have been up to these past few years?”
"Waaaaeeel, I went Texas A&M to study Agriculture and ended up likin it so much that I stayed. After college I started working for the Agriculture department...mostly with livestock and horses. Most recently, I've been the lead Hand at Tally Ho Farms in Conroe. I still go back to College Station to volunteer some when work is slow at Tally Ho..."

There is a pregnant pause as Kesley gives that familiar smirk that you've all seen many times before when she believes she's said something clever.

"...and I've stayed in Texas ever since."

Her normal jovial demeanor shifts again as her voice lowers and her eyes fix on the floor. "I've only been back here once since I left...'bout this time last year when I helped Helen get moved in with Jill."

Kelsey absently fishes a box of lemon-head candies from her pocket and pops one in her mouth. She then shifts her gaze to Sam, then Kai, and finally Mike, anxious to hear what they have been up to.
TheOneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:45 AM   #13
Slepnair

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneRonin View Post
"Miiiiiiiiiiiikey Miiiiiiiiiiiikey motor-bikie! Come here and let me hug your neck, ya big geek!"

Kelsey wraps Mike in one of her usual "complete violation of personal space and reasonable PDA standards" hug.

"I am so happy you could make it. I figured you'd still be up in Boston in one of those brain-tank groups or something, figurin' out how to cure cancer or solve world hunger or somethin like thaaat.

"Waaaaeeel, I went Texas A&M to study Agriculture and ended up likin it so much that I stayed. After college I started working for the Agriculture department...mostly with livestock and horses. Most recently, I've been the lead Hand at Tally Ho Farms in Conroe. I still go back to College Station to volunteer some when work is slow at Tally Ho..."

There is a pregnant pause as Kesley gives that familiar smirk that you've all seen many times before when she believes she's said something clever.

"...and I've stayed in Texas ever since."

Her normal jovial demeanor shifts again as her voice lowers and her eyes fix on the floor. "I've only been back here once since I left...'bout this time last year when I helped Helen get moved in with Jill."

Kelsey absently fishes a box of lemon-head candies from her pocket and pops one in her mouth. She then shifts her gaze to Sam, then Kai, and finally Mike, anxious to hear what they have been up to.
Mike new better than to try and pull away from the hug and hugged her back with a sigh.

"One of these days I'm going to show up on a motorcycle just to mess with you Kelsey, I was looking at a few while searching for a new car. But you know, It's been interesting since I left Helen's. Once I managed to get into MIT and had the scholarship taken care of, I got really engrossed in the engineering field and managed to get my Doctorate in 6 years, though you would be surprised at the parties they throw there, made it really hard to work some nights."

Mike laughed a little at the thought and started to loosen up. Mike has never liked large gatherings, but being with family helps.

"And because of what I was researching there for my Doctorate, NASA recruited me straight out and moved me to Cape Canaveral to continue my work. Now, I run their R&D division working on perfecting my idea and more. It's been pretty smooth, not as many explosions as you might think, though surprisingly a couple while making something for Sam.."

Mike grinned for a moment then sighed.

"I really feel like I should have been here more for Helen. After she got sick, I was only a couple of hours away. I sent money, but could never bring myself to come by."

Mike started to look around to see if anyone else had shown up.
Slepnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:31 AM   #14
Rhoopes73

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneRonin View Post
"Waaaaeeel, I went Texas A&M to study Agriculture and ended up likin it so much that I stayed. After college I started working for the Agriculture department...mostly with livestock and horses. <snip> <snip>

"That's great, Kel. I'm glad you found a way to make a living doing something you love. Any brother-in-laws on the way?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slepnair View Post
Mike new better than to try and pull away from the hug and hugged her back with a sigh.

<snip><snip>

Mike grinned for a moment then sighed.

"I really feel like I should have been here more for Helen. After she got sick, I was only a couple of hours away. I sent money, but could never bring myself to come by."

Mike started to look around to see if anyone else had shown up.
"Yeah, we're pretty proud of Mike, here. People say 'It's not rocket science' to show that things are not that hard. We have a geniune rocket scientist who makes it look easy." Kai smiled and clapped his "younger" brother on the back.

Kai glanced down at his watch. It was almost time to start.

"As for me, unfortunately things didn't work out with Ashley." It had been a lovely wedding, as it should have considering Mr. Carlyle was paying for it. It had been at the Curtiss Mansion in Miami Springs, former home of the famed aviator Glenn Hammond Curtiss.

"We were just looking for different things. She's married to a cardio-thoracic surgeon now and living in Ft. Lauderdale when she is travelling to Cabo or Ibezia or some other expensive place where rich people go on vacation... But, hey, it is what it is. I still hear from her father from time to time. He wants me to go work for the Carlyle Medical Group. Meanwhile, I have finised up my residency and am now one of the medical examiners for Miami/Dade."
Rhoopes73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:56 PM   #15
MHLouviere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoopes73 View Post
"As for me, unfortunately things didn't work out with Ashley." It had been a lovely wedding, as it should have considering Mr. Carlyle was paying for it. It had been at the Curtiss Mansion in Miami Springs, former home of the famed aviator Glenn Hammond Curtiss....Meanwhile, I have finised up my residency and am now one of the medical examiners for Miami/Dade."
Sam smiled and nodded in pride as each sibling gave an update on where life had taken them.

"Good for you, Kelsey. You always did grab life by the horns..." Sam waited a second to ensure Kelsey got the small but pathetic attempt at a joke.

"Your wedding was one for the books, Kai. I still remember dancing the night away...but you know, you have always been on a deeper intellectual level than Ashley. I'm not saying that to be rude about her. I love the gal. She hits me up when she comes to NYC for Fashion Week. I'm just saying maybe she was the right girl at that time...but not a lifetime."

"Speaking of NYC, since moving there, I've won 9 Amateur titles. I had some serious talks with my team and decided to go pro two years ago. Over the past two years my schedule has been brutal. In 2016, I won the Super Welterweight Championship. I flew Ma Helen up to see it live. She had a thousand questions, but seeing how proud she was of me just gave me drive to push for more. This past year, I’ve been working on marketing and getting my name out there. I started working on an athletic clothing line idea and was in the middle of training for my second championship belt when I got the call from Aunt Jill. It all hit home that I’d sacrificed time with those I love to get to where I am today; however, on the flight here, I realized her greatest joy was knowing we were happy. She deserves the biggest damn toast of Talisker 25 from all of us later this evening. Of course, Mike's buying..."
MHLouviere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:51 PM   #16
TheOneRonin

Jill, Helen's younger sister, interrupts the group discussion by tapping Kai on his shoulder.

"My apologies for the intrusion, everyone. I need to speak with Kai for a moment. The service is about to start, so you all should find some seats. The front row is reserved for family, and there are still some seats open."

Jill pulls Kai away for a brief chat at the rest of you take your seats in the front row of folding chairs.

Last edited by TheOneRonin; 07-09-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:57 PM   #17
TheOneRonin

8:17 AM EST, July 15th, 2017 - St. Augustine, Florida - Craig Funeral Home

Kai Andersen made his way to the podium near Helen's coffin, cleared his throat, and then addressed the many people gathered for Helen's funeral.

"Helen Allen came into my life over twenty years ago, in 1996. I was a scared twelve year old boy, who had already been in the system for two years, with more than my share of baggage.

As some of you remember, I was quiet, withdrawn. I barely spoke. I had night terrors bad enough to wake the neighbors. I wet the bed. I was sure that this woman, this widow who was raising kids that were not her own all by herself, had no idea the waste of space I was. I was positive every night when I woke her up screaming that she would come to her senses the way the previous families had and she would send me back, damaged goods. But she never did.

Instead, she was there to comfort me when I was scared, to encourage me when I did well, and even to punish me when I acted like a miscreant.

She was always there for me, giving me what I needed even when it was not what I wanted. She was there cheering when I graduated high school and went to college. She was there happy for me when I got married. She was there to comfort me when my marriage fell apart. Through the good times and the bad, she was there for me and I was glad I could be there for her in the end. There is really only one word that can truly describe this wonderful, saint of a woman...'Mom' ”

Last edited by TheOneRonin; 07-09-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:06 PM   #18
TheOneRonin

8:43 AM EST, July 15th, 2017 - St. Augustine, Florida - Craig Funeral Home

More folks step up and say a few words about Helen. Strangely enough, most of them begin with “I didn’t know her that well…” or “We were never close…”

After the procession of strangers complete their awkward praises for Helen, the presiding priest makes his way to the podium.

“Thank you for those kind words everyone. Let’s begin…”

“Uhhhh, excuse me dude…sir…ummm, padre? <under his breath> whatever…roll with it.”

The voice comes from the far corner of the front row of seats where an uncomfortable looking Frank Dillinger stands and adjusts his ill-fitting sports jacket. An audible “MEEP!” escapes Kelsey’s mouth as she realizes another one of her siblings made it to the funeral.

Frank makes his way to the podium, fiddling with an older model cell phone when he arrives.

“I’m not much for speeches, but Helen was my mom…I loved her, and I’m gonna miss her. My brother Clint couldn’t make it, but he sent some voicemails he wanted me to share with everyone…”

Franks voice trails off as he focuses on operating the flip-phone’s tiny controls. He moves the phone near the podium microphone as the voicemail system picks up.

Please enter your password.
*BEEP, BEEP, BOOP, BEEP*
You have 14 new messages.

First new message:
Clint’s voice speaks at a low volume with the cacophony of nocturnal life in the Florida Everglades providing background. “Hey Frank! Now I know you’re busy doin’ yer own thing ‘n all nowadays, but I got a favor to ask ya. Momma panther is overdue and she’s at ‘er most vuln’rable. I ain’t gonna make the funeral. If you can go to my place and grab the blue TracFone and bring it by, or if ya decide not to go just mail it to Kai, I’d greatly apprec- Aw hogwash! I’m callin’ that phone now. Let me call you on your number, and just delete this first voicemail.”

Next new message:
“Frank, sorry again for calling so late, I kinda forgot what time it was and didn’t realize I’d wake ya. Oh, and delete this voicemail too.”
End of new message.

Next new message:
“Heeey everybody, it’s Clint. If you’re listening to this it means I couldn’t make it. Sorry guys, I can promise you my heart I’d make it if I could, but I got this job workin’ with a preservation team trying to protect the Florida panthers. No, not the hockey team, even though they could use some help too. I wanted to letcha know I’m doin’ good… and I’m happy. I’m lucky to have wound up this way, and we all know-”
End of new message.

Next new message:
“And we all know I’dn’tve turned out to be the person I am today if it weren’t for Momma. Now I know summa y’all call’d her Helen, but she was our Mom. Some of ya may’ve known known another before her, but she’s the only Momma I ever had. I’ve always only ever been livin’ at home since I could ever remember. When I was old enough t-”
End of new message.

Next new message:
“When I was old enough to ask about it, I found out my parents had died in a car crash when I was too young to remember. I only really felt guilt fer not feelin’ anything about it. I’d had no idea who they really were and neither did Momma, and there weren’t nothin’ what could be done about it anyhow. That was that, I was happy, me an’ I had my family. Momma kept us in line and Mikey was always-”
End of new message.

Next new message:
“Always findin’ new and interesting stuff to keep us entertained. Hyeheheh, awww those’re some fond memories. Huntin’ fer treasure, collecting pets, pretendin’ to be wrestlers, makin’ traps for the squirrels that kept eating Momma’s garden, makin’ jumps and seein’ how high we could gettim’ before Momma’d come out and yell at us. Well, it was mostly Mikey doin’ the makin’, but I sure enjoyed testing things out. I still can’t believe one of th-”
End of new message.

Next new message:
“Still can’t believe one of those squirrel traps worked. I remember just standing there dumbfounded watching that squirrel freak out before Mikey started shoutting ‘Get him!’ and sure as sunshine, I did. Bit clean through my thumbnail, I started flailing around but it didn’t quite let go at first. ‘I got it, I got it, it’s got me! It’s got me!’ I’d never seen Momma move so fast when she heard my hollerin’, and never knew-”
End of new message.

Frank continues to hold the phone to the mic, looking significantly bored.

Next new message:
“Never knew she could yell that loud. But of course she was just worried. Then ‘94 came ‘round and Sam n’ Frank came to the house. I was so happy to have another brother and sister closer to my age, but Sam kept hittin’ me for stuff a lot and Frank was kinda quiet. Y’all warmed up soon enough, Momma’s firm hand built a calm-rod-ery between us by the time Kai came ‘round in ‘96 and then Kelsey in ‘97.”
End of new message.

Next new message:
“Hey! I ended that voicemail on the end of a sentence! Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah! Kai was kinduva jerk when he first got there and it took him a bit to warm up, but then again he was just about a teenager when he got there. Kelsey was great, she always wanted to see what I’d found and was just as quick at catchin’ toads and stuff, and just as happy to show ‘em off. Momma always blamed me for gettin’ Kelsey into-”
End of new message.

Next new message:
“Fer gettin’ Kelsey into takin’ home everything we could catch, but I was so happy to see I wasn’t the only one who had a fondness for what the world had to offer the senses rather than what it had to offer in a textbook. Even with Mikey’s help school was always a struggle and I couldn’t make myself want to learn. For a while I did better when I found out you could get a degree specially fer workin’ on a pit crew, bu-”
End of new message.

Next new message:
“But when Dale Earnhardt died when I was in 11th grade, that hit hard. What was the point of it all if your hero could just die in the blink of an eye. It was an uphill battle to finish that year, but when career day came around and I got to spend a day with the Park service I knew what I wanted to do with my life. That summer I spent interning, much to Momma’s happiness seeing as I found direction, and I lear-
End of new message.

Next new message:
“And I learned a lot about the different parts of the National Park Service and affiliated organizations. Most importantly, I learned most all positions beyond maintenance and such needed a college degree, an’ I wasn’t sittin’ on an enviable GPA. I worked an internship that summer, studied hard senior year, and applied to college. Good thing I knew how to apply elbow grease, cuz I sure didn’t get in. But that-”
End of new message.

Next new message:
“That didn’t matter, as the internship turned into a full-time position in maintenance, which turned into a caretaker position in Georgia, which turned into an animal control position in Mississippi, which turned into a preservation position in Tennesee, then in Louisiana, then back here in Florida. I kept in touch with Momma through letters,” there’s a long pause “and I visited-“
End of new message.

Next new message:
“Visited during the winter of 2015, but I still feel like I shoulda come back more.” *Clint inhales hard, snuffling snot and his voice raising higher in pitch* “Momma deserved better. She deserved a boy who woulda come back and visited more often and took care of her and- wait! Oh ****!” the volume of Clint’s voice rises abruptly in concert with a sharp hissing “AW SHIET! AW-“ a splashing sound is heard as the shouting becomes muffled before the message ends.

Frank looks down at the phone and shakes his head.
“Ummm, yeah…that’s Clint. Aight…peace out…take it away, padre.”
Old 07-25-2017, 06:37 PM   #19
TheOneRonin

9:17 AM EST, July 15th, 2017 - St. Augustine, Florida - Craig Funeral Home

The solemn procession of guests exits the funeral service for Helen Allen as Dr. Kai assembles his siblings for some good news...much needed in light of the recent tragedy.

The screeching sound of off-road tires shedding layers of rubber shatter the quiet of the Craig Funeral Home parking lot as Clint Stone puts his 92 Jeep Wrangler into a power slide to bleed off excess velocity, avoid fleeing funeral-goers, and snatch that sweet parking spot near the sidewalk before someone else does.

"CLINT STONE YOU OLD BONE, GET OVER HERE AND LET ME HUG YOUR NECK!" shouted Kesley before the smoke cleared from Clint's crazy but typical maneuver.

"Did ah miss it? Did ah miss the whole hoot-nanny?" questioned Clint as he disembarked the jeep and planted his feet, bracing for Kelsey's hug-tackle.

"Yes, you did, but we are glad you are here anyway Clint," said Dr. Kai.

"As I was saying, I have a fantastic opportunity and I want you all to join me. Earlier this morning Jill was telling me how Helen always wanted to visit some place tropical, but never got the opportunity. Jill planned on taking Helen's ashes and spreading them on the beach here in St. Augs, but that gave me an idea. My ex Father-in-law has a huge beach house on his own private island near Bermuda. We are still on good terms, so I gave him a call and asked him if we could use it. Not on did he say yes, but he is is going to have his Skipper take us there on his private Yacht. I figured we could spread Helen's ashes someplace TRULY tropical. Plus it would be nice to catch up with all of you and be able to relax some. I've been to Barton's Cove twice, back when I was still married to Ashley. It's a great spot. You all will love it.

"A yacht and a private island? And he is doing all of this for us for free? C'mon Kai...what's the catch?" inquired Mike.

"I promised him I'd do an interview with one of his pharma companies when I returned. Of course, I didn't promise I'd take the job..."
Old 07-25-2017, 06:47 PM   #20
TheOneRonin

Skipper’s Log: 10:45AM EST, July 15th, 2017 – St. Augustine Marina

Ship: The Sea Venture

Skipper: Ben Vilabreo

Mr. Carlyle called this morning and asked me to pull out the 78 and get her cleaned and loaded for a trip to Barton’s Cove. Apparently Dr. Kai and his siblings have some sort of vacation planned and will be spending a week at the villa. I’m a little worried about the weather, it being Hurricane Season and all, but the forecast is clear. I’m going to drive her down to McRae’s this afternoon for a tune-up, wash, and trim. 1st Mate Tyler is going to handle linens and supplies.

Skipper’s Log: 5:07PM EST, July 16th, 2017 – McRae’s

The 78 passed all her checks. The leak in the water storage tank has been patched, and it should be good enough to hold for the trip. The wave runners are still down for maintenance, but Mr. Carlyle said not worry about them. I still have my doubts about the radio…it’s been buggy for the last few months, but we can’t seem to get the problems to reproduce when Dan is checking it out. No worries…We will have the sat-phone with us, so we should be fine.

We’ve got the hold packed with supplies for the trip. There’s enough for the sail to Barton’s Cove, 1 week on the island, the sail back to St Aug’s, and probably some extra left over. Though I’m betting the booze will be gone before the sail back. Tyler even insisted on bringing his personal fondue set. Yes, Tyler has a fondue set. Wonders never cease.

Skipper’s Log: 5:45PM EST, July 18th, 2017 – St. Augustine Marina

Bad luck all around. 1st, Tyler’s got the flu, so I’ll be down a first mate. I think I’ll miss the fondue set the most. Thankfully Dr. Kai is a pretty experienced sailor, and he knows the Venture well enough, so we should be in good shape.

The 2nd issue is the weather. Reports are showing a tropical storm forming in the Atlantic. Looks like it should miss us, but might make the trip back a little rough. I’m going to have to keep my eyes on the radar and the reports for the time being. Dr. Kai was pretty adamant that we can’t cancel the trip, even though it’s smarter to wait out the storm.

The 3rd issue is the damned radio. It’s still cutting in and out. I’m going to try and get Dan to take one more look at it before we depart tonight, but there are no guarantees.