Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-06-2016, 03:51 PM   #11
whswhs

Default Re: question about infinite worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovos View Post
How would the different factions view a world where a global Byzantine empire is the dominant world power.
"Factions"?

If we're talking about Homeline and Centrum, I think Centrum would like it a lot. Byzantium is highly centralized and bureaucratic and ought to be just their cuppa. I would bet that Centrum agents are indoctrinated in the merits of the Roman Empire.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:22 AM   #12
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I don't think anyone is suggesting that the British are the obstacle to a global Byzantine empire.
No, by the time the British rose, the Byzantine Empire was long, long dead.

The Byzantines died primarily due to to the rise of Islam, to the east, and brutal enmity by Venice, in the west. Remove a hostile, effective force in the West, and Byzantium may be able to expand along the north coast of the Mediterranean while fighting the Muslims to the south and east.

Remove Islam, and Byzantium could probably keep Anatolia, the Levant, Egypt and the Black Sea, because they could focus a lot more effort on suppression of Venice (or whomever rises in place of Venice). Domination of the western end of Silk Road trade gives the Byzantines a steady source of income they could use for all sorts of things, if they didn't have to fight the ferocious expansion of Islam.

So, kill off Islam, early, and make sure nothing rises in its place (that's a huge jump). Alternatively, have Mohammed become a prophet of Orthodox Christianity, so all of his and his followers' prodigious skills, energy and talents work for Byzantium, instead of against it. Have him rise to become Patriarch of Orthodox Christianity, and you could have a pretty amazing setting.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:53 AM   #13
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
So, kill off Islam, early, and make sure nothing rises in its place (that's a huge jump). Alternatively, have Mohammed become a prophet of Orthodox Christianity, so all of his and his followers' prodigious skills, energy and talents work for Byzantium, instead of against it. Have him rise to become Patriarch of Orthodox Christianity, and you could have a pretty amazing setting.
Missionary and then Canonized Saint is more likely (more 'orthodox'), but that's still a fun setting. Be careful of whose toes you step on though. The great Arab saint can just as easily be someone else. The big decision to make in that scenario is what happens to Persia -- do the Zoroastrians stick it out and form the eastwards limit of the empire, or do the byzantines finally unite the empire of Alexander? (Wow, just realized no one else ever ruled all three of greece, persia, and egypt).

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:13 AM   #14
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I don't think anyone is suggesting that the British are the obstacle to a global Byzantine empire.
I believe the suggestion was that lack of easy access to the Atlantic Ocean was the obstacle to a global Byzantine empire, and the British Empire was mentioned as a comparison.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds