Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-20-2016, 05:15 PM   #1
RedDragon

Default On the subject of JoJo

Note: I've just started watching battle tendency, so no spoilers in the comments, please!

After watching part 1 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, I thought that a Sendo martial artist would be an interesting character concept, so I set about trying to make a full Sendo style using the rules in GURPS Martial Arts. It was difficult because many Sendo moves would probably be built better as advantages, as well as the fact that it can be hard to tell if a particular move is from Sendo or a character's other fighting knowledge (e.g. Jonathan's Bare-Knuckle Boxing), but I think I've made something workable.

I made a new Hard technique called Hamon Control which defaults to Breath Control - 3 and cannot exceed Breath Control. Some of the more out-there feats can be modeled as powers, taking the Hamon(-15%) modifier (It requires oxygen, and also has many of the same weaknesses as the Chi modifier). Hamon Control is the controlling skill for powers with the Hamon(-15%) modifier. Hamon Talent costs 5 points/level.

For those unaware, Sendo is an Indian martial art in the JoJo series that revolves around the building and usage of Hamon (life energy, basically chi) to perform extraordinary feats, including healing others, slaying vampires and other undead, and other Wuxia-style feats. However, in order to use Hamon, the user must have a fully-functioning respiratory system. This means that they (usually) can't use it underwater or while being choked, nor can beings without blood (and by extension blood cells), like undead, use it.

Sendo [4pts]:

Skills: Breath Control; Hidden Lore (Hamon); Karate

Techniques: Breakfall (Karate); Counterattack (Karate); Exotic Hand Strike; Feint (Karate); Hamon Control; Kicking (Karate); Knee Strike (Karate); Low Fighting (Karate); Spinning Punch (Karate); Spinning Kick (Karate); Sweep (Karate); Uppercut (Karate)

Cinematic Skills: Blind Fighting; Body Control; Breaking Blow; Flying Leap; Light Walk; Mental Strength; Power Blow; Pressure Points; Pressure Secrets; Sensitivity; Throwing Art

Cinematic Maneuvers: Dual-Weapon Attack (Karate); Dual-Weapon Defense (Karate); Hand Catch (Karate); Lethal Kick (Karate); Lethal Strike (Karate); Pressure-Point Strike (Karate); Roll With Blow (Karate); Springing Attack (Karate); Timed Defense (Karate)

Perks: Clinch (Karate); Cotton Stomach; Focused Fury; Iron Body Parts (Any); Rapid Retraction (Punches); Sure-Footed (Uneven); Technique Mastery (Hamon Control)

Optional Traits:

Attributes: Increased ST; Increased Will; Increased FP

Advantages: Breath Holding; Fit or Very Fit; Hamon Talent; High Pain Threshold

Disadvantages: Overconfidence; Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents); Code of Honor (Varies)

Skills: Acrobatics; Boxing; Esoteric Medicine (Hamon Healing); Intimidation; Karate Art; Parry Missile Weapons; Wrestling; Wrestling Art

Maneuvers: Head Butt

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited by RedDragon; 08-20-2016 at 12:26 PM.
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:59 PM   #2
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Default Re: On the subject of JoJo

I watched the first episode and it made me hate Dio and the teacher/dad guy so much that I never could work up the nerve to watch a second episode. I don't think I've ever felt such a strong urge to kill a fictional character before or since, which I guess could be interpreted as successful villain writing in a sense.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:12 PM   #3
RedDragon

Default Re: On the subject of JoJo

Yeah, I was the same way. I procrastinated on it for 6 months and now i started watching it again. If you like shonen anime, I'd really reccomend sticking with it. It's pretty good. Also, Dio gets the **** kicked out of him repeatedly, which is very satisfying.
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jojo, martial arts, martial arts style