Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-18-2019, 12:13 PM   #1
geppo_68

Default [AtE] Invention rules + antidote example

Dear all,
I understand the the basic rules take into account of the number of people involved in the project, in order to proportionally reduce the "prototype" and "production time".
What about the After the End rules? Team size is ininfluent?

Second question: my players are researching an antidote for a "zombification" plague. But how many doses do they produce for one prototype roll? ....only one dose?

Thanks
Giuseppe
geppo_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:38 PM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: [AtE] Invention rules + antidote example

Quote:
Originally Posted by geppo_68 View Post
Second question: my players are researching an antidote for a "zombification" plague. But how many doses do they produce for one prototype roll? ....only one dose?
Up to the GM I’d think. At the prototype stage, you probably only have a vague idea of dosage. I’d say you make enough that you can successfully test it and have a few doses left over. Say, you’ve got enough to test 10 subjects (with varying dosage sizes), and once you’ve figured out proper dosage you have enough left for 5 people (although with only 10 test subjects, your dosage isn’t really optimal - expect a chance or failure and/or some negative side effects).
Old 09-18-2019, 04:13 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

In most zombie fiction I know of, people search for THE cure, not treatment that may work on some and has initially unpredictable side effects for some. Usually it's a one size fits all.
But as an ongoing campaign goal, I think adding all the realistic problems with drug R&D could be fun.

Prototypes should be just enough to know if the result works at all or not.

Realistically, there's little chance of a single tested dose working even if the underlying substance would work perfectly on most subjects with the right dosage or number of treatments. For such a setting, I'd also vote for many doses per roll.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:44 PM   #4
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
In most zombie fiction I know of, people search for THE cure, not treatment that may work on some and has initially unpredictable side effects for some. Usually it's a one size fits all.
True, but in those it’s usually more a case of them trying to find the magical mix of reagents that creates a super-cure, and the idea of a prototype doesn’t come into play at all - once they’ve found the formula (which cures zombies instantly instead of blowing them up - it’s usually a pretty clear and immediate yes/no), so long as they can get it to someone with the means to mass produce and distribute it, everything is good.

Prototyping when it comes to medicine seems like the “we need to figure out the right dose and what side effects occur, and maybe how to reduce the impact of those side effects” stage, but I’m hardly an expert.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:05 PM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged

I guess it all really depends not just on how realistic one wants things, but also whether the cure should be a short, medium, or long term goal.

I just imagine a case where a prototype appears to fail but didn't, because of wonky dice rolls and/or obfuscating side effects.

How detail oriented the players are seems like another important variable.

Tags
inventions