Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2019, 05:39 PM   #51
Fred Brackin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Default Re: 25mm Payload Rifle [Ultratech]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Eh, it would actually be pretty useful for variable velocity artillery, there's a reason howitzers have separate powder and projectile, and that is perfectly useful for grenade launchers.
Variable velocity is liquid propellant which is separate from ETC in UT.
__________________
Fred Brackin
Fred Brackin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:41 PM   #52
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: 25mm Payload Rifle [Ultratech]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Variable velocity is liquid propellant which is separate from ETC in UT.
Oh right. Yes, that's a distinction that shouldn't exist. ETC is just spark-ignited liquid propellant, and I don't think anyone is seriously considering any other form of liquid propellant gun.
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:05 AM   #53
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title
 
Joseph Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Default Re: 25mm Payload Rifle [Ultratech]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Oh right. Yes, that's a distinction that shouldn't exist. ETC is just spark-ignited liquid propellant, and I don't think anyone is seriously considering any other form of liquid propellant gun.
This seems to be contradictory to the research done so far which includes the ignition and control of combustion of solid propellants.
__________________
Joseph Paul
Joseph Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:03 AM   #54
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics
 
DouglasCole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Burnsville, MN
Default Re: 25mm Payload Rifle [Ultratech]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
This seems to be contradictory to the research done so far which includes the ignition and control of combustion of solid propellants.
I took a look at LP, ETC, and ETK weapons a bit here. I was expecting to show that there's no way to make them work, terribly overpowered, etc.

They may be terribly overpowered, but they're not flat-out crazed.
__________________
Gaming Ballistic, LLC
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:08 AM   #55
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: 25mm Payload Rifle [Ultratech]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
This seems to be contradictory to the research done so far which includes the ignition and control of combustion of solid propellants.
Huh...so you're thinking ETK is spark-ignited solid propellant? That's not how it was presented in third edition, though there could have been a deliberate change. In that case, ETK should be a fairly small base improvement that stacks with LP.
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:24 AM   #56
Varyon
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default Re: 25mm Payload Rifle [Ultratech]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I took a look at LP, ETC, and ETK weapons a bit here. I was expecting to show that there's no way to make them work, terribly overpowered, etc.

They may be terribly overpowered, but they're not flat-out crazed.
Interesting. How do you feel the MinST should be affected? HT has +P ammo boost MinST by the same factor as damage (x1.1 either way). Should ETC etc be the same? That would certainly limit its ability to be used by non-powered infantry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Huh...so you're thinking ETK is spark-ignited solid propellant? That's not how it was presented in third edition, though there could have been a deliberate change. In that case, ETK should be a fairly small base improvement that stacks with LP.
I've always assumed ETC uses solid propellant, and ETK uses liquid (basically being ETC+LP).
__________________
GURPS Overhaul
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:14 AM   #57
RyanW
 
RyanW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Southeast NC
Default Re: 25mm Payload Rifle [Ultratech]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I've always assumed ETC uses solid propellant, and ETK uses liquid (basically being ETC+LP).
Since the energy is provided externally, they can use whatever material has suitable thermal properties. I've always assumed it was something like the ablative plastic used in laser-pumped rockets.
__________________
RyanW
-. . .-- / - . .-.. . --. .-. .- .--. .... / .-- .... --- / -.. .. ... ..--..
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:32 AM   #58
AlexanderHowl
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Default Re: 25mm Payload Rifle [Ultratech]

Not possible, the energy required is insufficient for a laser. The idea behind the technology is to use a spark to ignite an exothermic reaction that creates a plasma rather than a gas from a solid propellant. Since the plasma can be directed by an EM field, it allows for more of the energy of the reaction to be used to propel the projectile rather than being wasted by ramming into the barrel (reducing felt recoil and strain on the barrel).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:32 PM   #59
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title
 
Joseph Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Default Re: 25mm Payload Rifle [Ultratech]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Huh...so you're thinking ETK is spark-ignited solid propellant? That's not how it was presented in third edition, though there could have been a deliberate change. In that case, ETK should be a fairly small base improvement that stacks with LP.
No, I am thinking we are playing with the wrong abbreviations.

You had written previously that "Oh right. Yes, that's a distinction that shouldn't exist. ETC is just spark-ignited liquid propellant" Did you mean ETK?

My post was entirely about research in to ETC which has been used with both solid and liquid propellants.

The UT Designers Notes say that ETK is similar to both LP and ETC weapons and includes variable power shots. But no mention of specific liquid carrying magazines.
__________________
Joseph Paul
Joseph Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:12 AM   #60
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: 25mm Payload Rifle [Ultratech]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
No, I am thinking we are playing with the wrong abbreviations.
I was just thinking about what it was in 3e, actually. In any case, 50% for simple ETC seems quite high.
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.