Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-11-2019, 12:19 PM   #11
David Johnston2

Default Re: FTL 'Fuel' [Space]

The insane power requirement issue is why I went with the sundivers. Somehow by flying at suns at high speed and skimming the sun's corona the starships draw the needed power since I can't really see them holding enough "fuel" internally to do it.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:32 PM   #12
Ulzgoroth

Specific FTL fuel never really makes sense to me. I can't really imagine an FTL process being directly concerned with chemistry, and have little patience with the fantasy minerals that softer SF often will invent. FTL fuel that you mine is right out.

I could possibly see antimatter (as the best available way of generating an intense gamma flux perhaps?), or some type of FTL 'charges' that contain one use machinery or 'machinery' for an FTL operation. Mostly I just lean to no FTL-specific consumables (aside from maybe specific spares).
Old 11-11-2019, 01:06 PM   #13
PTTG

The hardest-science FTL fuel I can imagine using is something like exotic matter. It could be that establishing any wormhole requires the consumption of EM, and the equipment for manufacturing or creating more of it cannot feasibly be moved. Maybe it's only made on Io by an ancient alien manufacturing complex drawing antimatter out of the Io-Jove flux tube.

Alternatively, it could be that it requires a packet of entangled particles kept at absolute zero and manufactured at the destination system. Then it's an interesting twist on fuel, as you would need to obtain more of these particles if you wish to return there without paying someone else to get you more.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:51 PM   #14
Black Leviathan

Jump Gates in Fading Suns require a purchased fuel but the original books were very vague about the mechanics of that other than the amount of jumps each ship had capacity for. We interpreted it as vessels requiring reaction mass to fly through the gates as reactionless drives cause insanity or attract things from the dark of the voide! We made the jump fuel essentially a treated heavy water that allowed ships to push themselves through the gate to the other side.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:43 PM   #15
warellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
The hardest-science FTL fuel I can imagine using is something like exotic matter. It could be that establishing any wormhole requires the consumption of EM, and the equipment for manufacturing or creating more of it cannot feasibly be moved. Maybe it's only made on Io by an ancient alien manufacturing complex drawing antimatter out of the Io-Jove flux tube.

Alternatively, it could be that it requires a packet of entangled particles kept at absolute zero and manufactured at the destination system. Then it's an interesting twist on fuel, as you would need to obtain more of these particles if you wish to return there without paying someone else to get you more.
So something like negmat, like what one guy used for their homebrew Traveller setting as a reason for why ship electronics, like computers, were so big and clunky compared to modern stuff?:
The Starship Example: "Reactionless" Drive?
The Starship Example: FTL, Stargates, and Rabbitholes
Building A Space Navy in the Gentleman Abroad Series 1
Spoiler:  

Last edited by warellis; 11-12-2019 at 02:40 PM.
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:59 PM   #16
Johnny1A.2

In my world, FTL is semi-dependent on an extra-dimensional form of exotic matter that was the basis of the legendary orichalcum of Plato. It's not indispensable, but it's far, far harder without it. It's not a fuel as such, though, it's a component. It doesn't get used up. FTL isn't its only application, and it's super-rare and awesomely expensive, though, which shapes the entire setting.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:54 PM   #17
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Civilian ships used giant closed-cycle fuel cells to power the stutterwarp. in addition to the "charge" thing you had to get rid of in a solar graviity well.

So while you were discharging your fTL you put out solar panels to run your fuel cells in reverse and turn all their previous water exhaust back into hydrogen and oxygen.
That's not something I recall from the Traveller 2300 or 2300 AD rules at all. Fuel Cells (and MHD plants) used fuel, and then it was gone. There may have been some rules for collecting the waste water and cracking it later, but it certainly wasn't a standard procedure, and just about any ship that needed the freedom from refuelling would just use a fission or fusion plant.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:26 PM   #18
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
That's not something I recall from the Traveller 2300 or 2300 AD rules at all. Fuel Cells (and MHD plants) used fuel, and then it was gone. There may have been some rules for collecting the waste water and cracking it later, but it certainly wasn't a standard procedure, and just about any ship that needed the freedom from refuelling would just use a fission or fusion plant.
<shrug> My memory is quite clear but I think it was a very early version. I know thye renamed the game at one point but I only got the one book (alsmot certainly the first one) for it.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:37 AM   #19
Prince Charon

Psionic, chi-based, or other 'pretty much magical' FTL drives can potentially have some pretty disturbing 'fuels.' On the safe end, 'you have to sacrifice a live chicken to Damballa every jump' isn't too onerous, and wouldn't be morally problematic for most people, you just need to keep a good supply of live chickens onboard (and white rum, which apparently he really likes). On the other end, sacrifices of sapient beings, or vessels that are somehow powered by a forsaken child (who might die from the strain, or become useless when they grow up, or something like that) would be really hard to justify a non-evil society going along with (unless they don't know about it).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:03 AM   #20
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Psionic, chi-based, or other 'pretty much magical' FTL drives can potentially have some pretty disturbing 'fuels.' On the safe end, 'you have to sacrifice a live chicken to Damballa every jump' isn't too onerous, and wouldn't be morally problematic for most people, you just need to keep a good supply of live chickens onboard (and white rum, which apparently he really likes). On the other end, sacrifices of sapient beings, or vessels that are somehow powered by a forsaken child (who might die from the strain, or become useless when they grow up, or something like that) would be really hard to justify a non-evil society going along with (unless they don't know about it).
An idea I had for a short story was that FTL (and other superscience, but the story was to focus on the FTL bit) required a person as a "battery" of sorts, and it drained away the time they had left to live. A twist was, this drained from human nominal lifespan of 120 years, and if the person reached their "cut-off" date, they'd simply expire on the spot (similar to those who run out of time in In Time). Many people were willing to sell a few years they probably wouldn't get anyway, and of course plenty of people sold far more than a few years. Criminals could also reduce their sentences by donating some of their time to live (essentially trading in potential time at the end of their lives to get more time now). Certainly has a lot of room for corruption, but as the loss was voluntary, it didn't require an evil society to make use of it.