Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-08-2019, 04:01 PM   #51
arnej

Default Re: Changes to Combat Reflexes [Basic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by seycyrus View Post
I believe that I stole this idea from your GM! Does he run "Dark Paths and Wandered Roads"?
Why yes, yes he does! We'll be playing Sunday night!
arnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:04 PM   #52
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
The build is mundane because it does not exceed the default attribute and secondary characteristic maximums of GURPS and because it does not have any cinematic, exotic, or supernatural traits by the default rules of GURPS. Now, realistic settings might consider DX and HT 15+ as cinematic, but that is not the default assumption of GURPS, and they would not necessarily be cinematic in certain realistic settings (TL12 genetic engineering can give templates an average of DX+4 and HT+5, so what is considered cinematic at that point?). It is, however, not superhuman by the default asuumptions of GURPS.
I suppose it depends how you define mundane, cinematic, and superhuman. Mundane usually applies to the normal - which is the 8-12 range most people fit in. Beyond that you get cinematic, but possible results. If an individual had abilities that those stats represent, they would be considered a superhuman athlete by ability regardless of what the chart says.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:13 PM   #53
awesomenessofme1

I would consider someone who was the best human in history at one thing to probably be cinematic. Someone who is the best human in history in two broad attributes is almost certainly superhuman.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:39 PM   #54
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
I suppose it depends how you define mundane, cinematic, and superhuman. Mundane usually applies to the normal - which is the 8-12 range most people fit in. Beyond that you get cinematic, but possible results. If an individual had abilities that those stats represent, they would be considered a superhuman athlete by ability regardless of what the chart says.
My own take is that there are two different oppositions here. One is mundane versus fantastic (which includes superhuman); the other is realistic versus cinematic/epic. The fantastic is a matter of the envisioned world having elements that transcend our normal understanding of what is possible; the cinematic/epic is a matter of how much latitude is given to characters being able to do things because "it makes a better story."

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:58 PM   #55
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Sure, and that's largely true of Danger Sense too. But there's an independent question of "Exactly which cinematic advantage is this thing you described?"
I don't consider Combat Reflexes to be 'cinematic'. Underpriced for all it does? Yes, but it's well within the realm of 'GURPS playable believability'.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:44 PM   #56
naloth

Quote:
My own take is that there are two different oppositions here. One is mundane versus fantastic (which includes superhuman); the other is realistic versus cinematic/epic. The fantastic is a matter of the envisioned world having elements that transcend our normal understanding of what is possible; the cinematic/epic is a matter of how much latitude is given to characters being able to do things because "it makes a better story."
Usually there's quite a bit of overlap between fantastic and cinematic. After all, action/spy movies do things not physical possible almost as often as a Marvel supers movie.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:15 PM   #57
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
Usually there's quite a bit of overlap between fantastic and cinematic. After all, action/spy movies do things not physical possible almost as often as a Marvel supers movie.
But they don't have the same meaning. In a superhero movie, it's usually because the characters have powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men. In a spy movie, they ARE mortal men, and their abilities are understood to be no more than what mortal man can achieve with training and practice—but when it helps the narrative, the extent of those abilities is understood optimistically.

Goliath is fantastic: He's something like nine feet tall, he's incredibly strong, he wields a spear that no normal man could lift. But David is not fantastic. He's a normal human being, not some sort of weird hybrid. He's just really, really good with his sling, perhaps cinematically good.

Old 11-08-2019, 11:11 PM   #58
Anthony

Quote:
But they don't have the same meaning. In a superhero movie, it's usually because the characters have powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men.
Unless it's a Batman movie...
Old 11-08-2019, 11:23 PM   #59
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Unless it's a Batman movie...
Which is why I said "usually." Though Clint Barton and Natasha Romanov are nearly comparable.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:28 AM   #60
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
I appreciate that these people are your friends and you don't define them as suffering from PTSD, but when your mind is ready to slip into a fight or flight situation, when you don't have any analysis of your situation but go straight into action, those are the characteristics of PTSD.
I'd be very hesitant to diagnose anyone with PTSD unless they're displaying or feeling physical or cognitive symptoms which emerged as a result of exposure to acute or chronic conditions of extreme stress and which interfere with their ability to function professionally or socially.

It is possible to have "trained reflexes" without the dysphoric symptoms associated with PTSD and its related conditions. The keys are situational awareness, confidence in your abilities and equipment, and good stress management techniques.

"Cumulative Stress" and Chronic Stress can cause PTSD in first responders, but until enough bad stuff happens it's possible for them to be at the peak of their abilities without suffering any negative mental effects.

Additionally, some percentage of the population (~20%?) is highly emotionally resilient. They either don't suffer from PTSD, don't suffer from it as badly, or get better more quickly. People on the sociopathic/psychopathic scale also appear to be highly resistent to PTSD.

In GURPS terms, it's sort of like Recovery, but for effects of failed Fright Checks, plus some level of Fearlessness.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote