Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #31
Grunker

Default Re: Help needed with leveled powers

Sorry for the thread-necromancy, but I'm having a new problem with another power I was hoping you guys could help me with.

I'm making the Axii-sign, which is basically a different version of a jedi mind trick. My basic thought of how to do this was like this:

Level 1: Mind Control with Accessibility (only on sentient beings) -20%, Costs 1FP per use -5%, Emotion Control -50%, Sense-based (eye-contact) -20%. Total cost -95% (-80% because of max limitation rule). So we end up with a power costing 50 (-80%) which is 10 points.

Level 2: Same as above but costs 2FP per use and with Suggestion (-40%) instead of Emotion Control. However, this adds up to -90% (-80%) - so the cost would be the same as the level 1 power even though this power is strictly better except for a slight increase in FP cost! Even with the same FP cost, it would still cost the same.

Another problem arises as we further develop the power:

Level 3: Same as level two except it costs 3FP per use and it has Independent (+70%). The limitation modifier is now -95% (-80%), so the total cost is 50 (-10%) which is equal to 45 points!

That gives us a power tree with a point cost that looks like this:

Level 1: 10 points
Level 2: 0 points
Level 3: 35 points

This is clearly not desirable. How to deal with this? :O

Last edited by Grunker; 04-30-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Grunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #32
Grunker

Another question in addition to the one above: I'm making the Heliotrop Sign which is basically a ward against magic. As such, it is pretty easy to make, but I do have one thing I'd like to do but can't figure out how to. In the books, Geralt uses this sign to protect him instantly - essentially as an active defense akin to Block. Is there any way to make it so?

My idea so far is to make the Sign into an Affliction that can only target the witcher and grants him Magic Resistance and/or Damage Resistance against spells and signs. This is easy to do - but is there any way I can implement as an active defense or otherwise something that the witcher can do as an "immideate action"?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #33
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunker View Post
Another question in addition to the one above: I'm making the Heliotrop Sign which is basically a ward against magic. As such, it is pretty easy to make, but I do have one thing I'd like to do but can't figure out how to. In the books, Geralt uses this sign to protect him instantly - essentially as an active defense akin to Block. Is there any way to make it so?

My idea so far is to make the Sign into an Affliction that can only target the witcher and grants him Magic Resistance and/or Damage Resistance against spells and signs. This is easy to do - but is there any way I can implement as an active defense or otherwise something that the witcher can do as an "immideate action"?
To change a power from one which requires an action to activate into one which can be activated instantly, use the Reflexive enhancement (Powers page 109). If there's a roll to activate it (such as for Affliction) this is at -4 for instant activation. I suppose you could replace the -4 with x1/2+3, like other defense rolls. Either way, he can still activate it in 1 second at no penalty.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #34
Grunker

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks! Just need to get the Axii Sign down now and I'm almost good to go.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #35
vierasmarius

Quote:
Sorry for the thread-necromancy, but I'm having a new problem with another power I was hoping you guys could help me with.

I'm making the Axii-sign, which is basically a different version of a jedi mind trick. My basic thought of how to do this was like this:

Level 1: Mind Control with Accessibility (only on sentient beings) -20%, Costs 1FP per use -5%, Emotion Control -50%, Sense-based (eye-contact) -20%. Total cost -95% (-80% because of max limitation rule). So we end up with a power costing 50 (-80%) which is 10 points.

Level 2: Same as above but costs 2FP per use and with Suggestion (-40%) instead of Emotion Control. However, this adds up to -90% (-80%) - so the cost would be the same as the level 1 power even though this power is strictly better except for a slight increase in FP cost! Even with the same FP cost, it would still cost the same.

Level 3: Same as level two except it costs 3FP per use and it has Independent (+70%). The limitation modifier is now -95% (-80%), so the total cost is 50 (-10%) which is equal to 45 points!

One thing to keep in mind is that, for powers with escalating FP costs, it may work to make them Alternate Abilities - that way characters can choose how much they wish to spend, letting them intentionally tone down the power to conserve energy. Thus, Level 1+2 costs 12 points total, while Level 1+2+3 costs 49.

Something else you could do here (which is not RAW by any means) is to treat Emotion Control and Suggestion as different versions of the base power. In other words, instead of Mind Control (Emotion Control) costing 50cp -50% = 25cp, it would instead be a base 25cp. Likewise, Mind Control (Suggestion) would be a base 30cp. Further limitations would be added on top of that, making Level 1 (base 25, -45%) 14 cp, Level 2 (30 -50%) 15 cp, and Level 3 (30 +30%) 39 cp. As you can see, this does raise the cost of lower levels, but gives them a slightly smoother cost progression (since none are hitting the max -80% limit).

Combining these two suggestions, Level 1 costs 14, Level 1+2 costs 18, and Level 1-3 costs 45.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #36
Grunker

Thank you, thank you! I think I am doing the alternate ability right now, am I not? I'm working everything from the level 1 ability as in the example in the original post (witchers can use whichever level of the power they wish as long as they've purchased that level). Doing that + making a new base power (though not RAW, it is hardly unbalanced) should work fine.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #37
Gnomasz

Quote:

I'd go with Magic Resistance and DR, both with Force Field +20% and Active Defense, -40%, making them work like DX-based parry (that just doesn't prevent being hit, but adds MR or DR if successful).
Old 05-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #38
Grunker

Sounds good too. Where do I find Active Defense? BS?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #39
Langy

Quote:

Axii shouldn't have 'only on sentient beings' - Geralt has been shown to use it on other creatures as well, such as horses. That should solve your issue, I think.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #40
Grunker

Yeah I'm going to change that. Though how I'm not sure. He can't use it on plants or the undead I'm pretty sure. Basically he can't use it on "mindless" creatures rather than non-sentient ones AFAIK.

Tags
adaptation, fantasy