Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #21
Kalzazz

Default Re: Simple way to Play GURPS and other RPGs online

I like using IRC, in particular because I can use Mibbit to get on IRC from a computer lab or anywhere, but I've used IRC long before I used computer labs

I like google docs also
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #22
ClayDowling

IRC would also be my preferred method, with necessary visual or audio resources stored on a web server somewhere.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #23
Gudiomen

I guess, given a choice, very few people would prefer online play over live play. It's just we end up having to do it because the group moves appart and doesn't want to stop playing together, nobody near you plays GURPS, work and family makes meeting at the same time difficult (leading to play by e-mail or play by post).

I've been playing online since... forever, now. Some of us manage to scare up a group every now and then, but our style is so compatible we like playing with each other most of the time. And we each live in a different corner of the state, with our jobs and families to juggle.

In my experience you only really need any sort of fancy resource for combat. Regular play can be done by instant messaging (MSN, ICQ back in the day) or, preferably, by voice.

Our ideal routine is as follows:
- 1 weekly skype meeting thursday nights (gets cancelled more than we'd like)
- play by post on our private forum, as time allows, in between thursdays
- when combat arises we use MapTool on our thursday online meetings
- we meet live on big holidays or vacations when we can, averages around 1-3 times a year

I didn't find MapTool complex, it gets maps set up really fast, and the miniatures are easy to use, even rolls the dice for you if you don't want to use the honor system. It can get very sophisticated, I have the GURPS rules modules, sheets and macros all installed for great fun, but it's not something we need, it's just fun for me because I like tweaking stuff.

If we didn't enjoy combat so much we'd probably have no need for a VTT.
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #24
ClayDowling

We've moved to opposite-ish corners of the state, about an hour apart from our original home base. That's close enough we can usually do it, but we only meet about once a month. Careers and families are like that. I don't see online play ever being an option with my group, since some of our players are technology-challenged.

I'm wondering if Google Hangouts would be a workable solution though. Pretty low-maintenance for setup.

As for finding a local group, finding compatible play styles is probably the hardest part. Finding a group to play GURPS is easy if I offer to run the game, and I do the heavy lifting on character creation the first time around. Once people see the flexibility of the system, they stop worrying about the overwhelming list of options and start looking for the ones they want.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #25
doulos05

What about OpenRPG? Anybody use that? How's that for ease-of-use, native GURPS support, etc?
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #26
Mateus

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos05 View Post
What about OpenRPG? Anybody use that? How's that for ease-of-use, native GURPS support, etc?
I also wnat to know about Open RPG...
Old 01-30-2012, 12:30 AM   #27
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
I also wnat to know about Open RPG...
Pious Paladin seems to be the next version of OpenRPG.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:20 AM   #28
Mateus

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
Pious Paladin seems to be the next version of OpenRPG.
Thanks Demonsbane. I will keep an eye on it.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:59 AM   #29
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

IMHO, Google Hangouts are the ideal replacement for skype, because you get group video chat, and it switches viewpoint to who is actually speaking. It's also browser based, though IIRC, it requires a browser plugin (that is installed from the browser itself), but it works on Win/Mac/Linux. I know that it also works on Android through the Google+ app, and I guess that also goes for iOS.

As for the VTT part, well, Maptools works quite well, it's cross platform (Win/Mac/Linux/anything that can run a full Java Virtual Machine. I just wish they released a version for Android tablets, but the whole GUI part would need heavy rewriting.)

I just wish that SJG gave authorization for the full GURPS framework, as IIRC, they considered that it exceeded what the online policy allowed.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:51 AM   #30
Tinman

Maptools works amazingly well. The only thing you need is a voice system.
My friends from college use it for our game group. We now live scattered all over the country (NY, NJ, IL, CO, CA). For voice We use skype.

Maptools is a great program. You can set the stats on the tokens so you don't need to keep looking them up. You can set it so only the GM sees the stats of the NPC's. You can set up individual macros for rolling. My knife swing dmage & my knife thr damage. You can set some macros so the player rolls & only the GM sees the result. Thats great for perception rolls, ect...

For anyone who's using google docs (or nothing), I urge you to checkout maptools.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
virtual tabletop, virtual tabletops