Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #11
Mailanka

Default Re: [DF] Homebrew Monsters

Oh me wrist. I'm taking a break. After I get back, I'll post the Epics and then get to the bestiary itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
How about some insanity radiating beasts like Lovecraftain Elder Things? Maybe exposure to such creatures makes the character go insane or develope phobias or other mentally debilitaing things?
It's in the Epics. That's coming.

There's also a list of Things From Beyond in the Bestiary. I think you'll like the Star-Voice.

EDIT: Also, thank you, everyone, for the kind words. I had an irrational bout of stage fight before I hit that first "post thread" button. I'm glad to see it was unwarranted ^_^
Mailanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #12
Nymdok

Nice! Keep it up!

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #13
Buzzardo

It's not everyday that I both add a forum thread to my favorites and send a link to it around, but today's that day. Excellent work. Give your wrist some ice for me.
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:24 PM   #14
Taliesin
Banned

This is very, very well done. I'm going to cut and paste all of you posts into one document and put it in my "Big book of GM Awesomeness" to use whenever I create Fantasy antagonists.

Thanks for sharing all you hard work.
Taliesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:28 PM   #15
_Civ_

Awesome posts, thanks! Can't wait to see what's in the bestiary!
_Civ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:30 PM   #16
Mailanka

Default Epic Monsters

Epic Monsters

Some monsters are well and truly beyond the run of the mill horror that stalks the land of Dungeon Fantasy. You can't just run up to them and hit them over and over with your sword until they die. They're beyond that. Space and time are toys in their hands. They are immortal, god-like, unkillable. Facing an Epic Monster is the sort of deed that men record of in their legends and myths.

Be warned: These Epic templates are designed to make the monster "unbeatable." They force the players to "think outside the box" and approach the battle in some round-about way. Use these templates sparingly. Orcs and goblins should never be epic, but dragons and elder gods usually are. Epic Templates work best with bosses, but certain amazing worthies might be Epic too. I can't fathom an epic Minion. The very thought terrifies me.

Epic Destruction

The greatest of monsters kill with as little as a touch or a glance. Often, their foes don't even know what killed them. Whether it's the Gorgon's stony gaze or the Reaper's icy tough, facing a monster with these powers is to face the certainty of death.

When using monsters with Epic Destruction powers, understand that you bring to the table the very real possibility that a player character will die. He'll slip up, or he'll fail to kill the monster in time, or he'll do something stupid in a battle with no margin for error. Be prepared to either accept the consequences of that, or have some plans established that will let the players live without diminishing the threat of the epic monster you have so carefully crafted.

In addition to being extremely deadly, Epic Destruction powers change the face of the battlefield. They force the players to fight in new ways or under new circumstances. This is the real purpose of the Epic Destruction powers (and really all of the Epic Powers): to force the players to approach the situation in a novel fashion.
  • Stone Visage: Any who look upon the face of the monster must instantly roll HT or turn to stone. Mechanically, being stoned is identical to being in a coma: Your character cannot move or act until he is “healed” either by a Stone to Flesh spell, or by having the “Curse Dispelled” or having his statue returned a place of healing. A statue weighs twice as much as the original person did, for the intents of encumbrance. You can look at the reflection of the monster, but anyone who looks at the monster directly must make the HT roll.
  • Doom: Three times per day, the monster may cast a Malediction upon one of his foes. Take a concentration action and roll Will, subtracting the distance between the target and the monster in yards as a penalty. The target must win a quick contest against the monster's roll with the lower of his HT-3 or his Will-3. Failure results in the character's death, something the target instantly knows. This death sentence is delayed by 1 minute. If at the end of that minute, the monster who inflicted the curse is still alive, the character dies. Doom is ideal for adding a hard time limit and a sense of desperation to the fight.
  • Armageddon: Once per battle, the monster unleashes a wave of complete and total destruction that completely rewrites the battlefield. First, the monster must Ready his attack over the course of 4 turns. The fact that he's powering up a major attack is readily obvious to anyone who glances his direction (glowing balls of energy, intense auras, the trembling roar of his power). When he has finished readying his power, he attacks, unleashing an explosive 20d blast of burning (or crushing, if you prefer) damage. This strikes everything within a twenty yard radius, though each yard between the target and the monster reduces the dice of damage by 1. After the smoke clears, the battlefield has changed in some profound way that the monster has no control over (it is set on fire, or covered in ice, or filled with rivulets of magma or torn apart and filled with cracks and gulleys, whatever is appropriate for the “element” of the attack). This should involve a new map in tactical combat, or new movement rules in normal combat.
Epic Mastery

The greatest of monsters unleash sweeping disasters that cover a vast area. Dragons call up flames or storms. Serpents summon floods. Demons rewrite space and time so entire villages just vanish. To face these monsters is to have the very ground pulled out from under your feet.

Epic Masteries focus on making broad changes to the battlefield. As a result, they are among the “safest” of the Epic Monster Powers to use, as they are suitably flashy to impress the delvers with the severity of the enemy without completely overwhelming them. Still, battling a monster with one of these powers is an exercise in creativity, for they rewrite the rules of the battle in their own favor.
  • Swallowing Void: The monster casts everything into complete and total darkness. An area up to 32 yards in radius plummets into complete (-10) darkness. He may move this area about, shifting the shape of the shadow radius, or even casting it far away from him. The borders of the area aren't clear, representing vague twilight areas that trick a person into walking deeper into the shadowy mist. Furthermore, the Void-Caster has Dark Vision (which allows him to see perfectly well in his unnatural shadows) and Silence +4, so nobody will hear him coming.
  • Typhon's Grasp: The monster can control the weather, summoning a vast and terrible storm that covers an area of up to 1000 yards in radius (over a mile wide). He concentrates and then makes an IQ roll. If successful, he summons the storm. Every turn, the monster my direct the winds and rain to offer a +2 or a -2 to anyone (for example, impeding vision or ranged attack rolls) he wishes. Furthermore, every turn he gets a two free attacks, in addition to his normal actions. The first is a lightning blast (3d(2) burning) and the second is a sweeping wind (3d force that causes x2 knockback and no wounding). The powerful storm threatens to escape the monster's grasp, though, and anytime something unusual or surprising happens, the monster must roll Will or temporarily lose control of the storm.
  • Path Breaking: The monster reaches out and shatters the tenuous ties of space that bind reality together, leaving a wild, shifting mess of strange pathways and weird, spatial distortions. The monster concentrates and then makes an IQ roll. If successful, he breaks space and may redirect space for the next minute. He may grant a +5 or -5 to any move action or to ranged attacks (as things turn out to be closer or farther than one expected) by concentrating for a turn. Furthermore, broken space doesn't “work” properly. The GM should decide the new ways players might navigate (doors lead to new rooms, the way to get up the stairs is to go down, etc) to get around the room. If the GM is using tactical combat, consider "shuffling" some of the miniatures around, or changing maps, to represent the rewritten paths of space.

Last edited by Mailanka; 10-27-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #17
Mailanka

Default Epic Monsters con't

(Because this post was too darn long!)

Epic Manipulation

The greatest of monsters can manipulate the very nature of reality. The rules of the conflict shift around them in their favor, but subtly, sometimes imperceptibly. The Faerie plays with time, and the mad thing from beyond the borders of reality steals people's sanity. To face one of these monsters is to struggle to maintain your grip on reality.

Epic Manipulations resemble Epic Masteries in that both are relatively safe, but interesting powers that complete change the nature of the fight. Epic Manipulations tend to be more subtle, internal and direct than Epic Masteries, however. They focus on changing the rules for an individual, rather than for the entire battlefield.
  • Madness: The monster utters a dark word or unveils its real form as an attack action, and everyone within 8 yards must make a Will Roll -4 to resist. For every yard between themselves and the monster, add +1 to their roll as the distance between them keeps them safe. Furthermore, only those who see or hear (choose one when creating the monster) are affected. Those who fail gain a -15 point mental disadvantage of the GM's choice, which lasts for 1 minute per point the player failed by. GMs are encouraged to be creative with the insanity they inflict on the players: rather than knocking them into catatonia, use it as a chance to force them to be creative around their newly acquired derangement.
  • Reality Rewrite: The world does not work around the monsters as it should. Everything that can go wrong, does go wrong. The monster gains Serendipity 3 (Wishing) and Extraordinary Luck (Wishing), which allows him to force any roll in his presence to be rerolled twice, with him choosing the result he likes best, once every thirty minutes of gameplay, and he may have three “lucky” events occur in his favor whenever he wishes, and in whatever form he wishes.
  • Grandfather Clock: The monster manipulates time. He may unleash a Malediction upon anyone he wishes by rolling Will (penalized by distance as normal), which the target resists with IQ (IQ-1 for Decelerate). If the target fails, the monster may inflict Accelerated Time Rate 1, Decelerated Time Rate 1, or Paralysis on his foe. He may do this as often as he wishes, but he may only have one such effect active at a time. To start a new effect, he must end a previous effect (Thus, a monster who has first paralyzed someone and now wishes to Accelerate someone else must first release the paralyzed target).
Epic Durability

The greatest of monsters cannot die. Hero after hero may try, but their arrows bounce off of unbreakable scales, or the monster merely rises from the grave again and again and again. Not even Hell is strong enough to keep these monsters down.

Epic Durability presents a challenge to the players who must determine a way to best kill the monster, because without clever tactics, they can't. To make this sort of encounter work, you must make the defeat of the monster imperative, lest the players choose to fight something altogether more mortal. Further, such an encounter can be exceedingly frustrating as all their efforts go to nothing. Be prepared to reveal the monster's vulnerable point or move the story along before it drags down into endless futility.
  • Immortal: The monster is Supernaturally Durable, which means it ignores stunning and penalties until it reaches 0 HP, and only suffers ˝ movement penalties when it reaches -1 x HP. The monster can only die if a single attack inflicts 10 x HP in damage, or targets the monster's vulnerability, which must be chose before hand (Suggestions: Magic Weapons, Steel, Wood, Silver, Ornate Weapons)
  • Total Regeneration: The monster heals as quickly as its opponents damage it. Every turn, the monster heals 10 HP (remember the rules for high HP and healing: So a 50 HP monster heals 50 HP per turn). Furthermore, the monster has +10 HP, and either a vulnerability (x2 damage from an occasional material, or x4 from a rare, such as Silver), or its Regeneration has a dependency limitation, requiring the presence of Mana or Unholiness or “remaining in touch with the ground” or something similar.
  • Dark Reincarnation: Upon dying, the monster instantly regenerates to full health and manifests a new, even more powerful form. This new form has +5 ST, +1 DX, +1 SM, and gains 150 points worth of templates (1 epic Template, a greater template and a standard template or three standard templates). The monster only does this once per battle. If the players slay the Dark Reincarnation form, the monster truly dies.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:00 PM   #18
demonsbane

Well, Mailanka. You're really forcing me to study this thread!

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #19
Mailanka

Making Monsters

Creating a monster is as simple as taking a racial template and slapping some templates on it. Want an orc worthy? How about giving him the Killer, Swift Killer, and Hardy Brute templates? Want a Dragon? Just add Brute, Armored Brute, Killer, and an Epic Template or two.

Making monsters this way is fun. I discovered things I never knew before about how particular templates work, or what a race of monsters might look like. What follows are some example monsters made with the above system. I've included suggestions about their power level (whether they should be treated as minions, worthies or bosses), and further suggestions about roughly how powerful they are (Lesser monsters aren't much of a challenge, greater monsters are certainly a challenge, and Epic monsters either have an Epic template, or are just plain powerful). "Generic" templates are racial templates collated into "monster stat box" form, for easier use with the above system. They're not generally intended to be used "as is," though in some cases, they can be.

Oh, and some changes were made between creating these monsters and posting this here. I think I transferred all those changes appropriately, but if there is wonkiness among the stats, that's why.

(Now, how to get a monster stat box to work...)
(Bah, that's the best I can do, sorry :( )

Demons
The servants of hell who want nothing but the dissolution and damnation of mankind. Demons aren't generally inherently destructive. They prefer the conquest and enslavement of mankind. If they face the monstrosities from beyond reality, they often set aside their differences with humanity and fight to protect the world they hope one day to own.

Demons are summonable. All demons listed here can be conjured by a necromancer with the Summon Demon spell. Other options for demons include the (un)Holy Servitors from Dungeon Fantasy 5: Allies.

Demons are dangerous. Very dangerous. They should not be treated as a “generic threat” until the Delvers have achieved very high power levels.

Demon (Generic, Worthy)

This demon represents a generic, summonable demon from GURPS Magic. While it isn't the only possible demons heroes might face, it's serviceable as a foe and stands as a good basis for demons.

Code:
ST: 17/19*  HP: 25    Speed: 6.5
DX: 12      Will: 10  Move:  6/17*
IQ: 10      Per: 10
HT: 14      FP: 14    SM: +0
Dodge: 9   Parry: 10  DR:  5

Claws (14): 2d-1 Cutting
Sharp Teeth (14): 2d-2 cutting
Broadsword (12): 2d impaling, 3d+3 cutting

Traits: Appearance (Monstrous), Bloodlust (12), Bully (12), Callous, Cannot Harm Innocents (Only prevents direct harm to truly good or holy folk), Flight (Winged, +5 movement), Fragile (Unnatural), Immune to Metabolic Hazards, Immunity to Mind-Affecting Magic, Night Vision 5, Sadism (12), Selfish (12), Striking Strength +2

Skills: Acting IQ-1 [1]-9, Brawling DX+2 [4]-14, Broadsword DX [2]-12, Fast-Talk IQ+2 [4]-12, Hidden Lore (Demon Lore) IQ-1 [1]-9, Intimidation Will+2 [4]-12, Stealth DX [2]-12

Class: Demon

Notes: Generic 200 point Demon. Costs 20 energy to summon. Variations can exist. All too willing to negotiate. Truly Evil.
Imps (Generic Fodder)
These tiny, black, winged monstrosities with over-sized ears, lashing tails and sharp-toothed grins, spill free of hell whenever they get the chance to wreak havoc on the local area by stealing chickens, pulling on hair and generally making a mess of things. While wildly inept, they can be dangerous if there's enough of them, or they have the right training.
This represents the generic imp. They can certainly be improved upon by adding a template. Imps tend to be Stalkers, Tricksters or very minor casters. They tend to resemble their larger cousins, only less viciously cruel and more curious, impulsive and mischief-prone.

Code:
ST: 7/8     HP: 5     Speed: 6
DX: 12      Will: 10  Move:  6/12*
HT: 12      FP: 12    SM: -4
Dodge: 9   Parry: NA  DR:  0
Claws (14): 1d-3 cutting
Sharp Teeth (13): 1d-4 cutting

Traits: Appearance (Monstrous), Bloodlust (12), Bully (12), Callous, Cannot Harm Innocents (Prevents Direct harm of the truly good and holy folks only), Curious, Flight (Small Winged), Fragile (Unnatural), Immune to Metabolic Hazards, Immunity to Mind-Affecting Magic, Impulsive (12), Magery 0, Night Vision 5, Selfish (12), Striking ST +1, Trickster (12)

Skills: Brawl DX+2 [4]-14, Escape DX-1 [2]-11, Fast Talk IQ [2]-10, Stealth DX+1 [4]-13

Notes: Can be summoned in large batches (10 to 20 at a time) for 20 energy points, if, uh, they're what the caster wants. With a template, 20 energy points will summon about 4 imps. Willing to negotiate while its buddies get into your stuff and steal half of it! Truly evil. And mischevious.
Succubus (Greater Worthy)
The haunting, legendary sex demon that tempts men to their doom. This is a Demonic Luscious Trickster, and she'll attempt to use her wiles and her charms to defeat the heroes first (and note her considerable social skills). If that fails, she can certainly fall back on her demon traits for combat skills. She makes a decent boss level monster too, against beginning players.
Code:
ST: 17/19*  HP: 25    Speed: 6.5
DX: 12      Will: 12  Move:  6/17*
IQ: 12      Per: 15
Dodge: 9   Parry: 10  DR:  5

Claws (14): 2d-1 Cutting
Sharp Teeth (14): 2d-2 cutting
Broadsword (13): 2d impaling, 3d+3 cutting

Traits: Appearance (Beautiful, Universal), Awe, Bloodlust (12), Bully (12), Callous, Cannot Harm Innocents (Only prevents direct harm to truly good or holy folk), Flight (Winged, +5 movement), Fragile (Unnatural), Immune to Metabolic Hazards, Immunity to Mind-Affecting Magic, Lecherousness (12), Night Vision 5, Sadism (12), Selfish (12), Striking Strength +2

Skills: Acting IQ-1 [1]-11, Brawling DX+2 [4]-14, Broadsword DX [4]-13, Fast-Talk IQ+2 [4]-14, Hidden Lore (Demon Lore) IQ-1 [1]-11, Intimidation Will+2 [4]-17, Sex Appeal HT+6* [8]-20, Stealth DX [2]-12

Notes: 300 point Demon. Costs 30 energy to summon. Will attempt to use Awe and Sex Appeal in negotiations. Truly Evil.
Pit Fiend (Greater Worthy)
These fiery demons have flaming skulls and stunningly magnificent wings. They strike with all the fury of hell, disregarding their own safety as they explode their enemies in devastating flames.

Pit Fiends frenzy in battle, trying to land one of their burning blows as quickly as possible, and then finish their enemies with their claws.
Code:
ST: 18/20*  HP: 25    Speed: 6.75
DX: 13      Will: 10  Move:  6/17*
Dodge: 9   Parry: 13  DR:  5
Claws (21): 2d-1 Cutting
Sharp Teeth (21): 2d-1 cutting
Burning Touch (21): 3d burning, + follow up 2d burning for the next 3 seconds (3 uses per fight)

Traits: Appearance (Monstrous), Berserk, Bloodlust (12), Bully (12), Callous, Cannot Harm Innocents (Only prevents direct harm to truly good or holy folk), Flight (Winged, +5 movement), Fragile (Unnatural), Immune to Metabolic Hazards, Immunity to Mind-Affecting Magic, Night Vision 5, Sadism (12), Selfish (12), Striking Strength +2

Special Powers: Burning Touch (Unholy)

Skills: Acting IQ-1 [1]-9, Brawling DX+8 [4]-21, Broadsword DX [2]-13, Fast-Talk IQ+2 [4]-12, Hidden Lore (Demon Lore) IQ-1 [1]-9, Intimidation Will+2 [4]-12, Stealth DX [2]-13

Notes: Generic 300 point Demon. Costs 30 energy to summon. Willing to negotiate before battle, after it has engaged, it's a lost cause. Truly Evil.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #20
Mailanka

(Demons cont'd)

Hell Knight (Lesser Boss)
These powerful, armored demons serve as the captains of Hell's legions. While not as intelligent as some of the greater demons, they are more than capable of holding off an entire band of experienced delvers on their own. With sufficient DR to stave off even the most powerful weapons and complete mastery of their blade, a party of Delvers should think twice before taking one on.

Hell Knights take to the front-lines, using their considerable defenses to hold off the Delvers while his other demons do the necessary work to take the players down. He's also very capable of killing off players.
Code:
ST: 19/21*  HP: 30    Speed: 7.5
DX: 15      Will: 12  Move:  7/20*
HT: 15      FP: 16    SM: +0
Dodge: 11  Parry: 14  DR:  25

Claws (19): 2d-1 Cutting
Sharp Teeth (19): 2d-2 cutting
Hell-rune Dark-sword (21): 2d+5 impaling, 4d+3 cutting (Fine, Unbreakable, Cursed)

Traits: Appearance (Monstrous), Bloodlust (12), Callous, Cannot Harm Innocents (Only prevents direct harm to truly good or holy folk), Combat Reflexes, Flight (Winged, +5 movement), Fragile (Unnatural), Immune to Metabolic Hazards, Immunity to Mind-Affecting Magic, Life Bane, Night Vision 5, Sadism (12), Sense of Duty (Demons), Striking Strength +2, Vulnerability (Holy Weapons x2)

Skills: Acting IQ-1 [1]-9, Brawling DX+4 [12]-19, Two-Handed Sword DX+6 [24]-21, Fast-Talk IQ+2 [4]-12, Hidden Lore (Demon Lore) IQ-1 [1]-9, Intimidation Will+2 [4]-14, Stealth DX [2]-15

Notes: 400 point Demon. Costs 40 energy to summon. Willing to Negotiate if not on a mission. The Hell-Rune Dark-sword is lootable (the dark armor is not): treat it as a fine, unbreakable Greatsword with a curse on it, determined by the GM. The curse often seems beneficial when it really isn't. Truly Evil.
Asmodai (Epic Boss)
Asmodai broods upon his obscene throne of iron, while flesh copulates and undulates all around him. He has violet skin and long, silken black hair, with graceful limbs and powerful muscles. His long, regal features contemplates all around him as he looks at the world through black, sparkling, star-filled eyes. His feet are cloven, and long talons extend from his fingers. He wears a black iron cross on his chest, huge and heavy, and bears a massive axe with a long chain that binds his weapon to his thick, leather belt. Despite his elegant stature, he looms surprisingly tall, standing nearly 8' in height.

Asmodai is one of the lords of hell, a minor noble who commands a suitably vast army and owns a sufficient swathe of the inferno to gain the respect of his peers. He rarely ventures to the mortal world, but when he does, he seeks out the love (or just the pleasure) of a mortal woman. The pure and chaste fascinate him, but his impulses inevitably taint her, so he discards his bride and broods, pondering how to acquire a new one.
Code:
ST: 28/30*  HP: 50    Speed: 7
DX: 12      Will: 17  Move:  7/20*
IQ: 12      Per: 102
HT: 16      FP: 18    SM: +0
Dodge: 11  Parry: 12  DR:  10

Claws (17): 3d Cutting
Sharp Teeth (17): 3d cutting
Chained Great-Axe (20): 5d+7 cutting (Very Fine Meteoric Great Axe, Unbalanced)

Traits: Appearance (Handsome), Bloodlust (12), Bully (12), Callous, Cannot Harm Innocents (Only prevents direct harm to truly good or holy folk), Combat Reflexes, Flight (Winged, +5 movement), Fragile (Unnatural), High Pain Threshold, Immune to Metabolic Hazards, Immunity to Mind-Affecting Magic, Lecherousness (12), Night Vision 5, Terror (-1 to check), Sadism (12), Selfish (12), Striking Strength +2, Vulnerability (Silver, x2)

Special Powers: Armageddon, Dark Reincarnation (Gain +15 ST, +3 DR, +3 SM, and the Fire Casting special power and Terror -1 increases to Terror -3 and forces a new check)

Skills: Acting IQ-1 [1]-11, Brawling DX+5 [16]-17, Two-Handed Axe DX+4 [20]-16, Fast-Talk IQ+2 [4]-14, Hidden Lore (Demon Lore) IQ-1 [1]-11, Intimidation Will+3 [8]-20, Sex Appeal HT+4*[8]-20, Stealth DX [2]-12

Notes: Costs 75 energy points to summon. All too willing to negotiate. After he is slain, he erupts into his true form as a vast, malefic being lashing out with bolts of explosive fire. His Armageddon resets if he reincarnates. His Chained Great Axe is lootable. Truly Evil.

Last edited by Mailanka; 10-27-2009 at 03:21 PM.

Tags
bestiary, dungeon fantasy, homebrew, monsters